LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lr3/4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 12:34 PM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lr3/4? - VIN Confusion

Got the following back on a VIN search of an '06 LR3 -
Discovery III (IV) / LR4 HSE 7 seats
Anyone know what this means?

Last edited by NoVARova; 01-28-2019 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Edit for vague/ambiguous original title
Old 01-28-2019, 01:48 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

It means the VIN search engine is wrong.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:21 PM
4wd High

Thanks. That seems like the most straightforward and reasonable answer. Interestingly the LR3 badge (on this particular vehicle) was at some point replaced with an LR4 badge. I don't really understand why someone would do this and how that information would then get reported to a MVR database. Sucks because it's looks pretty clean, has the HD package, and has (relatively) low miles. But this bit of subterfuge is a pretty alarming red flag.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I am curious though: What VIN search engine did you use? Have you run a carfax on it? I wouldn't walk away from it just because someone took off a badge and wanted to make it look to the untrained eye to be an LR4 and the VIN search utility that you used was screwed up. It still may be a decent Rover.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:46 PM
4wd High

Vindecoderz (which as I type it feels somewhat less than trustworthy) - https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check...AG25426A372474. And in the interest of full disclosure, here is the vehicle in question - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Land-R...frcectupt=true.

It occurs to me that Vindecoderz probably just employs some sort of website scrapper to aggregate the information on any given vehicle and occasionally it picks up (and reports) something odd. Nevertheless, I have found it quite accurate (small sample size, locally confirmed) in identifying those LR3s with locking rear diffs.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

So someone did want to camouflage it as an LR4. Taillights, badging, and grill are all LR4 stuff. I also like the 'Sport' badge above the HSE badge(I really don't). Why they didn't do the fender flares as body color to really do the LR4 treatment is anyone's guess.

If you are serious about it - I would pay for the carfax or autocheck and see what the history looks like. The site you link may be good about packages, options, etc... but the history is what I would want to see. How many owners, wrecks, title work, odometer rollbacks etc...even service records. Its your cash, but $40 isn't much when you compare it to $8K.

The following users liked this post:
NoVARova (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 04:26 PM
4wd High

Thanks and agreed. There is zero chance I would pass on a Carfax report on this, or any other vehicle, if I were to become serious about pursuing it. I just stumbled across this listing today and was wondering what in the holy h@# was going on. Side note - I'm actually good with the grill, flares, and taillights (different strokes and so forth). The badging though just makes me feel sad for someone.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 77 Likes on 72 Posts

i like the look of it. the black and white is a good combo.

to answer the question, definitely just an LR3 with the LR4 grille and tailights added

Old 01-29-2019, 06:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 777 Likes on 651 Posts

None of that would bother me if everything else checks out. Seems pretty loaded up, even has DVD system.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:12 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So definitely an LR3 that visited the PowerfulUK site and bought the LR4 taillights, grill and side mirror covers.
The one thing that is odd is that all HSE’s came standard with Tilt, telescopic steering wheel.
This one doesn’t have it... could it be an SE instead? HD Pack is a plus..!

Quick Reply: Lr3/4?