LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 6-Spoke > 10-Spoke Rims

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 06:43 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DavC
I really like how those turned out. How was the pricing to get them done?

To thread poster, I would keep the 10-spokes or if you really want 19"s advertise to sell/trade them here or on expo if you want them gone. EVERYONE wants the 18" 10-spokes.
Hey DavC I did these myself. I used 4 cans of plastidip and sprayed them with the wheels on the truck. You just need to clean the rims real good, water soap, alcohol. Cover your disc brakes with garbage bags by pulling the bag through your spokes. I would also cover the tires. I didn't and sprayed heavy coats of plastidip around the rims edge and tires and wasn't able to peel off the excess like they show in the videos. Also the secret is light coats and don't forget to rotate the tires after 3 coats. I sprayed each wheel about 5 times.

The following users liked this post:
MaddMaxx (05-10-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 07:23 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mx468
Hey DavC I did these myself. I used 4 cans of plastidip and sprayed them with the wheels on the truck. You just need to clean the rims real good, water soap, alcohol. Cover your disc brakes with garbage bags by pulling the bag through your spokes. I would also cover the tires. I didn't and sprayed heavy coats of plastidip around the rims edge and tires and wasn't able to peel off the excess like they show in the videos. Also the secret is light coats and don't forget to rotate the tires after 3 coats. I sprayed each wheel about 5 times.
That turned out great! Looks awesome! I was thinking of doing the same thing, but also try to add a ring of red around the lip of the rim to contrast the black of the LR3. I don't have a contrasting car color like you.

I'm due for tires for my 18" 10 spokes but really contemplating a trade/$$ for the 19".

The following users liked this post:
MaddMaxx (05-10-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 10:11 PM
Winching

I would keep 18's because you have a better choice of tires better sidewall protection and lower priced tires. My 2 cents.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

We had the 19" on ours and I liked them plastidiped, , after I rebuilt the suspension I swapped the original 18 " back on cause the tires had better tread for alignment till we can buy tires, there is definitely more tires for the 18"

Old 01-30-2016, 08:32 AM
Drifting

Guys, black wheels are SO overdone and SO outdated. Don't do it. Leave em silver. . They really don't look good black. Take it as a PSA.

I have three sets of the 19" six spoke. I'd be happy to sell a set. I didn't carch your location though..

Old 02-04-2016, 08:04 PM
Winching

[QUOTE=bjwhite;551889]Guys, black wheels are SO overdone and SO outdated. Don't do it. Leave em silver. . They really don't look good black. Take it as a PSA.

That's why I used plastidip, If I want to go back to silver I just peel off.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:46 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! Thinking about getting to work on mine this weekend. I've been planning it for a while, just haven't quite got around to it.

Attached Thumbnails LR3 6-Spoke > 10-Spoke Rims-unnamed.jpg  
Old 05-14-2016, 09:34 AM
Winching
Default Just did my other Rover

Hey MadMaxx make sure you wipe around the tire with armor all before spraying your rims, it helps with peeling off the excess plastidip off the tires and you don't have to tape off the tires. i tired this on the tires on my Disco 2 which I just sprayed a few days ago. The plastidip came right off, also use a microfiber towel to clean off any excess spray/residue from tire.

Attached Thumbnails LR3 6-Spoke > 10-Spoke Rims-img_8980.jpg   LR3 6-Spoke > 10-Spoke Rims-img_8979.jpg  
Old 05-15-2016, 02:44 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patience is Key...

Hey MadMaxx make sure you wipe around the tire with armor all before spraying your rims, it helps with peeling off the excess plastidip off the tires and you don't have to tape off the tires. i tired this on the tires on my Disco 2 which I just sprayed a few days ago. The plastidip came right off, also use a microfiber towel to clean off any excess spray/residue from tire.

I am extremely happy with the results. Thanks for the input MX468! The armor-all on the tires saved loads of time. It peeled off extremely easy. (video
) I also made sure to lay it on thick around the tire sidewall (just to make sure).

I will say I spent way too much time on prep work-- just because I'm OCD and I would have hated myself if I had to start over because of a silly mistake. Unfortunately, I became extremely impatient on the 4th or 5th coat, which caused SLIGHT overspray and drip on one of the driver side spokes. I asked a buddy if he noticed anything and of course only I noticed-- but still. STAY PATIENT, it will turn out fine. Just don't rush.

I sprayed it this morning with Armor-all Extreme Wheel & Tire Shine and cleaned off any brake dust that may have dried on overnight with the dip. I still have a can left that I will use for touch ups. I noticed around my 6 spokes, the lip is very sharp and due to the plastidip drying and shrinking overnight, I need to touch up the corners. Again, only I noticed (haha) thanks again LRForum!!

Last edited by MaddMaxx; 05-15-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:59 PM
Mudding

I have managed to scrounge up some of the 18" 5-spokes for my 2007 LR3 and will be selling the 18" 10-spokes that came on it.

Attached Thumbnails LR3 6-Spoke > 10-Spoke Rims-image.jpeg  

Quick Reply: LR3 6-Spoke > 10-Spoke Rims