LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Air Suspension issue - won’t raise

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 04:19 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update: GAP tool arrived and scanned for faults

Originally Posted by houm_wa
I suppose when you get your GAP tool you can take off those rods and check the calibration and all that...
GAP diagnostic tool arrives, got it setup and pulled this fault code:
- C1A30-64 (AF): Both switches pressed at the same time - Algorithm based on failure - signal plausibility failure

Since the last post and before GAP tool arrived, I re-installed stock rods on the height sensors and vehicle has been holding air. However, front driver side is lowest than rest of vehicle. Red suspension light will come and give "max 30 mph" message then turns amber if speed is reduced to 25-30 mph or less.

Any ideas on what to check now?

Old 08-01-2018, 04:59 PM
2nd Gear
Default Need a reliable SUV

Hi,

I am currently a Toyota Tacoma owner ,but now have a family. I need something reliable and 4 wheel drive with more room. I love the LR3 ,but have never owned one and everyone I ask says that they are money pits and break down all the time. I have found the 2008 LR3 with high miles but I dont want to keeping something that is in the shop all the time. Please help guys. Thanks. Name is MIke FYI.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 456 Likes on 407 Posts

Mike, it's high maintenance but awesome....if you are going to take it off-road and love it. If not, go for a 4Runner.

@gpompa I'd check the calibration and consider re-calibrating it. Sounds like it could be a cross-articulation issue.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:03 PM
4wd Low

Mike, it's high maintenance but awesome....if you are going to take it off-road and love it. If not, go for a 4Runner.

@gpompa I'd check the calibration and consider re-calibrating it. Sounds like it could be a cross-articulation issue.
I swapped a 60a fuse (it tested ok) and cycled engine on/off.

Now, only getting the following suspension-related fault code:

Suspension
  • C1A00-1D (AF) Control module - General electrical failure - circuit current out of range
    ( on 01-08-2018 17:50:33 at 238698 km )
Still proceed with calibration?

Old 08-01-2018, 07:18 PM
Camel Trophy

Well....CHECK the calibration first. See if it's within spec and/or if it's reasonable. Then if necessary proceed. With the fault you are seeing now, what are the symptoms? Same? Usually the red fault with a tie-in to speed, it's a calibration issue or a bad sensor.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:49 PM
4wd Low

Well....CHECK the calibration first. See if it's within spec and/or if it's reasonable. Then if necessary proceed. With the fault you are seeing now, what are the symptoms? Same? Usually the red fault with a tie-in to speed, it's a calibration issue or a bad sensor.
Thanks again for the reply.

Same symptoms: front left dipped and opposite is much higher, cannot use have height switch to switch modes.

I used GAPtool Service Test function to check the air valve blocks. This allowed to get the front to raise and level out. The rear leveled as well BUT will not raise. So, it seems I may need to check the electrical connection to rear valve block (changed o-rings 2 weeks ago), or replace it.

Then, once I restore rear valve block I should be able to re-calibrate and all should be fine.

Am I on the right track? Anything else to keep an eye on?

Old 08-02-2018, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,490 Likes on 1,217 Posts

Sounds like you are tracking pretty well.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:31 PM
Camel Trophy

Have you checked the calibration numbers against the allowed range of the sensors?

Old 08-02-2018, 04:13 PM
4wd Low

Have you checked the calibration numbers against the allowed range of the sensors?

The culprit was the rear air block valve electrical connection wiggled itself loose and why the GAPtool couldn’t raise the rear of LR3. I snapped it back into place and Rover is happy. The right diagnostic tool, this forum, & online manuals are a life saver.

Easy and no cost to fix except GAP tool expense (or investment) which will save me thousands down the road !!!!

Old 08-02-2018, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,490 Likes on 1,217 Posts

Originally Posted by gpompa74
Easy and no cost to fix except GAP tool expense (or investment) which will save me thousands down the road !!!!

True story

Quick Reply: LR3 Air Suspension issue - won’t raise