LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Air vs Coil in depth comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 12:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 777 Likes on 651 Posts

When I see people say how much better XXX suspension is, its is almost always a suspension setup that is replacing old worn out suspension. Another example being poly bushings, of course they are suppose to be firm but they are typically replacing VERY worn out OEM bushings. On a side note, we know how damaging poly bushings can be on the LR3. A proper comparison would only involve new components both ways, period. Comparing new too old.... not a comparison at all.

Old 03-19-2022, 05:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 226 Likes on 199 Posts

The highway outcome was predictable, the only advantage with air is the ability to lower the vehicle for less wind drag at high speed.
With Llams i do drop it down if i'm doing a long highway run.

Old 03-19-2022, 10:10 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
When I see people say how much better XXX suspension is, its is almost always a suspension setup that is replacing old worn out suspension. Another example being poly bushings, of course they are suppose to be firm but they are typically replacing VERY worn out OEM bushings. On a side note, we know how damaging poly bushings can be on the LR3. A proper comparison would only involve new components both ways, period. Comparing new too old.... not a comparison at all.
Hi Dakota, checking in if this was a general statement or about our comparison. Both our rigs are 2008 and on original bushings. The struts on the coil are 8 years old and the springs are 5 years old. Hopefully everybody knows by this point that we’re a nonprofit raising awareness for our off-road programs that serve veterans in need to reduce suicide and depression.

Old 03-19-2022, 10:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 777 Likes on 651 Posts

Both.

Old 03-23-2022, 07:29 PM
Pro Wrench

Something i meant to mention earlier was that i don't see it done or any mention of turning DSC off once you are on a loose surface ie dirt or sand, and that it needs to be turned off again every time you restart the vehicle. DSC cutting in can have a big effect when you need extra wheel spin as it will limit power to reduce the spin.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Yeah I turn DSC off all the time. That is sort of my normal setup and is incorporated into my visual scan of the display. On the trail, I want to see icons for 4-Lo, HDC and DSC (off) and I know I'm good to go. Of course the TR selection matters too, but I'm in Mud 'n Ruts about 90% of the time. That said, for the purposes of this comparison, as long as both rigs were set up the same way in terms of gearing and differentials, it should be apples-to-apples.

Old 03-25-2022, 04:35 PM
Camel Trophy

@sdjp Saw the latest video, man that looked so fun!!

Was it just me or did you take a few easier lines with the coiler? It's understandable, but I think that means the EAS had a greater edge than what meets the eye. Couple things for Webb:

1. I would encourage him to take a peek at that 4x4 info display when it's possible during any mild obstacle. Those vehicles have center locking diffs. At one point he said "it's all traction control" and that is simply not correct. He later said the center diff does lock but it's "reactionary" and while that is technically correct, we are talking about milliseconds and it's before you lose traction (unlike with traction control) because it relies on a torque threshold to lock the diff, not a free-spinning wheel. Also, that center diff STAYS locked for a quite a while, again unlike traction control which is momentary.

2. Webb likes rigs with no lockers, he should try driving an LR3 with the HD Package. I don't want to downplay how awesome the LR3 is even w/o the rear locker; they rock and you don't really need the rear locker. That said, I have one of each (one open one HD) and they are not the same. My HD rig almost never uses traction control.

Nice video, thanks for making it. I am looking forward to the next one!

Old 03-26-2022, 05:05 PM
Pro Wrench

I think it comes down to use what you got as was mentioned, in any other coil/leaf sprung vehicle you'd be picking your lines for the best outcome anyway.
Regardless or air or coil it shows how good Rovers are with some decent tyres fitted.

Old 03-26-2022, 06:38 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by loanrangie
I think it comes down to use what you got as was mentioned, in any other coil/leaf sprung vehicle you'd be picking your lines for the best outcome anyway.
Regardless or air or coil it shows how good Rovers are with some decent tyres fitted.
Sure, it does come down to what you've got... absolutely, but that isn't the point of the comparison. They are comparing capabilities of the vehicles. So in that pursuit, they should be doing everything the same. If a less aggressive line has to be taken, or a bypass, that vehicle is less capable. It doesn't matter, in the end the EAS rig got the dub, I'm just pointing out a few dubious things.

Old 03-26-2022, 06:45 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Sure, it does come down to what you've got... absolutely, but that isn't the point of the comparison. They are comparing capabilities of the vehicles. So in that pursuit, they should be doing everything the same. If a less aggressive line has to be taken, or a bypass, that vehicle is less capable. It doesn't matter, in the end the EAS rig got the dub, I'm just pointing out a few dubious things.
Correct it is the point , i have had 3 rovers since 1994 all lifted on coils and they got me where i needed to go. EAS was a game changer but nothing a different line or a little more boot wouldn't overcome, really it changed a family orientated wagon that was super comfortable on road and very capable off-road which few vehicles in its class could achieve.
Sure on the same vehicle EAS has the edge.