LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Coolant Leak Location?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 02:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Glad you found it. Bleeding is an easy process but is nebulous to picture how it is done without someone doing a video of it or having already done it once.

Old 11-24-2020, 04:54 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 2001 D2. Wondering where i was losing coolant, I noticed that the screwed bleeder valve was in an odd position. Upon touching it, it snapped off. Cannot complain for a 20-year Disco. I called the local Land Rover dealer (Victoria, British Columbia) who had a couple lying around, so I ordered them. $10 for 2. Meanwhile, I could not get the remaining screw out of the t-assembly, even after drilling a hole and epoxing a pencil to try to unscrew. Able to get aftermarket upper hose assembly for $60 from Uro Parts. A simple replacement of the t-assembly with valve, and I have 3 new hoses to replace if the old ones fail.

Once you refill, do not start the engine if the valve is not in place, or you will get a spray of coolant. Opps on my part. After a couple of short trips, bleeding and topping up the coolant, you are all good to go. And you have extra bleeder screws in case this happens again, assuming that the screw can come out in the first place. By the way, a black light used at night will identify if you have any coolant leaks.

The following users liked this post:
rob bartleman (01-26-2021)
Old 11-24-2020, 05:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 715 Likes on 601 Posts

Is this another case of the forum software feeding a "suggested thread" or whatever?

Old 11-01-2023, 08:24 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you

Originally Posted by yockstar
Just wanted to salute the contributors to this string with a bit of success and deep gratitutde. DavC, after doing the bleed properly, I was placing the LH cover back on, and saw a slow stream, similar to that of a young kid w/ a runny nose, who was playing too long in the snow. This leak was facing one of the pully wheels of the engine space, and there was no way I would have seen this from the top of the engine space. Chuckling like a drunk bear, I could only shake my head.....knowing that this discovery only was made possibly from doing a proper bleed process. Thanks again, and here is the pic of the Lower Hose tubing, leading into the oil cooler, that I had to switch out:
View from the LH panel, glance of the trail of leaky hose.

Close up look at the trickle in action, facing and being shielded by a pully wheel.
Thank you for the excellent pics, as our beloved LR3 06 HSE 207k miles 15 years in our service, has developed this exact leak which on this "baby" of a coolant system, as I call this process having to "burp" her. Well, having done the normal things of replacing the brittle T joint, and the bleeder valve, and the Therm Stat, finally this insideous leak started, and brothers it is exactly in the worst location strategically for this acute colic system as it drains those deep fluid parts of the system which causes the rapid overheat and vapor lock of this design. It's my wife's car and I feel the "heat" let me tell you.
so, that is why I am so grateful for your excellent pics. You may have not only saved our D3, but my marriage as well.
Just a note: putting in the best full synthetic high mileage Casteroi oil has been a savior for the 4.4 Jag engine during these colic sessions. It's protected that purring cat so well. I highly recommend it.