LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 10:56 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LR3 Diesel

ORIGINAL: mikemeyer0

NO!!, 1, The powerstroke is such a piece, and i would never own one again, 2, why that big, heavy engine in a land rover? Land rover all ready has diesels if you want a diesel. How about just a small supercharger r turbo, i am talking like 7psi or so, that would be all the power you need.
Interesting point. I have two friends, one with a F250 6.0L Powerstoke and another with the Excersion 6.0L Powerstoke, and both swear by them. Say it's fantastic. However, I have heard that the first owners were beta testers for the engine.

I've read reports that the Jaguar 2.7 Tdi is good but underpowered in the new LR3. Maybe a 6.0L would be too much but the 2.7L seems too little.

Old 08-24-2005, 04:07 PM
4th Gear

I suppose a lot of it depends on what your expectations are... do you want this thing to perform like a sports car or a truck?

Yeah, the 2.7L may be small, but it's a very torquey motor (it produces more torque than the V8). Is the LR3 (with one under the hood) going to perform like your Bimmer? ...no, most likely not. However, from the accounts that I've read, most of the folks overseas that have opted for this engine have been pretty happy with it. It performs well on and off road and tows well, too. I'd be more than happy to give it ia try, if LRNA would bring it into the states.

Old 08-25-2005, 01:31 AM
Overlanding

Read it and weep:

LR3 Diesel in US: http://car-reviews.automobile.com/ne...h-america/223/

Diesel better than Hybrid: http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?...751&fSetId=381

ML 320 CDi: 225 hp, 380 lb-ft, 0-60 in 8.5 seconds, top speed 130 mph, 30mpg !!! Due out in USA in 2006.

Old 10-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look everyone is masterbating about a diesel in the us, one problem epa rulings and probability that you wont find fuel. The thought of submerging a truck in 4 feet of water up to your neck with a snorkal is pure fantasy here. The gas engines here you might as well tape a piece of pipe on the side of the truck becuase as soon the water enters the cab you have a 5000 dollar problem bcu, ecm abs srs, need i say more. The us is about 5 years behind in tech and love there manditory B.S. where is my defender??? It will be a piece mealed lr3 with bs half shafts that couldnt find its way out of a mud puddle. call your congressman and thank the ***. Recently we found a real mud puddle at lr university during training, guess the 2 trucks that made it through, dI and defender 90 (200 miles on it and I would kill my mother to have that body in my guarage at night) they have the camel dI's there two all diesel
thats a land rover

Old 10-05-2005, 08:55 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: rinmud

Look everyone is masterbating about a diesel in the us, one problem epa rulings and probability that you wont find fuel. The thought of submerging a truck in 4 feet of water up to your neck with a snorkal is pure fantasy here. The gas engines here you might as well tape a piece of pipe on the side of the truck becuase as soon the water enters the cab you have a 5000 dollar problem bcu, ecm abs srs, need i say more. The us is about 5 years behind in tech and love there manditory B.S. where is my defender??? It will be a piece mealed lr3 with bs half shafts that couldnt find its way out of a mud puddle. call your congressman and thank the ***. Recently we found a real mud puddle at lr university during training, guess the 2 trucks that made it through, dI and defender 90 (200 miles on it and I would kill my mother to have that body in my guarage at night) they have the camel dI's there two all diesel
thats a land rover

EPA emissions regulations may be getting tighter, but the EPA is also imposing new diesel fuel regulations which will force US refineries to produce low sulfer diesel fuel (the regs officially go into effect in 2007, phasing in through 2009, but incentives are in place for refineries to adopt the new standards in 2006). The lack of low sulfer fuel has been a major problem for regarding diesel engines trying to pass US emissions standards. This problem has been directly addressed, so... no, fuel probably won't be a problem in the future.

So far as submerging my vehicle... who cares?!!! I want a diesel because I want a torquey engine that can move the LR3 and still get decent gas milage, not because I want to try and make it swim!

Where the US stands in deisel technology is pretty much irrelevant in this arguement as we're talking about engines designed and built overseas. The LR3 is already available is every other market outside of North America with a 2.7L TDV6 which has been getting excellent reviews worldwide (in referrence to your "It will be a piece mealed lr3 with bs half shafts that couldnt find its way out of a mud puddle" remark. I'd buy one in a second (especially if I could get the coil over suspension option) if they'd import the damn thing.

Wheras the strict emissions regs are largely something you can thank your congressman for, the lack of a Diesel LR3 is not. That is a LRNA decision... LRGB has a great diesel LR3, which they are having success with worldwide and would love to bring into the states, but LRNA doesn't want to import it. The bottom line is: it CAN pass emissions in most states... LRNA COULD import it and sell it in many states, to give us a diesel LR3 option (VW and Mercedes are doing it with success), then worry about expanding sales into the more restrictive states when the low sulfer fuel regs start taking effect. LRNA is taking an all-or-nothing approach to the diesel option which I, for one, find incredibly frustrating and foolish.

Old 12-23-2005, 03:46 PM
Overlanding

Looks like M/B has finally stepped up to the plate and delivered a 7 seater SUV http://www.emercedesbenz.com/Dec05/0...lsOnTheGL.html

The 420 CDi V8 looks awesome: http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...id/2050518.006
0-60 in 6.1 seconds
150 mph (limited)
315 Hp
540 Lb-ft
25mpg !!!

...time to trade in the LR3? Land-Rover America, PLEASE WAKE UP!

Old 02-06-2006, 08:15 PM
5th Gear

What on earth would make you want to put a 6.0 Stroker in the LR3??? Do you know what those things weigh? I own an LR3 love the V8Jag Motor. Tons of Power. I also own an F350 CC 4X4 with the 6.0 (used to have a 7.3 both have there pluses) Tons on Power your right, in a vehicle that weighs over 8 thousand pounds and is made to tow whatever you throw at it. But the LR3 is a little small to be putting that heavy motor into. Where ya gonna mount the 5th wheel hitch? thats what strokers are for

Old 02-16-2006, 01:51 AM
Overlanding

ORIGINAL: cunrya

What on earth would make you want to put a 6.0 Stroker in the LR3??? ... But the LR3 is a little small to be putting that heavy motor into. Where ya gonna mount the 5th wheel hitch? thats what strokers are for
No, the LR3 already has a 2.7l turbo diesel and these engines are perfect for smaller vehicles. Check out the BMW 325TDi, the ML 320CDi and the Jetta TDi. All a blast to drive and 25%-50% more efficient than their gasoline counterparts.

I don't care what size they give us 6L, 4L or 3L. Just give us the option!

Old 02-16-2006, 12:51 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: VinDiesel

ORIGINAL: cunrya

What on earth would make you want to put a 6.0 Stroker in the LR3??? ... But the LR3 is a little small to be putting that heavy motor into. Where ya gonna mount the 5th wheel hitch? thats what strokers are for
No, the LR3 already has a 2.7l turbo diesel and these engines are perfect for smaller vehicles. Check out the BMW 325TDi, the ML 320CDi and the Jetta TDi. All a blast to drive and 25%-50% more efficient than their gasoline counterparts.

I don't care what size they give us 6L, 4L or 3L. Just give us the option!
Hey, I'm deffinetly with you on the give us a diesel option! Just very opposed to the weight of the 6.0L in something as nimble as the LR3. that motor would add a minimum of 1000LBS with all its necessary components. The British forums don't even talk about the gassers. Everyone overseas has a deisel it seems. A nice small diesel with a large turbo would be perfect for the LR3 if they can keep the backpressure low enough and still meet emisions standards. Seems to be the biggest issue related to performance as backpressure causes serious turbo lag and causes real driveability issues. Pretty much have to dump the clutch on a 6.0L manual to get out into traffic from a stop. Remove the Cat though and she becomes a tyre fryer.[8D]

Old 03-02-2006, 11:57 PM
Overlanding

Hello Ford, anybody home?

...D/M is set to launch five new diesels: http://www.newsday.com/mynews/ny-whc...,5419752.story

BMW, Honda, Nissan and Toyota to follow...