LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 EAS compressor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 09:19 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default LR3 EAS compressor replacement

Hi Folks,

After a great year with the LR3, I am unfortunately in a situation I have to sell it and Murphy's law kicked in today when someone came to view it. The EAS pump started to make a horrendous noisce like it was starting to eat itself. As such I can only assume its on its last legs, but funny enough still powers the system no problem.

My question is has anyone changed one them self, if so how did they get on - any nasty surprises to watch out for.

A real shame I have to sell as its a great truck and the amount of snow we have had where I live has not bothered me at all.

Anyway, if anyone has any tips or pointers they would be greatly appreciated

cheers

Old 12-19-2013, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I've had mine in and out a couple of times. It's pretty straight forward other than the top bolt that holds it to the frame rail. Also you push IN on the fittings to pull the air lines out.

I think there is a video where Justin from lucky 8 replaces one.

If replacing with new, it's a little different because you have to swap out a couple of air lines or adapters because the new compressors are a different make than the old compressors.

Also the new AMK compressors require different software on the computer or it will go bad again. (Even the old style hitachi compressor can benefit from a software update, but it's a different update).

Old 12-20-2013, 12:50 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's noisy but no warning lights (or even better check for fault codes) then it may be vibration on the chassis from loose bolts. I recall a recent post somewhere from an owner who actually had their compressor replaced and were dismayed to find it making more noise than the old one. Turned out the vibration was being amplified on the frame...worth checking ?

Old 12-20-2013, 04:35 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks folks, I'll have a look for any loose bolts as without any warnings or lights it seems a good idea to check for that first

Old 12-20-2013, 10:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Still lifting OK?

Perhaps the aluminum air compressor bracket is broken.

Have you jacked up the left rear corner to change a tyre or something like that. Tyre shops have a habit of inadvertently jacking on the plastic air compressor cover - well not so much jacking on it as one of the lifting arms or some portion of the jacking assembly presses on the plastic compressor cover.

The pressure transfers thru the cover to the aluminum air compressor bracket and snaps it. The compressor remains hooked up but then rattles about and that is what you may be hearing.

Usually when the compressor fails, it seizes and all you hear is silence - that and red lights and you are down on the stops.

Attached Thumbnails LR3 EAS compressor replacement-compressor-bracket-broken-img_1693.jpg   LR3 EAS compressor replacement-lr3-air-compressor-bracket-new-rqu500064-side-view.jpg