LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Electric Fan Clutch:

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,666 Posts
Default LR3 Electric Fan Clutch:

When I changed the oil on my wife's LR3 last weekend I noticed it started up and ran very quietly. I'm used to it starting up and then the fan clutch will engage and the idle will sometimes go up. However today (first time I've personally driven it in a while) I noticed I cranked it, and I could see the fan blade just barely spinning. I then went on a 4hr trip and during the trip the AC went from ok to basically nothing. Then if I turned it off for a bit it would be cold and then go hot again. When I was at my destination I popped the hood and once again the fan was just barely spinning. I'm honestly not familiar with electric fan clutches but mine no longer appears to be engaging/disengaging. That would certainly explain why the AC wasn't worth a darn as it's barely pulling any air thru the condenser/radiator.

I have a junk yard near me with a wrecked 06 Super Charged RRS, and they'd take 50.00 for the Electric Fan Clutch/Fan Blade, but upon looking it up online it appears to have a different p/n due to it being a 4.2L vs the 4.4L (however they appear identical). I can get a no name new unit (probably made in China) for 175.00, but I would really like to verify it's bad. Is there a sensor that controls it? Can I use 12v and engage/disengage it?

When I got home I monitored my engine temps and I was sitting at idle at 202F. Not sure if it goes by a certain temp or by the AC being on, but mine is doing nada zip nothing. I've owned it for nearly 3 years now and I swear upon startup it would always engage and roar and then when parked it would idle up and roar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I just don't want to hurt the HVAC or over-heat the engine at highway speeds (summer is coming).

Old 03-10-2019, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

It comes on at a set temp, ac off or on.

Mine isn't always locked at start up either. I will see about monitoring temps and seeing if I can spot where it engaged.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

I tried to remove it and TX is hard on plastic is all I can say..... I chipped 3 of the blades by just sliding the 36mm tool past em. You can basically grab a blade and just break bits off.

Also it was hilarious after I beat on it, and beat on it with zero success on removing it, I crank it to move it (put it all back temporarily until I get a replacement) and the stupid thing roars upon startup. However it quickly went to barely spinning within about a minute. It lasted a good long time, but I'd rather spend 175.00 now vs a new engine or all kinds of stuff if the fan blade failed.

I'm going to have to get the fan clutch removal set that also holds the pulley because all it wanted to do was spin. Granted my 36mm isn't brand new the old smack straight down didn't make it budge.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

I've read that alternator/battery issues can cause the fan to act odd. Not sure if thats true, but the Rover has a very unique power management system. I may be worth a quick check of the charing system and battery.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

Alternator is about a 2 years old, battery is maybe 1 year old and with my scangauge II both seem to be fine. 14.4v when running.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Thing is seized on there like a bad@ss!!!! Bent my fan clutch tools lol. Gonna try a small chain around the frame to one pulley bolt to keep the pully from rotating. Seems I’m not alone on them being a PITA to remove! New one has been ordered, so just trying to make it a 15min install. The Mrs. is already throwing a hissy fit on it being down... Women gotta love em, but what would she say to 500.00 for the part not counting labor or just 175.00 and call it done!

Old 03-11-2019, 02:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

Im just tossing this out there, but you do know its reverse thread, right?

Old 03-11-2019, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Fan holder and a big crescent is what I needed to pop mine free. Destroyed a fan clutch wrench

Old 03-11-2019, 06:39 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

As mentioned, reverse thread. Occasionally I have to add heat. I use one of those torch extension hoses.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Yep Clockwise to remove and I destroyed my 36mm fan clutch tool, & I even made a thin cresent wrench spread open & slip.....

I got smart & picked up 5ft of 500LB chain, loosened a bolt on that pulley put the chain on it, and ran it straight down to the frame...... It still refused to budge!!!! I then said F this, got my sawzall out and started cutting between the 36mm nut and the rotating clutch. I ended up breaking my sawzall blade & finished cutting the darn thing with a hacksaw (wasn’t gonna run into town just for a sawzall blade. Once it was all the way thru the fan got tossed into the trash pile, and I got my 36mm 1/2 axle socket, 3ft 1/2 breaker bar, and went to town on it. With the chain still in place it finally broke free, but even then it was hard to turn. On any 87-04 LR that is a 5min job lol, it took me nearly 4.5hr to get it off.

At least the install will take all of 5min! I lubed the threads & I’m now just waiting for the new fan clutch assembly to show up.

Quick Reply: LR3 Electric Fan Clutch: