LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Front Air Shocks lowered to the bump stops and won't rise

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 10:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 711 Likes on 599 Posts

And you can find no leaks? I suggest pulling the lines from the dryer and seeing if you can detect air output from the compressor. But really at this point, you need some proper codes for the air suspension system to figure why it's faulting. The only other solution is to pull part by part, check line by line, etc. The system seems complex at face value, but it's not terribly so. Just takes time/knowledge to go over it all.

For myself, the GAP tools, etc - way overpriced for what I need at this time, so I went with RSW Solutions software. About $180 USD shipped with a wireless interface for the ODBII port. You needs a PC/laptop. But it will let you monitor the suspension system and get codes. You can do a lot more with other bits of the vehicle too, like calibrate ride height.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:58 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
And you can find no leaks? I suggest pulling the lines from the dryer and seeing if you can detect air output from the compressor. But really at this point, you need some proper codes for the air suspension system to figure why it's faulting. The only other solution is to pull part by part, check line by line, etc. The system seems complex at face value, but it's not terribly so. Just takes time/knowledge to go over it all.

For myself, the GAP tools, etc - way overpriced for what I need at this time, so I went with RSW Solutions software. About $180 USD shipped with a wireless interface for the ODBII port. You needs a PC/laptop. But it will let you monitor the suspension system and get codes. You can do a lot more with other bits of the vehicle too, like calibrate ride height.
I was looking at the RSW Solutions software. Will it let me raise the front suspension manually to troubleshoot and find leaks?

Old 10-14-2018, 11:00 PM
Camel Trophy

No, it will not override a fault. A fault that interrupts the system is there to protect from further damage. You generally don't want to circumvent faults, you want to diagnose them.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:06 PM
4wd Low

No, it will not override a fault. A fault that interrupts the system is there to protect from further damage. You generally don't want to circumvent faults, you want to diagnose them.
I see. But it will let me read the fault codes and monitor compressor voltage/amp/temp? Do the codes read by my current OBD2 reader not identify the issue or you believe the RSW software will do a better job?

I apologize for all the questions.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:10 PM
Camel Trophy

For the EAS (Electronic Air Suspension) you can view these values:

Graph Live Sensor Data - Air Suspension Height Sensors
Graph Live Sensor Data - Air Suspension Temp Sensor
Graph Live Sensor Data - Air Suspension Pressure Sensor
Graph Live Sensor Data - Air Suspension - Steering Angle - Live Data
Graph Live Sensor Data - Air Suspension - Engine RPM - Live Data
Graph Live Sensor Data - Air Suspension - Engine KPH - Live Data
Graph Live Sensor Data - Air Suspension - Ambient Temperature - Live Data
Graph Live Sensor Data - Air Suspension - Longitudinal G - Live Data
Graph Live Sensor Data - Air Suspension - Compressor Voltage - Live Data

For codes, you should be able to read any of them. I have never owned or used a generic reader, all my vehicles either had on-board diagnostics or I use custom software. I would think that an ODII reader of the generic sort will mainly read drivetrain codes, not suspension codes. Where as the GAP tool or software is geared toward the Rover platform itself.

The following users liked this post:
rumi409 (10-14-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 07:14 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

It’s your compressor.

You will either have a pressure increases too slowly fault or exhaust valve fault.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:33 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by abran
It’s your compressor.

You will either have a pressure increases too slowly fault or exhaust valve fault.
Got it. I ordered a new compressor from Lucky 8. Can the old one be rebuilt, or you think it might be toast? It's got 13 years 93k miles.

Thanks

Old 10-15-2018, 09:05 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

I have never rebuilt one. After hearing on forums and from customers at our shop that do it, at max you are buying some time.

I always put in AMKs, I’ve yet to see on fail, but the oldest one I’ve seen was 7 years old.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:45 AM
4wd Low

For the EAS (Electronic Air Suspension) you can view these values:

Graph Live Sensor Data - Air Suspension Height Sensors
Graph Live Sensor Data - Air Suspension Temp Sensor
Graph Live Sensor Data - Air Suspension Pressure Sensor
Graph Live Sensor Data - Air Suspension - Steering Angle - Live Data
Graph Live Sensor Data - Air Suspension - Engine RPM - Live Data
Graph Live Sensor Data - Air Suspension - Engine KPH - Live Data
Graph Live Sensor Data - Air Suspension - Ambient Temperature - Live Data
Graph Live Sensor Data - Air Suspension - Longitudinal G - Live Data
Graph Live Sensor Data - Air Suspension - Compressor Voltage - Live Data

For codes, you should be able to read any of them. I have never owned or used a generic reader, all my vehicles either had on-board diagnostics or I use custom software. I would think that an ODII reader of the generic sort will mainly read drivetrain codes, not suspension codes. Where as the GAP tool or software is geared toward the Rover platform itself.
What does an air suspension code look like? The software I used, Car Scanner, actually had some ability to read suspension codes (codes that start with 'C' and 'U') and clear them. It's a free download from the google play store. You can get more info at CarScanner.info . The regular OBD2 softwares like, Torque, only read drive train codes.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:49 PM
Camel Trophy

Yes, compressors can be rebuilt. I did mine. It took a day to do mostly because I was not in a hurry and I did above and beyond the usual. Compressor is dead quit now. I also installed a new exhaust port.

I think I first looked at your codes in haste, they are too long but maybe they are legit. If you remove the last two digits, they are indeed codes.

Are you sure C1A02 is not actually C1A20 ? If so, thats basically a faulty compressor code. If it is in fact C1A02, its "Rotary Encoder Stuck In Intermediate Position" and from what I have read is due to a failed terrain response module.
C1131 is a system fault related to almost anything, sensors, pump, valve blocks.
C1A01 LED circuit???
U0421 Invalid data received from ride level control module

Keep in mind, one failure can cause other codes to trigger.

Also, if you switch compressor makes you WILL need to update the EAS module. This is also why I rebuilt mine. I have a Hitachi and will replace with the same if I ever need to.

Quick Reply: LR3 Front Air Shocks lowered to the bump stops and won't rise