LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 front differential breather cap (TSB replacement part)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LR3 front differential breather cap (TSB replacement part)

Is there a domestic source for this breather cap? Haven't heard back from the dealer yet and it's been over a week.

Thanks

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=23952

Old 10-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default You will have to order the breather in.

Fixes such as this one are obscure stuff, kind of like a starter motor or alternator. When you need one, it always seems to be special order.

Well I may be exaggerating about the alternator, but for me, the breather vent had to be ordered, and no, you will not find one like it on a Chev or a Toyota, hence no aftermarket as the vent is quite special - leading edge I would say. Toyota should pick it up in say ten years; GM, Ford and Dodge in five as they will implement new technology long before Toyota.

Here is the link again.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Breather Cap Front Differential installation

The following users liked this post:
K9Hexe (01-04-2016)
Old 10-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by bbyer
but for me, the breather vent had to be ordered
Where did you order it from?

Old 10-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Default my Land Rover dealer

I just ordered the breather vent, (and whatever else), thru my local Land Rover dealer. We have a simple arrangement - I pay him first, then he orders it; the item usually arrives in a few day time and they give me a phone call or I just drop in.

In my case, the local dealer puts their routine order in on Monday afternoon so if I get my request in Monday morning, the item usually shows up about Thursday if it is in stock at Land Rover in Eastern Canada. There is no extra shipping charge as the part is just added into their regular order. Sometimes the part has to come from LR USA so that takes a bit longer, but again, no shipping charge.

Yes, you pay full list, but on small stuff, with the included shipping and convenience, you are ahead. Also if you plan on keeping your 3, best you get on good terms with one of the dealers - you need some friends somewhere.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Thumbs up thank you

Originally Posted by bbyer
I just ordered the breather vent, (and whatever else), thru my local Land Rover dealer. We have a simple arrangement - I pay him first, then he orders it; the item usually arrives in a few day time and they give me a phone call or I just drop in.

In my case, the local dealer puts their routine order in on Monday afternoon so if I get my request in Monday morning, the item usually shows up about Thursday if it is in stock at Land Rover in Eastern Canada. There is no extra shipping charge as the part is just added into their regular order. Sometimes the part has to come from LR USA so that takes a bit longer, but again, no shipping charge.

Yes, you pay full list, but on small stuff, with the included shipping and convenience, you are ahead. Also if you plan on keeping your 3, best you get on good terms with one of the dealers - you need some friends somewhere.
thank you

Old 10-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like I'll be doing this swap as well. No idea if mine is clogged, but might as well replace it now.

Just to confirm, the new part number is: TAP500081 ?

Old 10-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Default SPO Valve part # LR019450

My parts invoice shows the front differential breather cap called up as SPO VALVE part # LR019450 where 0 is a zero.

Cost here in Western Canada was $CAN 27.53 plus tax.

The dealer did not have it in stock but had to bring it in from the warehouse in Eastern Canada.

Below is a link to my album re the breather cap change out.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Breather Cap Front Differential installation

Old 10-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Rock Crawling

Picked up the breather cap at the dealer yesterday; they had it in stock. ~$30 with tax. Will put it on today. Thanks for the TSB, pics and write-up bbyer!

Old 10-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Pro Wrench
Default only one trick so to speak

There is only one what I would call trick to the install. I mentioned it in the file but when you cut the old tube, do so at an angle and with the high side closest to the radiator. The reason is that the new cap has that ninety degree angle bend in it and when you slide the new one down on over the tube such that it sort of points towards the engine, you want the angle of the cut positioned such that internally the new vent is not blocked by the angle cut.

This is one of those fixes that you will never know you solved a problem that did not happen in the future.

K9Hexe (05-08-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 11:14 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Get this done!

Just got my breather cap from the dealership ($20), drove home, and followed the instructions to cut the top 1 inch or so off the existing breather line. WHOOOOSH!!! There was plenty of pressure in there. Glad I got this done before leaking.
Thank goodness for forums like this to bring this kind of stuff to our attention.
Cheers,

bbyer (05-08-2015)

Quick Reply: LR3 front differential breather cap (TSB replacement part)