LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 GAP iiD clues, suspension please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 01:42 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 226 Likes on 199 Posts

Persistence pays off.

Old 03-22-2021, 05:40 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the info!

Great thread, great details. Also, watched your Military Mobility YouTube videos. (I think that's you) Great videos of the LR3 in Moab tackling some pretty gnarly obstacles. Good luck in your venture.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:52 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MN_LR3
Great thread, great details. Also, watched your Military Mobility YouTube videos. (I think that's you) Great videos of the LR3 in Moab tackling some pretty gnarly obstacles. Good luck in your venture.
Yes that’s us! So awesome you enjoy what we’re doing! We’re out in Moab now and have just completed an extensive air vs coil comparison in two identical LR3’s except for the suspension of course.

We’re also running a Land Rover Essential course in the fall for 30 LR owners, with 100% of profits going towards our programs for veterans in need (we are a 501c3 non-profit). In this multi-day experience we’ll have our master instructors sharing what we teach to the military (I’m a 22.5yr Navy SEAL) in a laid back fun setting; bush mechanics, water fording, rocks, sand, recovery scenarios; it’ll all be there. Anyone can PM me for more info or contact us at militarymobility.com. Thx, Brian

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (03-22-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 08:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts
Default I also saw your video...

...enjoyed the hell out of it. In fact, maybe I'll watch it again!

Old 03-22-2021, 09:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

I found your commentary on the way the traction control works enlightening. My '05 has the locker and I almost never have the TC engaging. Maybe on a really steep hill if one of the front wheels goes over a hole and is suspended. I remember, though, at one of the LR Driving schools (the one in Carmel, in this case) we did some exercises in which the TC would kick in and we were instructed to just stay steady on the throttle, and the TC would pull us through. So, that is consistent with what you were saying in your video. While I wouldn't intentionally try to get TC to kick in, if you do get hung up for sure keep your foot in it.

My '06 that I picked up a few years ago doesn't have the locker, but I also don't do much more than light wheelin' and camping in it, so I haven't really experienced the differences. I suppose that it would rely a lot more heavily on the TC.

HDC: so many hack-journalists try to credit the slow descent that the LR3 is capable of entirely to the HDC. It's bogus....the fairly large crawl ratio is the real reason the LR3 can walk down such steep slopes. The HDC has its role for sure, such as for arresting torque when going over large dips, and it's really nice that it works in all gears, so if you fail a hill climb you can idle down in R and rely on the HDC to control your speed.

Also, good on your for pointing out the left-to-right dynamics of the EAS. So many people gloss over that, but those cross-link valves are integral to the EAS' magic.

Anyway, keep up the good work and thank you for your service. I wish I could find a way to do what you're doing as a profession.

Cheers,
Houm