LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GAP IID Tool - Videos

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 11:44 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default GAP IID Tool - Videos

After all the suspension part replacements, its time to bring my vehicle to the shop for a proper alignment. I have the IID tool and will be adjusting the regular highway height, off road height and lowering access height. I believe I have those parts figured out. Also the portion of putting the settings in tight settings during alignment. However, there are quite a few pages from their manual that are a quite a bit technical in measuring the wheels and calibrating. I've been looking through youtube, but I really have only been able to find videos showing the tools setup and basic functions. Wondering if any of you know of a great in depth video that would cover this and possibly setting the pennant height settings that stay enabled when tool is unplugged.

Thanks in advance,

Old 02-14-2020, 10:16 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply.

This is where I get 4” past off-road.

This is from lucky8
we use the rods and extended mode all the time without issues”

So if the rods add 2” and extended mode adds 2” you would get 4”

This does seem like a lot, that’s why I posted. I would only use this for emergencies (without having to doing the 2x6 trick).

Have you measured your max height difference using the GAP tool? They give numbers but also indicate they are skewed as you go to the extremes.
some real numbers would be great.

You said you have an off-road setting in GAP. What is that lift? And are you still able to go into extended mode? If so, how much higher does it go?

Old 02-14-2020, 10:27 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

@Mud Rover Was this reply meant for ME on that other post?

Here is the most basic way to summarize it: The rods can add 2" OR the IIDTool can add 2" (plus one more inch from Extended Height) but that is all. It's limited by the EAS. I think the Lucky8 folks were intending to say that with the rods they can still access Extended Height, but it's really what is normally Super Extended Height. The EAS only has a particular range, when you adjust settings upward you are sort of shifting each state in terms of height. So:

Access becomes Normal Height
Normal becomes Off-Road
Off-Road becomes Extended
Extended becomes Super-Extended
Super-Extended becomes OUT OF RANGE FAULT

This is notional, of course, because the height states/settings with the GAP Tool are customizable.....hope this clarifies it.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:16 AM
Drifting

Thanks guys,

I do understand the concept of the rods or GAP just shifting the 3 or 5 modes up 2”

Perhaps, the extended mode is where I am a bit confused.

When I did my test, I made a 2x6 about 2mm short of frame height and lowered from off-road mode. When it went into extended mode I went out to look and the frame was just 2-3mm above the 2x6. No real change. When I held the brake and lift button, it added a full 2”. So I assumed that is what is meant by extended mode. Is this extended and is there a Super extended? I’ve even seen a video on Super, Super extended mode on Youtube.

perhaps some real numbers would help.
From what I can tell there is 6-7 height settings

acesss -2”
highway triggered at speed. -1”
standard 0”
offroad 1 if in off road but over 30mph +2”
offroad 2 +3”
extended. No change +3”
Super extended. +5”

these are my measurements with no lift. If either lift gap or Rod can be run and the 2” super extended. That would be 7”. I’m not sure why anyone would say they can run a lift and extended mode if they just mean the dash said extended mode but there was zero lift.

Have you guys measured your lift changes?
I get there is a max range but would like to know that number in which the out of range is triggered.

Old 02-14-2020, 12:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts
Default I have not measured...

...but can see what you are saying and I think we are getting into symantics. Extended Height just gets you un-highcentered, I think. I don't think there is an "Offroad2." Over 30mph you get kicked back down to normal height.

Anecdotally, from offroad height there are about 3" available. You can get there using the toggle and brake after you've been high centered and go into extended OR you can get there with a GAP setting or rods.

Any attempt to go higher will result in an out-of-range fault. I have done that more than once, before I got my settings really dialed in.

There is little advantage to setting it higher than needed to clear your tires since all you are doing is tapping into capability that is already there, and you're raising your CG.

Old 02-14-2020, 03:09 PM
Drifting

Thanks for that info.

The 3” after off road height is what I was interested in. I will likely never go that far but have been in a situation already where it would have helped out.

I was stuck in monster ruts in swamp water. Backing back into the water was not an option, and there was a solid hump stopping me from going forward. There was no ability to trick the system to go into extended.

The kicker was I had to wade in swamp water to take the panel off to get a pull. I now cut a hole in the panel so that will never be an issue again.

Having the ability to temporary lift the disco 3” would have got me out for sure.

On a side note the Disco 5 does have off-road 1 and off road 2. The one is not really an option and is only triggered after speed.

From the manual:
The off-road height setting is dependent on the vehicle's speed. The Off-Road 1 height is 40 mm above the normal height setting, up to a maximum vehicle speed of 80 km/h (50 mph). The Off-Road 2 height is 75 mm above the normal height setting, up to a maximum vehicle speed of 50 km/h (31 mph). The suspension height can change automatically between these heights.

Thanks again,

I’m looking forward to getting the GAP tool from lucky8

Old 11-23-2022, 12:39 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Access vs Normal vs off road heights

Is it possible to program, with the Gap tool, where the access height is stock, standard is +25mm from stock and off road is +25mm from stock off road mode?

Last edited by MorTality; 11-23-2022 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-23-2022, 03:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by MorTality
Is it possible to program, with the Gap tool, where the access height is stock, standard is +25mm from stock and off road is +25mm from stock off road mode?
I don't have the Bluetooth versuon but know you can make different height groups and save them.

In the tool itself you can raise or lower the normal height by up to 30mm but dont know for sure if that adjustment is applied to access and offroad height as well

Old 11-23-2022, 09:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 715 Likes on 601 Posts

You can not program the heights of each, per say. You can calibrate an default road height which will cause access and off-road (and the others) to be relative to that. So if you increase hight, acmes height will go up some. It is not 1:1 though. So if you increase stock height by 1", you may find access height is only increased 3/4" (estimating).

So yeah, your best best if you want to do something one-off would be as Blackngold77 suggested, so add some profiles to the tool where you can basically do fast calibrations for the truck to certain heights.