LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 ignition on source / front cig lighter power

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 04:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 738 Likes on 620 Posts
Default LR3 ignition on source / front cig lighter power

A couple of questions I could not find answers to in a search. Any help is appreciated.

I have the LR3 wiring schematics, but I am not clear on a couple things. Probably cause these diagrams give me headaches. I am finishing up a Blue Sea auxiliary battery install. I have a cable loom of 12 wires ran into the cabin and I want to use as few of those as possible, they are intended for controlling relays with lighting and accessories. The Blue Sea relay has a remote switch which will use two of these 12 wires for the switch. A third wire from the relay is a simple ground which will stay the engine bay. A fourth wire needs to go to an ignition on source. Is there such a course available in the engine bay? Schematics keep pointing me to the engine bay. This is pretty much just a voltage sense wire, so there is no significant amp draw.

Second part. When I install my switch panel I will be without the factory cigar lighter. No prob because I will use its ground as a ground for my switches. But the positive power I would like to wire back to the aux battery for the Blue Sea switch. It has LEDs indicators and should really get power from the aux battery, not the main. From what I can tell this may not be possible because the cig goes to the JCB which is more of a brain box relay and it does not have a dedicated wire going up into the battery compartment fuse box (and thus no fuse there). In this case, I may have to bite the bullet and just use another wire for 12v+ from the aux battery (fused of course).

Old 03-30-2019, 05:12 PM
Winching
Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts

Both of the lighters are switched. The connectors have a + and a -. They are in a t type connector. The connector on the right has another single connector I think that is blue next to it that is switched with the dash illumination not the ignition.

Hope that helps

Jeff

Last edited by Rufflyer; 03-30-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

For switched 12V in the engine bay, I used an "add a circuit" fuse tap at the fuse box. Don't quote me on this, but I think it was open one for rear seat heaters or something that my truck doesn't have.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 738 Likes on 620 Posts

I figured it out. I did not read the install correctly. Actually I did not read it at all, I was reading eh wiring schematics. I don't need a accessory-on source, I just need a momentary 12v+ source that will activate the 3-5 minute disconnect. To add, this is even optional. What is does is disconnect both battery banks during starting and delays reconnecting for a short time. Its not required in a setup like this, but I am going to do it so the starting battery gets a little lead time on charging. So the source needed can actually be the the 12v+ starter engagement wire from the ignition switch. Should be a brown wire with red stripe. That will be pretty easy to locate in the engine bay and tap into that.

So that's fine.

For the aux battery 12v+ source... still not sure as I may just end up using one of the 12 wires. Everything seems to run through the JCB. I never realized how critical that box is to the operation of the vehicle. I see why a water leak onto it can really mess up an LR3.