LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lr3 led headlights / headlamps h7

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 11:07 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lr3 led headlights / headlamps h7

Has anyone done the led conversion? I know the bulb size for our trucks is the h7 and there several available on amazon.com. Any recommendations? I'm confused on which decoders is needed to make them work. Go easy guys i'm kind of new at this

Old 08-09-2017, 01:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have my HIDs as standard position as they are designed to work with the headlight lens optic and run the EarthQuake Off-Road H7 LEDs for my high beams. They are melt the windscreen to oncoming traffic's faces bright! They are just plug and play though the clip to hold them in place is difficult but doable.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:27 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by kluckerz
Has anyone done the led conversion? I know the bulb size for our trucks is the h7 and there several available on amazon.com. Any recommendations? I'm confused on which decoders is needed to make them work. Go easy guys i'm kind of new at this
Most LR3s came with xenons. Those that didn't have halogens which are (almost always) brighter than LEDs. It's cool and all, but if you look at the lumen output it isn't even in the same universe.

Many sketchy Chinese vendors just random throw out lumen numbers. I've never seen an enclosed LED bulb that came within half the brightness of a halogen. The density isn't even possible - you need an array of high-power LEDs with suitable heat dissipation.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by EstorilM
Most LR3s came with xenons. Those that didn't have halogens which are (almost always) brighter than LEDs. It's cool and all, but if you look at the lumen output it isn't even in the same universe.

Many sketchy Chinese vendors just random throw out lumen numbers. I've never seen an enclosed LED bulb that came within half the brightness of a halogen. The density isn't even possible - you need an array of high-power LEDs with suitable heat dissipation.
You are totally right. I've played with a bunch of lights and for the most part they are far inferior. I don't know that I'll pull them back out of the housing to shoot 'em but the ones I have are a multi array Cree setup with an aluminum heat sink. They are 60W of LED power per bulb that is far more efficient light than HID Xenons which are eons better than Halogen. I'll see if I can post a pic. It just kinda makes me giggle when I get the chance to flip the brights on!

Old 08-09-2017, 05:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

I just don't see LEDs ever really being better than Xenons....not so much from a total illuminance standpoint, but from a quality of light standpoint. LEDs have made huge strides in that regard, originally designed for intensity and not brightness or illuminance...but to me they still are not there. My Infiniti has LED headlights and the LR of course has Xenons...and I'd take the LR3's headlights any day.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Default LED headlight comparison

I now have 2 LR3s and wanted to show the difference. Both vehicles were side by side, engines running, low beams on.

LED vs HID high, VS 2 on lo-beam

Top view is LR3 with LED high beams in factory headlights.

Middle view is LR3 with factory HID that have Halogen high beams.

Bottom view is both LR3 on low beams.

Yeah, not really sure my neighbors appreciate my testing as much as you all might ...

Old 08-28-2017, 12:48 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by kluckerz
Might I recommend getting the RIGHT LEDs ... there is a lot of junk out there and it took a while before finding the LEDs I use.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Any warning lights after you changed out the bulbs?

Old 08-28-2017, 10:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

...am I the only one that doesn't understand the pictures? Can you please describe the settings for each row, and which LR3 is left or right?

Old 08-28-2017, 11:26 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Any warning lights after you changed out the bulbs?
Been months of testing with no warning lights.

In all 3 images there are 2 LR3s side by side in the driveway across the street from the photos, both with HID low beam drive lights on in all pics.

Top image the LED equipped high beams are on.

Middle image the Halogen high beams are on.

Bottom image, no high beams, just HID drive lights on for comparison.

The LEDs are by far brighter, night and day difference. They also flash off and on instantly supposedly without harming the bulbs. HID destroys the ballast and bulb to flicker the light (like when passing or brighting oncoming traffic)

Quick Reply: lr3 led headlights / headlamps h7