LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Lift Rod Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 02:21 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LR3 Lift Rod Questions

I was very fortunate to win a British 4x4 Outfitters $100 gift certificate from the raffle at the rally in Moab last weekend. I have a stock 2008 LR3 and really liked the LR3 and LR4s that had the rods installed on them at the rally. Id like to get a little bit larger tires than the stock ones and the rods seem to be the easiest and cheapest way to make that happen.

But before I pull the trigger on them I would like to know it they cause any additional wear to the compressor, air bags, or steering components. British 4x4 Outfitters have one set of Proud Rhino lift rods for $125 as well as Rock Armor adjustable lift rods for $75. Haha its either the rods or the Smoke Side Markers since those are the only things in the $100 range!

Special thanks to British 4x4 Outfitters for donating the Gift Certificate and to the Solihull Society for putting on the raffle!

Old 09-25-2014, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

You'll want to have it aligned afterward.

If you were spending the money out of your own pocket, I'd suggest applying it toward an IID tool or nanocom, as both of those can adjust the ride height and have LOTS of other features, over the lift rods. I'm not sure if British 4x4 sell either of those, so you may not be able to do that with their gift certificate.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Off topic but my aluminum gas tank skid on the d1 came from them great price and perfect fit, fast service will definitely use them again

Old 09-25-2014, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
Off topic but my aluminum gas tank skid on the d1 came from them great price and perfect fit, fast service will definitely use them again
My 90 came from them, the whole vehicle. And the fuel tank skid that I have yet to install. They also sponsor and come to SCARR and the Arkansas Rover Society rally. They are good guys.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:48 PM
Mudding

An alignment will definitely take place right after installation. But what Im worried about are the bags and compressor mostly. Ive also heard it may wear out control arms faster. Any thoughts from the tech guys?

Old 09-29-2014, 11:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

You won't have to worry about any of that (including the alignment) if you take the first responder's advice and use the $100 to go towards an IIDTool. That way you can roll around the street at stock height, and only go to your new modified Off-Road height on the trail, when necessary. At those speeds and few miles (most trails are < 10 miles, right?) you won't need to get a $200 alignment, nor will you add wear to your suspension components.

I've done both. I won't be going back to rods. IIDTool is awesome.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

OK what's the 11D tool?

I need to buy tires so I am debating leaving this stock with stock size tires or what?

My wife will not be offroading the vehicle and it sports factory running boards for her

thoughts?

Old 09-30-2014, 08:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

The IIDTool is an electronic plug-in device produced by GAP Diagnostics. It plugs into the OBDII port and can interface the EAS and you can adjust your suspension....along with reading/clearing faults and a myriad of other things.

Also...running boards SUCK for off-roading; take it from me.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah learned that on the d1 but this will not be going offroad

Old 10-01-2014, 12:21 AM
Three Wheeling

I'm also looking at purchasing a IID tool. I would still get an alignment if you're getting new tires. I looked into LR3 Lift Kit - Johnson Rods - Range Rover Sport Lift Kit at one point but I'm leaning towards the IID tool at this point.IIDTool for Land Rover - GAP Diagnostic
There's also a tire size chart on the johnsonrods.com website that is helpful.

Quick Reply: LR3 Lift Rod Questions