LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Lift Rod Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 09:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Why are you getting larger tires if it's not going off-road, Tom?

...and WYRover, why would you need an alignment with new tires?

Old 10-01-2014, 09:57 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Why are you getting larger tires if it's not going off-road, Tom?

...and WYRover, why would you need an alignment with new tires?
I usually have one done just to make sure it's within specs. Don't really feel like spending $$$ on tires only to have them wear out prematuraly because the alignment was off. The shop I use will check it and if it doesn't need it they will let me know and if it does they align it.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:18 PM
Camel Trophy

Oh I see. I thought you were implying that one needed to be done if a guy went to larger tires, regardless of how "fresh" the alignment is.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:43 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok I think you have me convinced to get the IID tool instead of the rods but holy crap they are expensive! Im new to this so forgive me but is there a specific IID tool I should be getting that is better for an 2008 LR3? It seems there are many different ones at many different price points. British 4x4 has two with the cheapest being $380 which for now is way out of price range.

Would lifting the LR3 with the IID tool be any less wear and tear on the bags, compressor or steering components than the rods?

Old 10-03-2014, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

the 05 had 265 65 18, did not see rubbing, bigger then the door lists and looks good but dry rotted to death from the vehicle sitting since 09

the wheels I swapped in have 255/55/19, way smaller

Old 10-06-2014, 03:09 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by K9Hexe
Would lifting the LR3 with the IID tool be any less wear and tear on the bags, compressor or steering components than the rods?

Yes, at least the way I used both, it is. With the IIDTool you can wait until you are at the trail head before you apply the lift. I think with some of the fancier rods now you can do that as well, so it could all work out even. Thing is...I don't know the price of rods these days, and with the IIDTool there is a lot of other stuff you get too in terms of capability.

Honestly if $400 for an essential piece of kit is too much, you're not going to like wheelin' in the LR3. It's awesome and very capable....but the cost of admission is higher. EVERYTHING is more expensive on a modern Rover verus, say, a RR Classic or a Jeep.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:26 PM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

The IID tool is nice but expensive. The lift kit is a much easier way to get the lift and its been proven effective. Just get an alignment and your set. No programming to worry about. Simple and highly effective.

[IMG]https://landroverforums.com/forum/Name:  JJsLR31-1.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  96.0 KB
Name:  Picture435.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  159.8 KBName:  JJsLR31-1.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  96.0 KB

Old 10-20-2014, 03:24 PM
Camel Trophy

Costs more, yes....but you get something for the extra money. IIDTool does more than just the lift.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:03 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd say you get a lot for the extra money. In my opinion, comparing rods to an IIDTool (or BlackBox Nanocom Evolution) is like comparing a box cutter to a Swiss Army knife.

I've used my IIDTool to add a new key to my LR3 ($150 if my dealer did it), I added the navigation on the move, and I added the clock on dashboard. Diagnostic features let me figure out what I need to fix or go into a shop with enough info to have an intelligent discussion.

The real reason I bought it is to deal with issues while off-road and far from assistance. As an example, if I develop a leak in an air spring (or a height sensor goes bad) the IIDTool will let me manually inflate the 3 good corners (all 4 if just a sensor) and then disable the EAS so it won't make any more automatic adjustments. With rods only you may very well be on your bump stops and unable to clear obstacles you drove over on the way in so now you can't get out.

-Rob

Old 10-22-2014, 01:25 PM
Camel Trophy

Yep! It saved me once in a similar manner as Rob has described. Lost an air spring and a sensor. Was getting cross-articulation errors with the EAS enabled. Used the IIDTool to "pump it back up" and then pulled fuses and drove home.

Quick Reply: LR3 Lift Rod Questions