LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lr3 not charging

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Well I jumped a car today and guess I killed another alt, I believe this also killed my last one

Went to look at a car to buy left rover running, a/c on and hooked to the cars dead battery, all seemed fine till we got on the hi way then boom Xmas lites, suspension drop hdc faults no transmission gears no speedo and red flashing park brake

Now we are on i95 in northern va. With a 19 day old baby in 95* weather, I am pissed, we go to an advanced cause it was close they run a check and the alt is only putting out 13.2 volts with or without load, so I got to drive 3 hours home in the slow lane with flashers on and windows down, get 5 miles from home and ding more lites then they all go out truck raises and all is normal wtf!!!!

Had 2 codes brake switch signal not matching, and no commuication with abs unit

I will be swapping the unit in morning before we return to jersey and will never jump a car from this rover again

Old 06-20-2016, 01:11 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
Well I jumped a car today and guess I killed another alt, I believe this also killed my last one

Went to look at a car to buy left rover running, a/c on and hooked to the cars dead battery, all seemed fine till we got on the hi way then boom Xmas lites, suspension drop hdc faults no transmission gears no speedo and red flashing park brake

Now we are on i95 in northern va. With a 19 day old baby in 95* weather, I am pissed, we go to an advanced cause it was close they run a check and the alt is only putting out 13.2 volts with or without load, so I got to drive 3 hours home in the slow lane with flashers on and windows down, get 5 miles from home and ding more lites then they all go out truck raises and all is normal wtf!!!!

Had 2 codes brake switch signal not matching, and no commuication with abs unit

I will be swapping the unit in morning before we return to jersey and will never jump a car from this rover again
Bummer, I'm not jumping anything from my 3.

Anybody else have this issue?

Old 06-20-2016, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Went to autozone they swapped it and I have over 14 volts again, alt lasted exactly 2months the bad one made no noise but was covered in black dust so guess substandard brushes etc

If it goes this fast again then guess I will demand a refund and buy from dealer ouch

Old 06-21-2016, 11:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

So, given the situation what is the current thinking RE Remey vs Denso?

Prices are similar for both remans over at Rocauto

2007 LAND ROVER LR3 4.4L V8 Alternator / Generator | RockAuto

Though I haven't had any errors I've noticed my running voltage isn't always over 14v anymore and have a suspicion I'm going to be doing one this summer.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Think those are OEM mfg. Problem is with the remain companies using cheap parts

Also its on bottom of engine, you wade in water it takes a bath

Old 06-22-2016, 08:22 AM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
Also its on bottom of engine, you wade in water it takes a bath

Definitely a strange place to locate the alt. considering the intended uses of the truck... did they change this on the LR4?

Old 06-22-2016, 08:28 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by EastCoast
Definitely a strange place to locate the alt. considering the intended uses of the truck... did they change this on the LR4?
I don't think so. I was with a group of LR3/4s that all killed alternators a couple months ago playing in the water/mud.

I've certainly dunked mine plenty of times, I just try not to be crazy about it. The other guys on that day got into a bit of a 'how big a splash can you make' competition. For once I didn't join in. You know, because I'm the model of restraint.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by EastCoast
This is what you get when LR adopts an engine from a Jaguar. They don't need to go the water, do they ? Lr4 has also a 5 liter v8 derived from a Jaguar so probably no change. I wonder how LR treated a new v6 supercharged on newer LR4...

Old 06-24-2016, 10:47 AM
Rock Crawling

Well, just ordered a Denso reman. Mine's still doing the job but I'm seeing under 14v so it's probably going to let me down soon. I don't know when I'll get a chance to change it since I have back to back to back trips scheduled but I'll figure that out once it's here.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

I don't know what your temperature is outside right now, but on hot days, I don't think I see 14v even with a new alternator. As the weather cools down into the lower 80s or 70s, then yes, but not if it's really toasty outside.

Quick Reply: lr3 not charging