LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 not starting after fuel injection cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR3 not starting after fuel injection cleaning

So, I decided at 69,000 miles (111,000 km), it'd be a good time to clean out my fuel injection system. I went ahead and purchased a OTC 7448 fuel injection kit due to all the good reviews on it.

Before I did anything, I disconnected Fuse F1 (fuel pump), and then I disconnected the rubber hose to the fuel rail. I turned on my air compressor to my OTC kit, and other than it spiking up to 100 psi for 5 seconds while I was adjusting the regulator, everything went fine.

I then disconnected the OTC kit, re-attached and clamped the rubber fuel hose, along with inserting back in the fuel pump fuse.

Alas, I go to turn my LR3 on and it cranks, and continues cranking, but it will not start.

I thought maybe while taking off the fuel hose, I punctured a small hole in it possibly. So, I cut off 1" of the fuel hose and reattached it. No luck.

Then I checked the fuel pump fuse to see if it was blown. Nope. It was fine and I swapped it out with another 25A fuse just to be sure. No luck.

I had absolutely no issues with the vehicle before doing the fuel injection cleaning. The LR3 started up instantly, without any hesitation and ran smooth.

I also switched out the fuel pump relay ( R8 ) with no luck either.

Any tips/insight/help would be GREATLY appreciated. My other vehicle is in my driveway, with all the wheels off as I'm redoing the brakes on it. So, I'm stuck at my house!

Old 04-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Three Wheeling

I just took out one of the spark plugs and sure enough it had gasoline on it. So, the cylinders definitely got flooded out somehow.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to dry everything out?

Old 04-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Seeing as it's been a couple hours since you posted this, you might be fine by now, and it'll start right up, but for future reference...

Start it, but with your foot all the way to the floor on the gas pedal. This is the Clear Flood procedure. Let it crank until it stops, and then wait 30 seconds or so and repeat. Do it 4-5 times, but always give it at least 30 seconds to cool the starter down. Then do the same thing, but lift your foot off the gas after about 5 seconds of cranking, if it starts to fire, feather the gas until it starts running. If not, wait a few minutes, then continue above. Once it starts, drive it kind of hard, a few WOT runs to clear all that fuel out of the exhaust.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Three Wheeling

roverguy7,

I took out the spark plugs and cleaned them off and have been letting them dry in the sun for a few hours.

Within the hour, I'll go ahead and reconnect the plugs/injectors and give it a go. I did the FI cleaning yesterday afternoon and it still wouldn't start this morning. So, I'll most likely be taking your latter advice.

I appreciate the help. Thanks.

I'll keep the thread posted on my progress.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:37 PM
Pro Wrench

Yeah, we do similar services to what you did, and if you run it all the way til it stalls, it can be a pain to get running again. But, between this, and a upper intake cleaning, the truck will drive so much better then it has for a while. Can't tell you how many customers have told me that they never ran this good, after we do a full induction/injection service.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Three Wheeling

That's what I heard and was eagerly looking forward to the results, too.

I attempted the Clear Flood Procedure, but 20 seconds into the 1st cranking, the battery got too weak from all my attempts since last evening.

So it's hooked up to my battery charger in my basement for the night.

Just to confirm, when I fire the ignition while depressing the throttle, the LR3 keeps cranking and cranking by itself continuously. You're saying each cranking cycle between starter cooling down breaks, let it keep cranking until it stops by itself? My attempt before the battery weakened too much was 20 seconds. How long will it keep cranking before it stops?

Thanks again.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:12 AM
Pro Wrench

About that long, and yes, let it go, makes no difference if you stop it early aside from it not cranking as long. It'll shut it down when it feels like it should, pretty smart truck. But if you pulled and cleaned all the plugs, you should be fine to start it.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Three Wheeling

You know, I'm beginning to think maybe the spark plugs got fouled. Sadly, I just put new ones in last week. But I did keep the old ones for emergencies like this. So, I'll go ahead and swap the new ones out with the old ones and see if that helps.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Once you get back rolling how about a follow up on the injection cleaning results? In other words, was it worth it? How much did it cost, etc.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:15 AM
Pro Wrench

Try and fire it up, after a clear flood or two before you swap the plugs... Also, it's better practice to do the induction service before you change the plugs.

Quick Reply: LR3 not starting after fuel injection cleaning