LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 purchasing, service, and reliability

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 09:55 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR3 purchasing, service, and reliability

I currently own a 2003 Land Rover Discovery, but I'm trying to convince my folks to let me purchase an LR3... But one big concern with them, is that there is not one Land Rover dealership near us and everytime we get my LR worked on, they overcharge us for simple service... My question is, is an LR3 a good buy? Is it reliable? And if I purchase one, can I get it worked on anywhere other than Land Rover dealerships that would safe me gas and money? Like Ford? Thanks.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:43 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

you can get worked for service but if you got a light on its dealer only. CEL light yes but only if they know what they are doing. They are alot more reliable then a disco 2 though. We are seeing alot over a 100 grand only very few electrical issues. Not as bad as the Disco Two, in fact one maybe two oil leaks and no coolant leaks mostly suspension bushings, and brake issues.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:11 PM
MJ2
Overlanding

I bought a 2008 LR3 used. Would not buy another. No major problems but had to replace tires $700, brakes $1000, buy floormats $200, tail light bulb $6, etc.

Seems like it's endless. And oh, I've had to buy roof cross bars that were $270 and I'm not sure if they will even fit.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoveryDave
I currently own a 2003 Land Rover Discovery, but I'm trying to convince my folks to let me purchase an LR3... But one big concern with them, is that there is not one Land Rover dealership near us and everytime we get my LR worked on, they overcharge us for simple service... My question is, is an LR3 a good buy? Is it reliable? And if I purchase one, can I get it worked on anywhere other than Land Rover dealerships that would safe me gas and money? Like Ford? Thanks.
I moved from a 2004 Discovery to the LR3 for a few reasons that were important to me, one of which was reliability. The Discovery has a couple of well known failure points- namely head gaskets and in 2003 and an increasing number of 2004 models, oil pump failure. Both will result in a big bill, possibly requiring engine replacement if the symptoms aren't recognized quickly. In both cases, the failure is likely before 100K miles. Then there's the host of other problems- failing differentials, the dreaded 3 amigos, etc etc. Mine never gave me any problems but I just didn't have the confidence in it that I do the LR3.

The LR3 seems to be regularly going 100-150K plus with comparatively few minor problems and no real major ones. The engine stems from a 1997 clean sheet Jaguar design which reflects 34 years worth of accumulated aluminum engine engineering knowledge in the auto industry over the Discovery's Buick-derived pushrod 8. Read: it's less likely to leak and head gasket failures are virtually unheard of.

As for service, I did like the fact that I could change the oil on the Discovery and not have to reset a service minder with a special tool. With the LR3, this is a dealer item which bugs me. I'll eventually invest in the proper equipment to read and set all of the Land Rover-specific codes myself, but it does require dealer involvement for routine service unless you have an indy shop with the proper equipment nearby.

On reasons to own an LR3, the refinement difference between the Discovery and LR3 is orders of magnitude. I drove the Discovery over many rocky mountain passes in the 3 years I owned it, and it gave me a sore back from the head-toss factor. Just drove Engineer Pass (a particularly rough one) in the LR3 last weekend and it felt like riding on a cloud by comparison.

Oh...and I averaged 19.3 MPG on my 700 mile trip last weekend. Best I ever saw in the Discovery was 15-16.

Dave

Last edited by geotrash; 06-01-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:26 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MJ2
I bought a 2008 LR3 used. Would not buy another. No major problems but had to replace tires $700, brakes $1000, buy floormats $200, tail light bulb $6, etc.

Seems like it's endless. And oh, I've had to buy roof cross bars that were $270 and I'm not sure if they will even fit.

Now did you buy used from another dealer or used certified from a land rover dealer. Because a land rover dealer would have to have put new tires and brakes on it before you got it along with floor mats.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:00 AM
4th Gear

Thanks for your help everybody! It sounds like whether or not I DO get an LR3, that I'll need a replacement vehicle pretty soon... Hopefully I can do some major arm-twisting, but either way I appreciate all your advice and opinions!