LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 11:50 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR3 Reliability

Please forgive me if this post is redundant, however, I am considering purchasing a 2007 LR3. I have attempted to read most every test and review that is available on the web and I have tried to find as many consumer reviews as possible. The information I have found seems to be a bit conflicting. First, most everyone agrees that the LR3 is almost perfectly designed and that it has very good on and off road attributes. That being said, the problem I see is with the consumer/owner reviews. It seems like it's close to a 50/50 split. Around half say that they love the vehicle and that it performs almost flawlessly both on and off road. The other half seem to really regret buying the vehicle and talk about countless problems that continue and never seem to get really fixed. It appears that one of the LR3's biggest strong points (Terrain Response) is actually what causes it's biggest downfall. I must admit that I am very impressed with what I have been able to find on the system but it poses a worry for me. I am also considering the Mercedes Benz GL450 which seems to be getting some really good reviews also. Of course I know that no one can or should make my decision for me, but I would really like to hear personal experiences and pros and cons. I would like to go ahead and thank anyone who responds.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:44 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: LR3 Reliability

One year and 18,600 miles on my '05 HSE and not a single problem.

Old 11-23-2006, 11:55 PM
8th Gear

i've had my 06 HSE for only 3 weeks, but no problems at all- it's a truly amazing vehicle!

Old 12-04-2006, 12:08 AM
4wd High

I notice that no one mentioned if LR3 has any electrical problems. Consumer reports in the US indicate land rover models tend to have many electrical problems such as AC/heating etc..

all terrain suspension tend to fail fast too according to previous consumer reports. Repair cost of this suspension is very expensive. One needs to have bank account of Prince Charles or sheik of Saudi family to pay for repair cost of all terrain system. fuel mileage is dismal in this SUV. The V8 engine struggles to pull the weight of engine on HWY.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:11 AM
2nd Gear

Picard.....do you own a LR3? I wouldn't bank on anything which came from CR.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:11 PM
4wd High

I don't own a LR3 because it is rated for poor reliabilty by CR. I know that you said I should trust CR. CR is independent car testing magazine that has independent testing center. It is well known for testing many vehicles in N. American market. The magazine has very good reputation. The magazine doesn't attempt to discredit land rover nor any car manufacturers. A large number of consumers rely on their report to buy the next family vehicle.

Of course there are other review sites that also test land rover, domestic and foreign car makers. All review sites just happen to agree that land rover have problems that shouldn't happen to premium SUV. for example, a Canadian review site auto123 found the range rover sport has too many rattling noise in the hatch.

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/...tid=72985&pg=3

I am only concern if I buy the LR2 that same problems plaguing other models would show up in LR2.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:42 AM
4wd Low

I own a 2005 LR3 HSE and took delivery in January 2005. Since then I've put 35,000 miles on my LR3. LOVE this car. Not to say that it didn't have it's problems which I attributed to a first year/all new model. Indeed there were quite a few "recalls" as parts were upgraded/replaced, all under warranty. Most significant of the problems were suspension faults (daily basis) and the fixes were trial and error. I did consider my options under the Lemon Law. Then, notice came of a "vehicle enhancement campaign". Basically, LR packaged all of the software fixes (and some hardware fixes) and set-up appointments for the affected vehicles. This was done in early summer '06. Not a single problem or fault since. Recently had snow/sleet/freezing rain here in Seattle. For a short time, some of the hills here were treacherous. Some of our employee's vehicles got stuck, so I used the LR3 to run them home. The LR3 breezed up the icy hills, passing several stranded vehicles. On one particularly bad and steep downhill I used the hill descent control and it walked us down uneventfuly. So, it's a great off-roader and highway driver and does it in style (still turns heads) Would I buy this vehicle again? In a heartbeat and esp. a 2007 or newer one as the problems have been addressed and some features such as satellite radio, etc. added. If you don't plan on doing any off-roading and want something for in-city the Mercedes might be a good choice. I'm sure it does fairly well off-road but for me it's too blingy and I personally don't like the exterior styling. I believe LR has turned the corner on reliability but it'll take time to really see that reflected in the surveys. btw I did purchase an extended warranty so that adds to my peace of mind. Good luck in your search!

Old 12-06-2006, 12:54 PM
4wd High

I found latest long term test of LR3 that was done my new car magazine.

http://www.caranddriver.com/longroad...r-lr3-hse.html
LR3 has electrical problems, loose door, hatches withing 40,000miles or 64,000km.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:19 PM
4wd Low

Picard,

Thanks for the Car & Driver link, seems like despite the British glitches they still really like this vehicle esp. if the editor's quotes at the end are any indication! Motor Trend also did a long-term test and noted that their LR3 was one of the most requested cars amongst their staff members in history. Are there some glitches and quality concerns with this car? Perhaps. Would I drop $50k to buy another one? Definitely.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:10 AM

I have owned an 05 LR3 HSE, and had alot of problems with it from day one.

These are the problems that I had for my 1 year of ownership. 22,000 Miles Total

1) less than 1 Mile of purchase, Still in the Dealer's parking lot that evening, Passenger Side mirror would not adjust.
2) Suspension Fault 4 times
3) Loose Rear Upper Tail Gate, fixed after 2 fixes
4) Passender Side Mirror only, fell off on it's own hanging by the heater wire.
6) Engine Stall/ Idle dances up and down often
6) Check Engine light came on often
7) Water Leaked in roof.
8) No Sound in radio.
9) Navigation System frezze
10) Sunroof replaced because of loud noise when opened or closed.
11) Side Wheel Body Molding is loose
12) Rough transmission Shift.
35+ days in the shop..

When I was at the dealer, a couple pulled in with their 05 LRE SE and told me that the DriverSide, Side Skirt fell of on the freeway. I made sure mine was tight.

I still like the LR3 and would purchase it again, and I love the 3rd row. People would fight for the third row seat in our long trip. I loved the space.
I ended up buying a Range Rover Sport HSE instead.

I didn't have too much problems with the Sport lke the LR3 but it was just to much problems for me. (30+ days in the shop)

1) Suspension Fault twice
2) Air Mass Sensor (3-4 times)
3) Loud engine Noise
4) Rough Transmission Shift
5) Check Engine Light came on often
6) replaced air compressor a few times
7) Low Coolant, even thou it was full
8) Engine Low performance (3-4 imes)

Otherwise, this was a great car. A real head turner.

If you decide to purchase a Land Rover, you may want to purchase an Lo-Jack and Extended Warranty only, and not the GAP Insurance, Interior/Exterior Protection, Rim/Tire Protection. Also expect a long wait time in the dealership when the car is in for repair(s) and also to schedule a repair.
Expect to drive many rental cars and even though it's was a free loaner vehicle, if you do decide to purchase insurance from the Car Rental it can get really expensive.
Avg: $150.00 Total for Insurance per repair visit.

This is from my experience with my 2 Land Rovers only and not for the 2007 models, and I do talk to people out there that doesn't have this much problems as I did with the LR3 and RRS. And yes I would still purchase these cars but the WIFE won't let me.

Take Care......

Quick Reply: LR3 Reliability