LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 01:11 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LR3 Reliability

I hear ya. As I mentioned above I nearly pulled the plug on mine, too. Here's my list:

1. Hundreds of suspension faults.
2. 2 replacement air suspension compressors (related to above)
3. Fuel tank replaced (recall).
4. Passenger side speaker rattle (speaker and panel replaced).
5. Replaced NAV screen (random dimming).
6. Check Engine lights.
7. Low coolant faults (replaced sensor/unit).

The most annoying problem, and the one that wasn't readily fixed, were the suspension faults. You're driving down the road and "BONG" "Suspension Fault". Over and over. I was at wit's end and was prepared to bail but the enhancement software fix did the job and in the 5-6 months since I haven't had a single fault/problem. I'm glad that I waited and probably would think twice about being an early adopter again (maybe wait 'til the 2nd vehicle year). Sorry about your experience. What did you end up buying?

Old 12-14-2006, 08:52 PM

Sorry to hear what you've been through. I really know how you feel like. I've gotten to know the Tech and service advisors better than I know my own friends.

Even with the problems on the LR3 and Range Rover Sport, these are one of the best SUV that I've owned and driven. It's like for example, your wife is beating you up and you still want to be with her.

I was planning on buying another Range Rover Sport here in Cerritos, Ca because they just opened a new Land Rover dealer in Cerritos next to the GMC/Hummer Dealer. But my wife is on my back about getting another Range Rover Sport.

So far there is no other vehicle out there that interest me like the Land Rovers did so I'll probablly just head to Toyota and check out the small FJ Cruiser so that I can pay it in full and use it as a backup until my wife lets me buy another RRS. But she'll let me buy anything else. Maybe I'll also look at the Mercedes GL-450 and the Porsche SUV.

Do you still have your Land Rover or was it a lemon? How long has it been in the shop?

Old 12-15-2006, 03:22 PM
4wd Low

Ended up keeping it. About 2 days before I contacted an attorney I heard about the recall to install new software and replace a suspension part. That was 5 months ago. Since then, it's driven like a brand new LR3 w/o a single problem. Hmm, if I weren't permitted to drive a Rover? That would suck, BUT maybe she'll let you get the all-new 2008 BMW X5 (I believe they're out now or will be in a few mos.). That MIGHT be a worthy RRS replacement. Good luck!

Old 12-15-2006, 03:37 PM

it's almost like losing a girlfriend.

I have a 02 BMW 325I with 30k mile on it which have been running great. I have alot of window problems with that car and we don't even drive it that much.

I'll go and check out the 08 BMW X5.

Thank You.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:18 PM
4wd High

ORIGINAL: roverdawg

I hear ya. As I mentioned above I nearly pulled the plug on mine, too. Here's my list:

1. Hundreds of suspension faults.
2. 2 replacement air suspension compressors (related to above)
3. Fuel tank replaced (recall).
4. Passenger side speaker rattle (speaker and panel replaced).
5. Replaced NAV screen (random dimming).
6. Check Engine lights.
7. Low coolant faults (replaced sensor/unit).

The most annoying problem, and the one that wasn't readily fixed, were the suspension faults. You're driving down the road and "BONG" "Suspension Fault". Over and over. I was at wit's end and was prepared to bail but the enhancement software fix did the job and in the 5-6 months since I haven't had a single fault/problem. I'm glad that I waited and probably would think twice about being an early adopter again (maybe wait 'til the 2nd vehicle year). Sorry about your experience. What did you end up buying?
Is the suspension fault related to all terrain system that raise the car? Were these problems covered by warranty? when did these problems occured from the date of purchase?

Old 12-20-2006, 03:19 PM
4wd Low

Picard,

Yes, the suspension is one portion of the Terrain Response i.e. the LR3 also auto-adjusts the throttle settings, hill descent settings, prompts you for the correct hi-lo setting, etc, etc. Mine was a 2005 and the problems first started showing up in spring/summer 2005 and finally stopped about 6 months ago when LR announced the Vehicle Enhancement Recall which incorporated Technical Service Bulletins B034 & B036. Since then it's been like driving a brand new LR3! Very satisfied, now. I'm nearing the 2 year mark and have put nearly 35,000 miles on it. All work performed was under warranty so I haven't had to pay anything, just the inconveniece of being without it as they sorted things out. Maintenance is also included for the first few years in North America (I forget the exact parameters). For peace of mind I elected to purchase a transferableextended warranty so I'm not too worried. Hoping to buy a 2009 LR3 (in 2008).

Old 12-22-2006, 08:18 AM
2nd Gear

Hi

I am from the UK and have a LR3, TDV6 Auto.

Great vehicle but not without its problems:

Steering mis-aligned(a full 1/4 turn out)when delivered - took 3 attampts to fix
External trim on the outside face of the A pillar became detached on the motorway. The holes in the metal bodywork underneath had been drilled in the wrong place at the factory and they had 'bodged' the trim on over. Had to go to the body shop for 3 days. When I got it back the wing mirror had been replaced on the OTHER side of the vehicle with the wrong mirror! - took 3 attempts to get that replaced with the correct one! More a dealer issue than a reliability issue.

The main problem is:

When 'picking up' the throttle at low speed - such as when you get back on the gas after making a turn, the drive is taken up with a very noticeable shunt in the gearbox / drive train.

Has anyone else experienced this?

The dealer said oh it needs a new gearbox - but they had to get a LR enginner to inspect it first, astonishingly he said its normal! So if he says no then that leaves me with nowhere to go - great!

Up till that point even with the odd problem and poor dealer service I would have ordered another LR - but not now. I mean both I and the dealers top technician agree there is a problem with the gearbox - but LR say not! The dealer said take it up with customer services - but I shouldn't have to chase around trying to get something done. I told the dealer I will drive the vehicle for the remainder of the lease with the fault (I hope the gearbox falls out) hand it back to them as I am entitled then wave bye-bye to LR, great customer service don't you think!

Pity cos like I said the vehicle otherwise is brilliant.

Cheers, Harry

Old 12-22-2006, 02:18 PM
4wd Low

harry888,

Welcome! I, too, had the acceleration "hesitation" or thud, though it happens rarely now. Not sure if it went away on account of a software update or because I learned the nuances of the pedal and have the timing down right (I tend to drive away fast from a stop). Definitely ask thedealer to reset your software and drive her hard. The transmission is supposedly adaptive and will pick up on your habits. Also, I tend to leave the transmission in Sport mode which seems to help. Search the threads here and on some of the other Discovery 3 forums. The problem that you describe is a well-known one and there are all sorts of suggestions/theories. Good luck!

Old 12-22-2006, 03:18 PM
2nd Gear

roverdawg, thanks for replying.

To be clear the shunt never happens from standstill - only when moving at low speed such as in slow moving traffic.

I've had a software update - no change. It makes no difference how gently (or hard)I press the accelerator - even just tickling it you get the shunt as the drive is picked up. Its the same in sport mode!

Good to know (sort of) that its a 'well known' problem.

Thank-you, Harry

Old 12-22-2006, 03:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

We've had our 05 HSE since Feb 05 and it's got 33,000 miles and it's only had a problem with the air compressor for the suspension,but they took care of that and said none of the newer ones have that problem.

All systems launch!

Quick Reply: LR3 Reliability