LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 05:11 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2005 LR3 which I bought new. Reliability has been absolutely horrendous with this vehicle. Right after I bought it, it was in the shop for a full month while they tried to figure out what was wrong with the navigation system. There are too many items to list that have gone with this vehicle. Just today the rear tailight (above the rear window) came off for the third time. Who was the idiot who thought it would be a good idea to just glue this on rather than attach it with screws ? (Maybe they don't drive at 70 mph US highway speeds in the U.K. or India ? This time it happened in town doing about 25 mph.) The first two times I was under warranty, so it cost me the time and hassle. We'll see if they try to charge me for fixing this defective design on 'fall off 3'.
On a 'positive note' - - I haven't yet been stranded by the LR3. Then again it only has 62k miles. Another positive note has been the dealer and their service dept - they have been outstanding. Then again, they have to given this vehicles reliability record.
As you can tell, I'm ticked off at having to call them again and take the time and hassle of going in to get this fixed. Thankfully, I now carry a roll of duct tape always for just such occasions.Only a month ago I had to bring it in to fix a number of things including the cruise control which doesnt work. It had been the third time for the cruise and the mechanic told me it was due to some thing rubbing against the housing. He did a temporary fix that cost me a couple hundred dollars, but said it would run another $ 500 to really fix it. I have never had a problem with a cruise control on any vehicle I've owned, undoubtedly another design flaw, that they will charge the customer to 'fix'. - - - When my LR3 is operating correctly its a terrific vehicle, but I can't rely on it. when I was in Montana in August and the check engine light lit up outside of Yellowstone Natl Park hundreds of miles from the nearest dealer, I was 'concerned' to say the least. - - Given my view that inflation will start to kick in and the cost of imported parts will only get more expensive - - - I'm going to get rid of it this coming spring. I'll be looking for a reliable rig with much fewer gadgets to fail. - - - -

Last edited by Tigerjaw; 10-24-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:49 PM
8th Gear
Default Re:Oil Change

Originally Posted by MJ2
I have an '08 LR3- just purchased- can only a LR dealer change the oil or do you guys take the to just an everyday Quick lube type place?
Anyone can change the oil, but you may have to provide filter. I change my own and get filter from AB. Its only a hassle b/c you have to drop a plate to access bottom of engine.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:21 PM
4th Gear
Default LR3 Reliability

The LR3 is a wonderful car for driving off road or on.....the two days a year that it works correctly. I have a 2005 with over 190 000 km. The reliability is so bad that I constantly worry if I am going to get home when I leave for work. Yesterday, I didn't make it without a tow truck. The "wonderful" electric system decided completely jam the parking brake into the brake rotor. I hadn't even applied the parking brake as I was parked on a flat area!! The system just applied it for me and wouldn't release. Now back to the shop for at least a week and it looks like another $3500 into the toilet. Let's not forgot the warning light of the week game, the tire wear issues, loose trim pieces, tailgate that stops functioning at random preventing you from getting into the cargo area, terrain response control/hill descent control that are intermittently operable at best, door and hood sensors that think the door is open when it isn't which means you can't properly look the doors with the electronic look, seized sunroof, not sure if I am forgetting anything. The only thing that hasn't needed extensive work is the core powertrain (engine and transmission) which is I guess saying something after 190 000km. I think the main issue is that the electrical system is way too complicated and failure prone but you can't have a care this complex without an computer to control things, catch 22. Add the generally terrible state of service techs in the dealers here in Southern Ontario and there is a perfect storm for a lot of customer dissatisfaction.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Overlanding
Default Some issues, new to land Rovers, advice please? (:

Hi guys! My LR3 is an 05 with the 4.4 V8 engine and I have a few issues I'd love you're advice and words on.
Since I bought it in early 2010 it's been great for the most part, but just recently the engine has started to sound very rough and sometimes it struggles to start(maybe the cold weather!) The steering feels a little loose to me too but I'm not sure how it's so posed to feel on a Land Rover.

for the past month or so I've had just about every yellow warning light you can think of come and go as it wants. Just recently PARK BREAK in red stays solid, the yellow PARK BREAK light randomly flashes when it wants to as well. Just today I had a TRANSMISSION FAULT STOP VEHICLE SAFELY light come on, the suspension was stuck at "lowered" and would not go back up, all my terrain response settings would not work (said not available) and it sounded quite rough. I managed to drive it home fine and get it in the laneway where I turned the car off and waited a bit, then turned it back on. When I did this the lights were still there, I turned it off again and waited a few hours. I tried turning it on again and everything but the park break light went away, suspension lifted as normal and now I have a "transmission fault: traction reduced" light this time. My terrain response still is not working however. I have seen ENGINE SYSTEM FAULT before too, but it usually goes away and comes when it wants to as well.

Considering the randomness of all this to me it seems like software issue, what do you think?
This is my first Land Rover, and first British car too. I'm not under factory warranty, but I do have a "Lubrico" warranty(which I paid 3k for... ouch with 500 deductible) Will Land Rover do a free assessment or anything like that? I can't afford at this time to do any expensive repairs if they are not covered under my warranty program.

*any* advice would be appreciated!!

EDIT: forgot to mention, my tires have been quite low and my inflation system has never told me a thing. The things got 173,xxx miles on it.

Last edited by bmartindale; 04-11-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:53 PM
6th Gear

Well, it looks like the first year 2005 LR3 has had all sorts of problems. Vehicle reliability reports reflect this, but it looks like LR made improvements with later models. Saying "You shoulda checked Consumer Reports and other sources before buying a used 2005" doesnt help now. I now have about 82,000 mi on my '05 LR3. - It hasn't given me any major additional problems since I posted in Oct 2009, 20k miles later. The cruise control sometimes doesn't work - - and sometimes it does. That can be a problem with the swarms of radar gun carrying traffic ticket writers that seem to have the task of balancing state and local public budgets nowadays. That broken cruise control is about 50% responsible for a speeding ticket I got. The LR3 is quiet and its easy to be going faster than you realize. I'll just have to do like they did in the ole' days - - and glance down at the speedometer more. - - I half want to get rid of this vehicle, and half don't want to. I have a good dealer with an excellent service department. The problem is, there are no other good dealers within more than a thousand miles from me. If something major happens, it will mean a very long tow to the shop. As I mentioned, I went on a trip to Yellowstone when the 'Check Engine Light' went on and I was several states away from any dealers at all. That ain't good. I don't like the fact that I'm burning premium gas and fuel prices are going up. Any little thing with this vehicle cost an arm and a leg, and given where the dollar is heading - thats likely to be even more so in the future. But I like the fact that this vehicle is completely paid for. I absolutely love it when its running right, and it still has never stranded me anywhere because of major mechanical problems. Its an absolute dream off-road. I enjoy doing a lot of activities outdoors and appreciate that off-road capability and all the room inside for carrying gear. I knew what I might be getting into when I bought the vehicle new in 2005. New models often have problems, and sophisticated electronic/mechanical systems can cause problems. But at that time, no other vehicle came close to the LR3 capabilities and I rolled the dice. There are plenty of folks who keep their old used Land Rovers that dont have all the electronics. I can see keeping one of those for a very long time, but I'm thinking that I better get rid of this vehicle before something major and very expensive breaks down - - a thousand miles away from the shop. I like it so much when it is running well - - that I keep putting that off. - - -

P.S. - - - am I reading that right, that you have 173,000 miles on your vehicle ? Whoa !

Last edited by Tigerjaw; 04-11-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:56 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Tigerjaw
P.S. - - - am I reading that right, that you have 173,000 miles on your vehicle ? Whoa !
LOL Yes!! I do alot of road trips with the family on weekends and anytime I have work off and the weather's decent! Plus a 3 hour daily commute for work!
Thats my issue too, I want to get rid of it before any major issue but I love it so much! Theres nothing else thats so roomy, comfortable, capable off road and still has more flash and awe than a nice Mercedes! I know I'll have to get rid of her eventually, but I'll always miss that awe-look when pulling up at a red light or pulling out of the work parking lot, and the sound of people's "wow!! Is that a Land Rover!?!?!" I was hoping to get another Land Rover, but nothing else suits my needs! The Range Rover isn't big enough(my kids are both adult-sized!) The LR2/freelanders are good on gas compared to others, but don't seem as capable off road and definitely not roomy enough!

God I should never have boughten this thing! I'll never buy from another brand again lol! I'm stuck now haha

I am just praying this is a software issue, going to take it to a dealer when I have the time to go down to the dealer! I'm also quite some distance away from a dealer, closest one is a 3 1/2 hour drive!

Old 04-12-2011, 03:21 PM
6th Gear

Of course, its easy to recommend something for the other guy to do. I know I should dump my LR3 before gas prices or some major mechanical problem comes up that would drop its value or make it harder to sell. (My trade-in vehicle had some issues, so that was a major motivator for me to buy the LR3 at the time. I would have probably kept my old vehicle another year if I was more certain that it would have lasted.) - - I also imagine that once there's over 100,000 miles on it, psychologically my vehicle will have less appeal to buyers.
The market for used LR3s isn't necessarily the same as that for the new model or for new Range Rovers. Maintenance & fuel prices, I would think, should impact those who would buy a used LR3. If not, you need a strictly emotional buyer.
Now here's my take - - as an objective outsider - - I would get rid of your LR3. It has alot of miles and if you can't afford to put major money in it youve got a money pit on wheels; its just a matter of time till it smacks you. Wouldnt it be terrible if something major broke down and you had to put hundreds or even thousands of dollars in your vehicle, just to get it to the point where you could dump it ? Tough to sell a vehicle that won't run. If you like Land Rover, why not look around for one of the older models with less complicated/expensive gadgetry to go wrong ?

Old 04-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would say that if someone were to research Land Rover vehicles in concern of reliability, drivability, repairability and all the other abilities. That person should look back to the past and see the CAOS. I will say this; If you choose to purchase a Land Rover product I hope you are a mechanically inclined person. Or you are willing to dump alot of money in a mechanics pocket. If the mechanic is your choice; please call me.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Overlanding

MAYOR Faults-LR3 2006 Model at 72K miles
Family car, no Off Roading.

1- Rear differential Replaced - Warranty
2- Compressor suspenssion Faul - No Warranty
3- Front differential broken - No Warranty

I have an Isuzu Trooper 225K 1994
1- Trans repair - $1,000
That's it!