LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Roof Rack Options???

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR3 Roof Rack Options???

So I have the LR3 want to load it up and go camping, etc. with the family, I also haul a lot of gear for work and sometimes need more cargo space so it has to go up top...

Questions:

Factory Racks... 2 crossbars... are these stationary or can they move forward and backwards on the rail depending where you want to lock them? My friend has a RR and says they do not move? These seem relatively useless without a basket or some other way to take a load... no??? Is there a way to attach a basket direct to the roof rails without the factory bars?

Second, if I get these and I need a roof basket, it seems like you are putting the load high for no real reason on top of the factory bars? Is there something that will fit between the bars, if they are indeed adjustable to keep the load lowert, without putting stress on the rooftop/glass?

Good thing about a basket is I can take it off for daily driving, so this seems like a good option to save gas when not in use. And factory bars would stay in place for home depot runs, etc.

Also I have seen some full aftermarket racks from Urban Offroad that look nice, I am not opposed to this. I prefer the metal style that matches the rear ladder over the factory Expedition rack... are there other options? Also, seems like the area over the sunroof is wasted space for a full rack (Urban Offroad version) as there is no support over it?

I am looking for suggestions/ideas... I am not opposed to leaving the rack on all the time, but just curious what other users do?

Thanks for any info!

Old 01-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Overlanding
Default RE: LR3 Roof Rack Options???

I was in the same quandry as you. I finally got the factory rack that is part number Part #CAN500040 . It is a rack for the Range Rover sport, but fits the roof rails for the LR3. It is easy to pop on and off once we get it installed the first time. I have no issues going in the Garage with it on either (normal Height Position). I hope this helps.

http://www.landroverusa.com/us/en/Ve...nfoBlockLink_5

Old 02-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So do you not like the LR expedition rack? That seems to be the best option for what you are wanting to use it for. The load bars only support 158lbs..although I believe the expedition rack is only rated to carry 118 lbs.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Mudding

The Factory Crossbars do move forward and backward. I keep mine pretty far apart, as I usually use them for my surfboard. However, over the summer, I used a roof bag on the Great Divide Challenge, and it worked pretty well. I had the bag on top of the glass which is not really good, however it did just fine as long as the bag was strapped down well so that it doesn't slide back and forth sideways.

Have to be careful if you go up on the roof, as you can crack the glass if you put too much pressure in one place, such as a knee cap or something.....

If you plan on putting heavy gear up there, get something better. NWOODS has some good thought in that regard. Check on his website www.nextstepdesigns.com for some photos, etc., or to contact him....

Old 02-07-2008, 06:08 AM
Overlanding

The roof rack I was talking about attaches to the cross bars and is more of a basket that is a LR accessory. Rever to the part number and look it up to see a picture. The Expedition rack is around 1000 dollars and blocks some of the Sun roof. The one I am talking about was about 250 and covers only a small part.