LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:37 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Premium Gas?

When I got my 2006 Land Rover LR3 V8 SE I was told to only use Premium gas... Why is that? Will it have any short/long term affects on the car?

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Premium Gas?

that is a good ? i have been running mid grade and then i throw prem in every 3 fillups or so just to be safe. A guy would think you should be able to run mid or even regular in it considering the crappy gas they run in them in like africa and other parts of the world.I have always run prem in my vehhicles equiped with superchargers and turbochargers, if you don't the cat tends to clog up; but im not a mechanic and have not seen a straight answer on this.I don't think the compression is high enuf or the engine is built up enuf to warrant it; but for some reason they say you need to. So for now I'm mixing it up and havent had any lifter noise or hessitation over this winter.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, the computer can sense the timing changes needed as a result of the fuel mixture. There is a loss of power, although minimal. You will not notice the difference unless you using the vehicle unders stress or need the extra power. But there is a difference, and there is a loss of mileage as well. I have tried both methods as well, and have decided to go back to premium, although it hurts a little more each time I fill it up....

Old 02-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditto. It can run with less octane fuel but it will provide lower gas mileage so at the end it basically evens out money wise. However you still have the lower performance and the "arguably" long term negative effects to take into consideration. My vote, use premium.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. I put mid-grade in a few times awhile back and noticed a decrease in power, plus the engine might start to make some noise. I was under the assumption since I live in a higher altitude I could get away with Mid-grade like in the past, but Premium is the way to go. I mean, in the end you are spending maybe $2-3 more on a tank for premium?? It's not worth damaging the engine to save a couple of double cheeseburgers

Old 02-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You have to run it or as the old saying goes, "Pay Me Now or Pay Me Later", and boy will you pay when you need to deal with carbon and other issues in that engine.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:21 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what about putting race fuel like 110 octane in. will it mess anything up sice their is lead in it
obveously you wouldnt run it all the time but lets say you are going wheeling. i have noticed a huge difference when i put it in my harley but it is not fuel injected. althought it would be expensive.