LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 search

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 09:59 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR3 search

I'm on a hunt for an LR3 with HD package. Is it really worth the searching? If I find a vehicle that checks all the other boxes (including price and miles) am I wrong to feel hesitant if it doesn't have the HD package?

My perfect truck would be:
No nav
Upgraded stereo option
HD package
Black
Black interior

A lot of searching so far and have yet to find a single one with the HD package

Old 09-07-2015, 10:15 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why no nav? The Nav screen has a cool 4x4/Suspension status display.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 459 Likes on 410 Posts

I guess it depends on how much off-roading you'll do and what variety. Also the HD Package is something you'll get your money back from anyway, so it's just a patience thing.

The non-HD versions do just fine off-road, btw....the locker may make things easier, but that's the only difference. More locker, less T/C is how that goes.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 987c Rover
I'm on a hunt for an LR3 with HD package. Is it really worth the searching? If I find a vehicle that checks all the other boxes (including price and miles) am I wrong to feel hesitant if it doesn't have the HD package?

My perfect truck would be:
No nav
Upgraded stereo option
HD package
Black
Black interior

A lot of searching so far and have yet to find a single one with the HD package
I don't think you'll be able to find one with an HD and no NAV. HD package only came on HSE trim trucks, and they all have navs. AFAIK, the only ones that do not have NAV's were early SE models, think 05-06.

You can hunt around if you want but you will be looking for a while.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Camel Trophy

I believe you could get an HD package on an SE truck...but agree that a really high percentage of HD version LR3s are HSE (99%'ish). It's not impossible though....since the HD Package was a stand-alone package and someone could've ordered an SE and opted for the HD Package.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2005 SE7 with HD Package and no NAV. Couldn't be happier, as I plan to install a CarPlay HU in the NAV cubby area.

Last edited by DustyLBottoms; 09-14-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I was looking for one with a rear locker as well. After looking at 20 different trucks, calling the local dealership to have them lookup the vin to tell me, I gave up. I instead just looked for one in the best possible condition.

It's really only about $2k to add a rear locker anyway, and in hindsight I think it's the proper approach as I will have full control over it locking or not.

I don't regret my choice.

Dave

Old 09-14-2015, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

My 05 se5 has nav no locker
My 06 hse 7 nav nonlocker but does have the buss connector capped off on frame

At this point I would prefer the cubby over the nav cause what goods a nav u can't update past 2012? And the other things it does are neat at best

Old 09-14-2015, 12:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
I believe you could get an HD package on an SE truck...but agree that a really high percentage of HD version LR3s are HSE (99%'ish). It's not impossible though....since the HD Package was a stand-alone package and someone could've ordered an SE and opted for the HD Package.
I stand corrected, good point. I guess the logic in the past has been the super wealthy just maxing out the available trim packages while guys who bought the trimmed down models with the HD package remain the minority.

Still jealously eyeing the zambian available disco 4's with coils, cloth seats, and HD...

Old 09-14-2015, 11:20 PM
Camel Trophy

...not sure why you'd want to have control of the locking of the rear diff. I mean I guess I used to think the same way, until I drove behind an FJ on the trail and watched him have to take 2nd and 3rd attempts at obstacles after having locked his rear, while I just walked over them the first time. Ego put away, the LR3 is better at making those decisions than I would be. I can just set the vehicle up (using TR and DSC and other choices) and then focus on the line and the throttle.

Last edited by houm_wa; 09-15-2015 at 12:18 PM. Reason: typos

Quick Reply: LR3 search