LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 search

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 06:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

It is my understanding that there's no Terrain Response setting that guarantees that the rear is locked instantly. Since my truck does NOT have one, I am only going by what others have told me, or that I have read.

With that said, I'm aware my needs and use case often are far more excessive than what others consider "offroad" driving. Every situation or obstacle is different. There are times you want to be locked and sometimes not. If you're in an off camber situation, you may not want to be locked so that the truck does not slide to one side, and you would rather let one wheel spin a bit so that it does not.

I'm sorry you had to watch an FJC driver learn to wheel.

As for the truck knowing better -- if it DOES lock and unlock at it's own will, anything like the Terrain Response does the braking of the spinning wheel, I would like it to be a bit more... quick responding. For example:

With that said, put me in deep snow? I'd rather no lockers more often than not -- spinning both wheels on an... ahem... axle lets you drift to the side easier. This is one point where the LR systems really are amazing to watch, especially when you're surrounded by trees!

Sorry, I know I'm quite a bit off topic at this point, but let me summarize:

Instead of me buying a white truck with a tan interior and the HD package with 100k+/- miles, I ended up getting a Green one with tan interior... and 41k miles. ARB lockers for front and rear are currently sitting in a nice pile, waiting for me to get off my @ss and do some work.

Dave

Old 09-15-2015, 12:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 459 Likes on 410 Posts

I think you made the right decision, Dave, given your choices. Let me make that much clear.

The LR3 is pretty smart about locking/un-locking, that was my only real point. True that there is no 100% sure lock, but honestly in Rock Crawl it's pretty much gonna be locked unless you are in Rock Crawl unnecessarily. In Mud/Ruts, it has some algorithm that it uses to determine when to lock/unlock and I don't know what that is but it sure seems to be smart; I hardly ever spin a tire.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 459 Likes on 410 Posts

BTW...cool video, Dave. Those tires look SWEET...but man they are huge. Any issues with the fitment so far?

Old 09-16-2015, 05:51 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by houm_wa
BTW...cool video, Dave. Those tires look SWEET...but man they are huge. Any issues with the fitment so far?
Oh yes, lots of fitment issues. You can notice in the video on the rear plastics that go over the front of the rear wheel and onto the back passenger door it's slightly popped off. Every trail I take it on, they pop off, as the lugs on the tire when shoved up and in drag on it and pop it off. I just yank'em off and throw'em in the back every time. I have stock in the company that sells the little tabs.

Each time, I trim a little more off, as well as the rear of the front fenderwells. I would love to have these in a 32x10.5 but 33x12.5 is as small as they make. Traction wise, they are AMAZING for New England's woods, and they REALLY do make the truck look wild.

Dave

Sorry again for the offtopics.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:10 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think I'm going the LR4 route now. Found a lot of nice examples with the HD package. I prefer the look and interior/utilitarian-ness of the LR3, but like the engine and some of the improvements of the LR4.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:47 AM
Rock Crawling

Looks like those sit around $30k -- at that kind of money, have you considered going Defender? Maybe even a gray market import?

Dave

Old 09-19-2015, 02:09 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghaniba
Looks like those sit around $30k -- at that kind of money, have you considered going Defender? Maybe even a gray market import?

Dave
I've looked at NAS in the past and to me it's always seemed like silly money. I've even put a lot of effort into looking at going the grey market option but it's pretty complicated with tracking down and making sure you're getting a good truck and all that comes with importation.

Also going to be spending more time on road than off it so a Defender doesn't really seem like the best fit for being a DD.

I've even looked at old G wagens (300 gd) but those too may be a little too rough and again it's difficult finding a vehicle that ticks all the boxes for oneself.