LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Ticking after warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 10:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default my noise is a bit more uniform

My ticking noise seems more even or uniform whereas the noise on the videos seems a bit irregular or choppy, if I heard correctly.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Mine's choppy...

Old 09-14-2015, 11:02 PM
Camel Trophy

One belt is new. I'll have the other one checked.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:54 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The worn out timing chain guide is what I think it sounds like also. A little annoyed it's such a task to get fixed and everyone says these don't usually need that kind of work. Anyone know how much this job usually costs?

I've also read up on the power steering pumps making ticking noises. But this is definitely loudest on that front engine cover so I couldn't image it being from something far from that.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:35 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Obviously hard to tell from the video but to me it sounded "sharp" (not muffled) and therefore external to the engine. I'd eliminate anything and everything accessory drive related first.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Isn't there are TSB about the VVT solenoid making noise?

Old 09-16-2015, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts
Old 12-19-2015, 12:44 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A quick update: For starters I have not solved the noise. I took it to a number of mechanics, 2 of which thought it could be a timing chain tensioner. I took off the valve covers and the RH secondary timing chain was pretty loose on some rotations so I did go in and change that out, while I was in there I did the spark plugs too because it's right at 103k mi. However the noise is still there. It did take a while for it to reappear, meaning usually it would show up after running for just a second but this time it took 15minutes for it to appear, this could be because I primed the engine oil pressure by running it without the fuel pump relay or it could be just because it was sitting for a good few days.

Other things I have done, I changed both belts. While changing them I ran it without each belt, but the noise is there without any belts on as well. It definitely requires load to really be apparent which is why when I initially took off the fan belt and ran it it was silent but then reappeared after it warmed up even just a minute or so.

I have also done many oil flushes using BG MOA, Motor Medic, and tried adding MMO, Seafoam, Lucas, and Reslone. None of which helped. However they did make for a super clean engine when I removed the valve covers.

Anyone have any additional thoughts on how to get rid of this noise?

Old 12-23-2015, 07:59 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

So, this might sound stupid - and I'm sure you've thought of this / mentioned it, but have you checked your exhaust manifold bolts?

I haven't done mine yet, but I'm 110% sure I have an exhaust leak/tick (passenger side I believe) far more obvious under load. Depending on the differential heating of metals it's possible yours tends to happen when it's warm.

Over the years I've read many threads on US and UK forums, and many have reported getting 1/4 to 1/2+ turns out of the bolts and sealing up the exhaust leak without having to R&R the manifold/replace the gasket.

I feel super lazy for not having done it myself yet, but I had the same tick on my 4.4 06 RRS, and it's definitely an issue these motors are prone to. Even if it's not your specific problem, it might be worth checking out - it is kinda annoying / distracting. Would help for diagnostic purposes and to rule stuff out since you obviously seem mechanically inclined (this is certainly easier than pulling valve covers on these suckers!)

Old 12-24-2015, 01:31 AM
Camel Trophy

110%? Really?

As informative as your post is and as solid as all your advice has been so far, I just couldn't let it go....

You only have 100% certainty/effort/etc. This is my #1 sports cliche that drives me nuts. You can't give more than 100% of what you have. My #2 sports cliche I hate is "they control their own destiny." Sorry...no one controls destiny. That's the nature of it.

Now...back to your regularly scheduled Rover-banter.

Quick Reply: LR3 Ticking after warmed up