LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Ticking after warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 01:59 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the exact same sound...I only heard it once, it hasn't come back in a couple weeks

Old 12-24-2015, 10:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
110%? Really?

As informative as your post is and as solid as all your advice has been so far, I just couldn't let it go....

You only have 100% certainty/effort/etc. This is my #1 sports cliche that drives me nuts. You can't give more than 100% of what you have. My #2 sports cliche I hate is "they control their own destiny." Sorry...no one controls destiny. That's the nature of it.

Now...back to your regularly scheduled Rover-banter.

I feel your pain. While that particular expression doesn't bother me so much there are others that I just can't seem to let go even though I know better.

The use of 'anyways' is #1. I cringe every time I hear/read that one.

On a semi-related note, I've got a minor exhaust tick on the driver's side and haven't even tried to do anything about it because a casual glance makes me think I'd need a trained double-jointed contortionist miniature monkey to reach the bolts. Perhaps I should look into that more carefully.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:10 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyways...

Old 12-25-2015, 09:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

You're a cruel man.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:12 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Mmkay you all get the idea :P

Old 01-06-2016, 05:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EstorilM
So, this might sound stupid - and I'm sure you've thought of this / mentioned it, but have you checked your exhaust manifold bolts?
I have intermittent ticking as well. Mechanic heard it, but wasn't sure about cause. He doesn't think it's mechanical. I can typically only hear it when I stop at a light and the sound is reflecting off a parked car or a building. So I suspect it's coming out of the wheel well and echoing back at me. Don't think that helps with diagnosis.

For no particular reason I suspect exhaust manifold as well. Maybe I'll try to tighten mine up and see if it helps.

Last edited by RipD; 02-01-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by bbyer
I have noted a very quiet ticking sound that one can only hear at idle and when standing outside near the bonnet.

I found that with a fresh oil change, the sound would go away and then perhaps three or four thousand miles later I would hear the ticking again.

A fresh oil change and the noise disappears again. I regard it as my needs an oil change notice. Oil level on the dipstick remains as it should, just the noise reappears.

Oil is Castrol 5W-30 Syntec meeting ILSAC GF-4.

Rightly or wrongly, I have presumed the noise emanates from a lifter.
Bruce,

I heard something the other day that reminded me of this post. A friend of mine's father collects cars and has his son drive them to avoid them sitting. Picture this amazingly talented scientist/old chinese guy. He had a newer Saab that ticked, definitely was a lifter. One thing he did (I don't know how he decided this) was to add oil treatment that presumably thinned some oil in certain areas of the engine, which cleared a blockage to the lifters and allowed them to be lubricated. Said for me to hit my truck with oil additive/cleaner/treatment to try and get at that lifter hole that feeds fluid to it so that it might clear a blockage. He did this and then changed the oil after a short time once he was sure the lifters were getting fluid, and no more tick... This guy is is like car rain man.

Hopefully if anyone has any ticking they might try this and get some good results. I certainly will if I start getting a tick.

EDIT: OP, sorry to hear you tried this and got nothing, but it looks like you think it's something else than a lifter. Hope you locate something.

Last edited by DavC; 01-06-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:41 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue and I have heard it as I am in a tunnel or under an overpass with my windows down. While driving it is really not heard. However, at a stoplight with another vehicle beside me, I hear it when I start off. I am taking my LR3 in today to get the lower control arms replaced (130,000) so it is time and the bushings are worn out. I will have my exhaust manifold screws torqued. I am 110% sure it a manifold issue as I bent the hell out of the exhaust climbing a few months back. I am controlling my destiny by taking her into the shop to be repaired so she does not wear down my new E Series Tires I just put on...

Old 01-07-2016, 05:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Bwahahahaha....well played, Ferg!

I was getting angry until I saw the 2nd false-cliche and realized you were making a joke.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:42 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Ticking

Hey guys! I have these same exact noises and cannot figure it out! Did anyone figure out what it was? I have a 2005 LR3 w/ 183,000. Runs like a dream besides this noise driving me nuts! I cannot let this engine fail me before 250k!

Quick Reply: LR3 Ticking after warmed up