LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Tire Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 02:05 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LR3 Tire Help

Just got a set of 18in Rims in and found a killer deal on some used Nitto Terra Grapplers, but they are 275/70/r18 which is 33in NEW. These tires are used so will be a little smaller. I also have the Proud Rhino lift rods.

It really is a great deal, but if they won't work, they won't work. Would love some input!

Thanks!
Eric

Old 03-13-2015, 02:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Don't think they'll work... even worn. 32" seems to be the max size before you run into serious fitment issues. I don't know what the tread depth is on those, but you'd have to shave an entire 1/2" off, which is quite a bit. :P

Old 03-13-2015, 02:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Eric,

1. I think cmb is correct and they won't fit; logically, if they are worn down enough to not cause rubbing/fitment issues, then they are not worth buying.

2. Then again, if the deal is THAT good, and you have the time/money/space/patience, you can buy them and try it out; if they don't work you can just re-sell them for a few dollars more than you bought them for!

Old 03-13-2015, 04:23 PM
Mudding
Default Deans

Has anyone heard of the Dean Durango M/T? Dean is apparently a Cooper Tire company. Found a brand new set for $350.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:16 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If can grab a Gap IID tool and adjust the suspension. Should be good to go

Old 03-14-2015, 12:01 PM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default I'm not sayin don't do it, just be aware.

Originally Posted by bentonrover
If can grab a Gap IID tool and adjust the suspension. Should be good to go
NO.

That is the simple answer. I have a set of 285 65 R18 that are sold as 33 but actually measure out at 32.59 (smaller diameter but slightly wider than 275 70 R18 285/65-R18 vs 275/70-R18 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator) and I can tell you right now that even after having run them for over a year, they still rub. Even with the 2.5 inch Johnson Rod lift and in off-road height, and the rub the sidewalls on suspension parts.

There IS such a thing as EXTENDED height, for getting out of a high-centered situation, but if that is the max the air springs can put out, mine doesn't lift much after off-road height. Which means to me that the air springs are already maxed out with a lift like Johnson Rod or Proud Rhino, so the IID tool won't be able to help much in my opinion.

Buy 'em.

Try 'em.

and spend a bunch of time regretting all the holes rubbed in the fender liners and bumpers and coolant lines and A/C lines, and the rubber being rubbed off the side lugs on the inside of the front tires and so on and so on. Your spare tire will be way to small to even be used, so you will have to buy a rim and a tire as a spare and find a place to mount it because factory location isn't big enough, the OEM tire change jack won't even lift the tire off the ground if you do have to change it anyway, so carry blocks or buy a bottle jack and find a place to store that, IF you don't want to buy a spare, you can buy a tire repair kit and an air compressor but if you puncture a side wall, you could be stranded. If anything happens to your air suspension and it drops to the stops, you won't even be able to drive to the nearest parking lot because the tires will be touching the wheel wells. So far mine has never left me stranded due to the oversize tires, but it is a risk I take until I buy my next set
--- which I assure you, will be smaller ---

So good luck with it! Whatever you decide to do is up to you. Get out there and go wheelin! Cuz lifted trucks and big tires are just showboating if you don't have the scratched paint and dents from actually using the truck off road.

Attached Thumbnails LR3 Tire Help-472009_10151586019825383_813315856_o.jpg   LR3 Tire Help-472009_10151586019810383_2017088750_o.jpg   LR3 Tire Help-1403514_10153554397035383_1992556324_o.jpg  
Old 03-15-2015, 12:07 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by spiderman
NO.

That is the simple answer. I have a set of 285 65 R18 that are sold as 33 but actually measure out at 32.59 (smaller diameter but slightly wider than 275 70 R18 285/65-R18 vs 275/70-R18 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator) and I can tell you right now that even after having run them for over a year, they still rub. Even with the 2.5 inch Johnson Rod lift and in off-road height, and the rub the sidewalls on suspension parts.

There IS such a thing as EXTENDED height, for getting out of a high-centered situation, but if that is the max the air springs can put out, mine doesn't lift much after off-road height. Which means to me that the air springs are already maxed out with a lift like Johnson Rod or Proud Rhino, so the IID tool won't be able to help much in my opinion.

Buy 'em.

Try 'em.

and spend a bunch of time regretting all the holes rubbed in the fender liners and bumpers and coolant lines and A/C lines, and the rubber being rubbed off the side lugs on the inside of the front tires and so on and so on. Your spare tire will be way to small to even be used, so you will have to buy a rim and a tire as a spare and find a place to mount it because factory location isn't big enough, the OEM tire change jack won't even lift the tire off the ground if you do have to change it anyway, so carry blocks or buy a bottle jack and find a place to store that, IF you don't want to buy a spare, you can buy a tire repair kit and an air compressor but if you puncture a side wall, you could be stranded. If anything happens to your air suspension and it drops to the stops, you won't even be able to drive to the nearest parking lot because the tires will be touching the wheel wells. So far mine has never left me stranded due to the oversize tires, but it is a risk I take until I buy my next set
--- which I assure you, will be smaller ---

So good luck with it! Whatever you decide to do is up to you. Get out there and go wheelin! Cuz lifted trucks and big tires are just showboating if you don't have the scratched paint and dents from actually using the truck off road.
literally, when my travel blog gets started, I want to post parts of this post! Soooo awesome and well written! Im planning on going with thw 275/65/r18 which are 31.52 (I think) They are Dean M/Ts, but for $300 for a set of 4, you cant really go wrong! Thanks for the advice!

Old 03-15-2015, 07:00 PM
Camel Trophy

275/65R18 are 32.1" (at least for Goodyear) but that varies per manufacturer. Those are the size I run, and I have had the misfortune of losing EAS on the trail due to an air strut finally giving up (after 105k miles).

Here is what I learned: you really have little room to maneuver with that size tire, on the bump stops. It would be extremely wise to buy an IIDTool and always have it with you, if you are going to run those tires. In an extreme situation, it can get your EAS back up and give you time and opportunity to go pull fuses.

...if your problem is with the compressor itself you're gonna be calling in a tow truck...or a chopper!

For as much as we as a community fear that scenario, I think a properly built LR3 could mitigate that. My sliders protect that compressor very nicely...and the air lines. If it's going to go, I'd think it'd show signs of weakness and if I'm paying attention I can make sure and address it BEFORE I hit the trail with my over-sized tires.

Anyway; when my MT/Rs run out of time and I have to replace them, I would consider going down to a 31.5, but it'd be reluctantly. I like the extra size and I don't run them all the time (Nokians in the stock size on 19s the rest of the time). So I guess we each have to consider our own situation.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:30 AM
Mudding

Got a set of 5 BFG All Terrain K/O's for $390 with 70% tred left. With the Rhino Rod lift, I get NO RUB and the tires fill out the Rover perfectly!

One question though, I got an Alignment done when I got my Rhino Rods and replaced my Control Arms. It looks like the rear wheels are pointed inward in the rear. Would I need to do another alignment since I went from 255/55/r19 to 275/65/r18?

Thanks again guys! #YouRock!

Eric

Old 03-19-2015, 03:22 PM
Camel Trophy

You shouldn't need an alignment. Did you drive it (around the block at least) and then take another look? Any time you have the LR3 jacked up and then put it back on the ground, it looks "wonky" until you "drive out" of that stance.