LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lr3 with tranny problems, should I go for it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 09:12 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Lr3 with tranny problems, should I go for it?

been out of the rover scene for a bit and finally settled in enough at the new place to start looking for an inexpensive beater/beach truck. Stumbled you n an lr3 nearby for 1500 that won't move when put in gear. Went to check it out and it's definitely well used with some minor rust and flaws, in need of tires soon and probably other misc odds and ends. It's been sitting for a bit and knocked a few seconds after quickly settling into normal sounding operation. Cel on but my scanner died so I have to wait to get one on it, evidence of leaking fluid on the Trans did away with my first theory that it was electronics related. Back story is that it was throwing a fault for month before refusing to move one morning. I have a sneaking suspicion that it may have been low on fluid and kept being driven. Priced at 1500, I have to wonder what type of nightmare I would be getting into...assuming I can find a decent used tranny, I'm not sure if they are easy to swap like a disco or if it would be a world of headache. If I could be all in for 3k doing the work it seems worthwhile even with 180k on it, as these typically sell in fairly rough shape for 5-6 nearby. Or, I go the familiar route and find another disco or p38, the latter of which can be an electrical pain too but doesn't seem quite so bad. Any input appreciated

Old 10-13-2018, 10:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 714 Likes on 601 Posts

I would certainly pickup an LR3 at that price. Mainly because it would be easy to flip for the same, if not more, even if you can't solve the issues. So something like that I would buy and dive into. See what the actual problems are. Cant fix? Sell it off for the same price and move on. Fixable? Decide how much you really want to spend and go from there. I think by now *most* LR3 issues are known and have solutions since they have been on the second hand market for some time.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:27 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was thinking the same, the body and interior seem in good shape so worst case I could even part out and come out on top if I couldn't get rid of it as a whole

Old 10-13-2018, 10:39 PM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

déjà vu all over again. Use the search function for this is not the first time this has come up. good luck!

Old 10-14-2018, 02:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently bought a LR3 with similar issues for $2350, although it sounds like yours is in worse shape. I ended up rebuilding the trans and I would say it is not an easy swap, especially if you don't have access to a lift. Probably a 20hr job. Is it a V6 or a V8? The V6 transmissions seem to be more plentiful but the vehicle itself is less desirable. Probably figure on spending 1500-1700 on a used transmission if it's a V8. Buy you may get lucky and just need to clean out the valve body. What got me was that if you do put a used transmission in and you start having problems you could end up going through all that work again very soon which is why I opted to rebuild (about $1600 in parts) and 60hrs of work total including troubleshooting afterwards.

Here is my thread: https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...ny-gear-90768/