LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Transmission Swap Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 11:55 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LR3 Transmission Swap Help!

Hello,

So my Lr3 has been asking a lot of me and my wallet lately. I just performed an engine swap where I dropped an 07 motor in. That was a beating. I have been having a separate issue with my transmission giving me a fault code.

I changed out the fluid during the engine swap hoping that would fix the issues but it did not.

I took the Lr3 to two different shops and both advise a transmission rebuild. I purchased a used unit off of a 06 Range Rover Sport and had the shop install it.

They called me and said the transmission will only go into 1st,2nd,3rd, and reverse.

I have heard that these transmissions can be vin specific or is it a problem with the megatronic?

Does it have to be programed?

Or could it be something simple like them not hooking the shift up correctly?

Could anyone provide any suggestions? They are looking into it but that means more money from me and if I can suggest where to look, that may save me a lot.

Thank you,

Old 05-09-2017, 12:16 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

I have done it many times.

You have to swap the Mechatronics from the original trans into the transplant.

Remove pan, Remove valve body(its the dome cap Torx screws, they are different than the others that hold the valve body together), Pull the mechatronics from valve body(there are 2 guide pins, and reinstall. Make sure the slide pin thingy(don't know the name) is lined up in the slot with the mechatronics.

No programming necessary. Mechatronics are VIN specific and once mated cannot be mated to another vehicle.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Flyun (08-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 12:37 PM
Drifting

Thanks abran. I just called the shop and they are going to do that switch. Now I just hope the megatronic wasn't the issue in the first place with the first transmission.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:33 PM
Baja

Good luck, lets us know if that does the trick.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:49 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Usually if there is an issue with the Mechatronics, its a solenoid issue or a worn valve bore. Rarely is the fault in the actual TCM. (The TCM is what has the programming for the trans and also the vehicles VIN, which Abran advised you to swap over).

I don't like used transmissions because who knows what the condition of the replacement is. I don't really like swapping TCMs either because the programming is calibrated to the separator plate between the two valvebody halves, but it does work and its the only way to make the best of a less than desirable situation.
But you do what you got to do.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:01 AM
Baja

^ if you install a rebuilt trans you replace the mechatroncs/TCM?

i have installed 3 rebuilt transmissions and swap over mechatronics/TCM, do a software update, and adaptions reset. Never had any issues with doing this on rebuilt trans and lower mileage used trans.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:05 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
^ if you install a rebuilt trans you replace the mechatroncs/TCM?

i have installed 3 rebuilt transmissions and swap over mechatronics/TCM, do a software update, and adaptions reset. Never had any issues with doing this on rebuilt trans and lower mileage used trans.
I rebuild them myself, so I don't have that issue. When I do buy individual parts for the Mechatronics, you do have to order by either the transmission code on the green tag, or use the code on the separator plate.

If you are swapping an LR3 trans into another LR3 with the same motor, chances are, they are the same and will give zero issues doing it the way you have been doing it.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:18 PM
Drifting

So I got the truck back today after they switched the megatronics. All is good. I appreciate the help.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:57 PM
Baja

Awesome!

i have rebuilt a trans myself- master rebuild kit, bushing kit as well as the valve body with the zip kit and new solenoids.

after that I just swap the mechatronics.

Do you do more than that?

Old 02-10-2022, 04:35 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help!!

Hey guys I know this is an old post but I’m looking to buy a 2006 Land Rover LR3 HSE the guy said he changed the transmission and still giving him same codes I’m guessing the issue is what these guys were taking about the Mechatronics but I’m sure there’s no way to get the original Mechatronics
the codes is giving is p0735 and p0729
any help would be appreciate!!!

Quick Reply: LR3 Transmission Swap Help!