LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Transmission thump

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 11:19 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR3 Transmission thump

Hello – New member here - after searching the forum I see several Transmission issues and fixes but none that match my problem. I purchased my LR3 used last year (2008 4.4 HSE originally an American truck now registered in Canada) The last owner had a main Land Rover dealer service including transmission flush – sleeve and pan changed at 118000 miles in May 2013 – I have a copy of the receipt and no problems or advise is noted. Now at 127000 miles I am experiencing a delay and then hard thump into gear during the change from 3rd to 4th. No messages for several days then “Limited gears available” and stuck in 3rd. I took it to a local independent Land Rover guy who seems to be knowledgeable and he was convinced it was an electrical problem but after searching suggested he take it to a Main Dealer to reflash. The main dealer did not reflash but diagnosed the transmission as finished and needing replacement.Not convinced – my local guy removed the pan and everything looks good – No metal or visible damage – Then removed the Valve Body and again this checks out as O.K. so he put it back together (new Pan) but I still have the same issue. Now the thump is not so hard (Fluid was a little low before, but now full) but it is nearly every change from 3rd to 4th but only 3rd to 4th. No other work has been done – No Tire changes or rotation or any other electrical problems since I have had it. Has anyone experienced the same or any pointers on what to look for? Should I commit to a used or rebuilt transmission and hope this is the fix? Happy with the truck but frustrated.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Sounds electrical,I have this issue on my dodge truck, trans shop tried new solonoids , valve body upgrade etc.,i found if i clean grounds it goes back to normal for a while

has he checked the transmission ecm plug for corrosion? Its behind the battery, common

What about other connections on trans harness

These trucks seem to like getting corrosion in the connectors

Just seems odd that the trans would go bad so soon after servicing and the miles are not that high unless it was driven a lot low on fluid

Last edited by TOM R; 12-13-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:43 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cant understand why they cant just reflash or update the computer. At this point you have nothing to lose. I would call another dealer and tell them you just installed a rebuilt tranny and need to get the ecu updated. Good luck

Old 12-14-2014, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Was it they wouldn't or couldnt ?

It may be you need a trans ecm, have you unplugged it to check condition of the connector, it is known to get corroded

It is in a black box on firewall behind battery

Old 12-15-2014, 07:54 AM
5th Gear

Thanks for the input. Sounds like we need to keep chasing down the electrical side before going any further. The main dealer wouldn't refash - said it might make things worse or lock up the transmission! It might take me a few days to get back to this and check the ecm but I will update as soon as I can. Anything else I can look for?

Old 12-15-2014, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

If they said reflash can make it worse that definitely tells me its electrical, just my opinion

Old 01-21-2015, 03:13 PM
5th Gear
Default MontrealLR

I should have posted an update to this thread before now, but I am still stuck in the same position. Now 2 main dealers will not re-flash and one maintains it needs a new transmission. The independent guy has not found anything electrical but still believes the transmission is good. I appear to have only 2 choices left to me. Replace / rebuild transmission – if not this then replace ECU – if not this then wire harness and so on – Or – walk away. As much as I love the truck I cannot keep chasing this and am about to trade for a more boring vehicle. Any last ideas or options I might try?

Old 01-21-2015, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Cannot replace the ecu without re flashing it. There are some places that will rebuild the valve body.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

You may need a new tranny, from what I've learned. You could possibly just put in new megatronics, but at that mileage, makes more sense to put in a full reman with new torque converter. Let me know if you need a tranny, drop me a PM I'm currently getting some on order.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:01 AM
5th Gear

Thanks for the replies – The valve body has already been out and tested on the bench and all comes back O.K. – as far as the transmission – visibly it looks good. I am still reluctant to change anything major without knowing where the fault is. Is there any way of testing the ECU output and the wire harness? Maybe a voltage drop on one of the wires is delaying the solenoid for third to fourth? – As a side note the solenoids were moved positions before reinstalling and the problem is still on the same gear change – 3rd to 4th.

Quick Reply: LR3 Transmission thump