LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 vs Defender?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Pao
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR3 vs Defender?

I've been trying to find out if the LR3 has better off-road capabilities than the Defender (with no mods added). I've been an off-road fan since I was little. My family has had many Defenders over the years which made me a fan of them. But lately I've been investigating about the LR3. I wanna buy a car for off-road next year, but I don't know which one to buy. Does anyone have any idea on which one is best for off-road? Has anyone tested and compared them both and could give me some useful information?

Thanks,

- Pao

Old 12-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: LR3 vs Defender?

Read the tread on LR3 Vs Discovery for some good info on the LR3. However, I am not at all familiar with the Defenders so I am not the right person to share opinions on this one.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:57 PM
mpt
4wd Low

I've been on a number of off road trips with the LR clubs in Singapore and Malaysia. I have to say the Defender would likely kick LR3 butt in off road challenge - not to say the LR3 is not great, cause it is - but the defender is a true off road machine and built that way - very utilitarian. I see it as a very different vehicle and if you plan to do serious off roading, go Defender - likely much cheaper too. But if you plan to be more urban/suburban, go LR3. Most of these guys with their Defenders could never go shopping cause the Defenders never made the height limits to most parking areas. Enjoy. Both vehicles are awesome. (note: I am suburban LR3, but still wouldtake a second look atthe Defender if it was sold in US as it would likely get me back into offroading - remembering the tree/branch scratches I put on my previous 4x4, Ill happily keep my LR3 on the street).

Old 01-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i beleve motor trend durring their review thinks it is just as capable but i personally would be suprised if it were true but hey have driven alot of stuff
also check out the motor trend buyers edition and look at what they say about the lr3 the say it goes anywhere literally and the h2 is an urban tough guy or somthing derogitory it is good check it out

Old 01-06-2008, 01:02 AM
Mudding

I think you would have to have some serious mods to a Defender to equal an unmodified LR3 with the Heavy Duty Package, ie...rear diff lock. Having been on trips with both, unmodified LR3's just ate up the Defenders without mods, and the LR3 was able to pretty much keep up with even the modified ones. Of course, if one has a seriously modifed Defender, the short wheelbase, etc will tip things that way. Also, the Defender doesn't have all the electronics, so there is less chance for potential breakdown. I love my LR3 with Rear Diff Lock, 285x60x18's. And it really eats up the Disco's

Old 01-06-2008, 08:09 AM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends what you call 'off-road'. On a moderate rock crawl with a defender with swaybars disconnected you're going to fit bigger tires, and you're going to have much more diff clearance, and significantly greater articulation, better views of obstacles and easier routes through tighter spaces.