LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 won't start, multiple codes and no solution. Trans fault Parking break fault, HDC

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 10:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 215 Likes on 189 Posts

Any codes for the crank or cam sensors ? those get hot and fail then once cool work again or vice versa.

Old 05-06-2024, 11:37 PM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the input - but no fault codes for the cam or crank sensors.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:48 PM
Overlanding

Today the LR3 started today after sitting for a couple days.The F warning light came on but was able to drive the car around, I parked did not turn off the engine and reviewed the Fault List on the GAP Tool. Lots of "loss communication" faults.but no crank or cam sensor faults.
I cleared the faults (see the faults that remained listed below) and drove the car around again, immediately after driving I the car, I shut it off and then restarted it - no problem - I did this several times no problem restarting. Then switched it off and let it sit for 5 minutes - no start again.

Body Control
B1A93-93 - Invalid roof position - Component failure - no operation (2B)
( on 08-05-2024 18:56:51 at 99475 mi )
B1C26-3A - Pedal motor feedback circuit - Frequency modulation/pulse width modulation failure - incorrect, has too many pulses (2B)
( on 08-05-2024 18:56:52 at 99475 mi )
B1C32-13 - Steering column tilt solenoid - General electrical failure - circuit open (2B)
B1C34-13 - Steering column telescope solenoid - General electrical failure - circuit open (2B)

Transfer Case
U1A35-4A - VIN data - System internal failure - incorrect component installed (2B)
( on 08-05-2024 18:56:57 at 99480 mi )

I understand the Transfer Case failure is probably caused by the new TCCM I installed, it probably needs to be programmed by the Land Rover dealer - but it does seem to work when it is running.
I do not understand the Steering Column Solenoid issue. Could this be the cause of the starting problem?
I really don't get what is going on. - Thanks for any input here.

Old 05-09-2024, 05:54 AM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Did you happen to record the codes before the clear? Being this is an intermittent issue having a data pull during the issue happening is probably going to yield the best information.

Old 05-09-2024, 01:43 PM
Overlanding

Yes - See attached fault list taken after it was driven and was running.
I also sent this fault list to the GAP Tech and he provided the following response:
"Its either a High speed CAN wiring issue or a bad IPC Instrument pack ECU. Both have been seen in the past. CAN wires run thru the car thus it can be anywhere.
Wiring attached,"
I then asked him; "Since the CAN wires issue can be "anywhere" would a bad IPC instrument pack ECU be the place to start? Is this something that needs to be programmed by a Land Rover Dealer? - I have not received a response yet.
I am wondering where the IPC Instrument Pack ECU is located? and if it is hard to to replace?

Thanks for your input.

Attached Files
Old 05-09-2024, 04:35 PM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The IPC Instrument Pack ECU is the instrument cluster with the gauges. I do see a bunch of codes for lack of communication with the PCM (engine control module). I agree with their assessment there could be an issue with the CAN bus. I'm curious if when the truck is acting up if you have communication with the PCM. I would also look for what modules you do not have communication with when the vehicle is acting up. Having that info might be able to help narrow down where the issue with the CAN bus is.

Also when the truck acts up take a multimeter and measure the voltage on pin 6 of the OBD connector and also in pin 14 of the OBD connector.

Old 05-09-2024, 05:16 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the input. I will check out the items you noted in the next couple days.
When you say "acting up" do you mean not starting?
As a novice there are somethings you suggested that are a bit over my head - which one is the OBD connector? And how do you identify the pin #'s?

Finally Would the issues that I am having be something a Land Rover Service Ctr be able to diagnose and fix fairly easily?
My understanding it that they could reprogram the new TCCM which is one of the faults that consistently comes up.

Thanks again.

Old 05-09-2024, 07:10 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Skully91
Thanks for the input. I will check out the items you noted in the next couple days.
When you say "acting up" do you mean not starting?
As a novice there are somethings you suggested that are a bit over my head - which one is the OBD connector? And how do you identify the pin #'s?

Finally Would the issues that I am having be something a Land Rover Service Ctr be able to diagnose and fix fairly easily?
My understanding it that they could reprogram the new TCCM which is one of the faults that consistently comes up.

Thanks again.
If the shop is any good they should be able to diagnose but sadly many dont have a clue, i would start at the wiring connector behind the LH wheel that sits on the chassis.
Its a known issue for canbus errors and can give similar symptoms to a failing IPC, my fiends car had similar starting problems and even after sending his cluster away to be repaired it still persisted.
Took it to a well known indy and they diagnosed and fixed it along with a few other items to the tune of 4K.
IPC issues usually manifest themselves with the cluster going on and off randomly as well as doors locking/unlocking and hazard lights coming one.

Old 05-09-2024, 08:55 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the info - Will start at with connectors at the LH wheel - Left Rear Wheel?

Thanks!

Old 05-09-2024, 10:18 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Skully91
Thanks for the info - Will start at with connectors at the LH wheel - Left Rear Wheel?

Thanks!
sorry yes left rear and i meant to add that my friends car had a broken wire on one of the canbus circuits and once fixed it was good again.

Quick Reply: LR3 won't start, multiple codes and no solution. Trans fault Parking break fault, HDC