LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing Radio / Amp

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 12:14 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Missing Radio / Amp

Hello Everyone!

Just flew into the forums a little while ago and I appreciate all of the information that has been shared, but I've got a bit of an odd situation and thought it would be best put to the experts.

I just picked up a 2005 LR3 SE; 9-Speaker / 300 Watt / Harmon Kardon w/ Navigation... unfortunately... the radio has been nicked and so has the amp under the passenger seat.

Would like to put an OEM back in there to maintain the aesthetic of the interior and avoid the ugly aftermarket Pioneers etc that have been commonplace for decades.

Only two things is stopping me, one... they cut the wires on both the amp wiring harness AND the radio connection... two.. I don't know how to ID what was taken.

I don't care to doctor the harness and shrink wrap a new end on it for the OEM radio because I have an Electrical Engineering background and I'm used to working with that sort of thing but what would you all do? I figure if even the aftermarket full touch screen radio is put in.. I'm still going to need an adapter wiring harness so I'm going to be spending more money that way. If I did go the OEM route, how would I identify the radio ID for my vehicle? I've seen different types which I'll list below.

VUX500320

VUX500330

etc

And the amp is the same way... I have no idea how to identify them and if I do get one without an ID, won't it be locked to where not even the dealer can help because they won't know where the radio came from?

Are there only certain years that work for the radio swap or are all of the LR3 interchangeable?

This is the last bit I've got left before it's ready to hit the road so I am pretty excited.

Thank you for all your responses in advance!

Old 03-30-2023, 06:12 AM
Winching
Received 115 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Yes you can

I can't speak for the amp, but I know you can swap radios without any VIN issues.

You need the L319 (Discovery 3) wire diagram.

I am not at my desk, right now but will attach the documents when get to the "office" In the mean time someone else may come along and attach it for me.

Jeff

Old 03-30-2023, 06:39 AM
Winching
Default wiring diagram

Here is the wiring diagram. It should help identify the wire mess in your dash.

Jeff

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L319 wiring diagram.pdf (9.90 MB, 62 views)
Old 03-30-2023, 07:20 AM
Three Wheeling

Here are the options on Radio and Amp that I am seeing…

If you get a radio without the code can you still use it do you think?

Radios
*IMAGE REMOVED / TOO LARGE*
Amps
*IMAGE REMOVED / TOO LARGE*
Please let me know.

Last edited by Dorel; 03-31-2023 at 08:56 AM. Reason: *IMAGE REMOVED / TOO LARGE*
Old 03-30-2023, 07:21 AM
Three Wheeling
Talking

Originally Posted by Rufflyer
Here is the wiring diagram. It should help identify the wire mess in your dash.

Jeff
Thank you. I’ve got hundreds of BMW wiring diagrams and parts catalogues… this is my first Land Rover. Haha.

Old 03-30-2023, 08:46 AM
Winching
Default These radios have codes?

I just swapped a 6 disk 9 speaker radio from a 2005 base to a 2006 SE with no issues

Last edited by Rufflyer; 03-30-2023 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-31-2023, 12:33 AM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

There are only two types of radio/cd players. Base model radio with single cd player (no phone button pad) and the CD-465 (with phone button pad) and 6 cd changer. There are many different "revs" or part numbers but all seem to interchange. NOTE: The base model radio won't work with a unit that has an under seat external amp and the CD-465 wont replace a base model radio. Amps: Base model LR3 with single cd player has NO amp. Next level has an amp under the passenger seat and is bare aluminum finish (found on non-Logic 7 LR3's without rear pillar speakers) Logic 7 system has a black amp under the passenger seat and will have rear pillar speakers. Your kinda screwed if the cut the orange optical cables. I don't know if they make a "connector" to repair them.

Last edited by 5280LR3; 03-31-2023 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-31-2023, 08:46 AM
Three Wheeling
Talking

I appreciate that information.

Was able to call the dealer and give them my VIN... get a quote for 4,400$ in replacement cost but also get my OEM numbers and the ones that superseded them.. now the issue is finding a salvage yard that has both and is willing to snip their harness on both ends.

Diidn't see a fiberoptic cable when I checked but if needed I can splice it with the other part of the connector or just run a new one all together. I've got the tools and have worked with fiberoptic. Just didn't know where to start with the intricacies of the Land Rover. On imports I've noticed you can spend a silly amount money on things that don't work at the end of the day because you started without one particular bit of information.. I guess that is most things though. Haha.

Already gutting two (2) BMWs right now to make one usable one (1) so if I've got to run the wires I won't be terribly upset having to pull everything out.. just means a few Youtube Interior teardowns.

Old 04-03-2023, 08:51 AM
Three Wheeling

So it seems like I've found my radio and amp both... possibly. When I get them, is there any dealer magic that has to be done? I know sometimes you need a code. These are both coming from a salvage vehicle.