LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my LR3 now forever 'DEAD' ??!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 09:50 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is my LR3 now forever 'DEAD' ??!!

Alrighty...so, I've now an issue that is seemingly 'the end' of my 2006 LR3. (135K mileage)
That is...unless one of you forum gurus can identify what the heck to do next!!! ;-)
Over the years I've experienced electrical anomalies too mumerous to accurately count -- although nothing like what just occurred.
And I've remedied the bulk of them myself: from replacing door & dash switches, to power window regulators, to rear hatch actuators, etc., etc.
But what just happened is beyond 'Land Rover Normal'.
Here's how events developed to where it is now:
- Turned over engine and a number of error icons illuminated... (too many, which made it almost non-sensical as this has been seen previously when only actually a single issue proved to be at hand)
- Within just a minute, began to smell burning rubber/(plastic?) and see faint smoke rising from engine compartment.
- Powered off ignition -- and initially sensing it could be a belt issue, opened bonnet, then turned engine back on and observed all visible belts appeared normal.
- Returned to driver's seat (to turn off engine, but had not done so yet) and noticed all those visible error icons fade away only to have the red battery icon appear...then vanish as the engine also cut off on it's own!
Here's where things then stood:
NO POWER - DASH BOARD COMPLETELY BLACK - NO IGNITION
Towed it to a reliable mechanic shop that's worked on this LR3 previously a number of times.
They hooked up their Jump Box and *poof*... thought it fried out (turns out it tripped internal breaker). Tony said he's 'never seen anything like that before'.
Then connected their Battery Charger AND THE LIGHTS THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE LARGE SHOP STARTED FLICKERING LIKE A DANCE CLUB with some permanently blown out!!! Tony said 'Damnest thing I've ever seen'.
At this point, Tony & Staff figure they've seen enough, and want nothing more to do with it ;-)
It appears the LR3 is back-feeding power out, if that's at all possible.
I've still no idea where the burning smell and smoke eminated from but I'm supposing now from what happened at the shop that it may have been electrical harness/wiring (though haven't removed any panels yet and don't really know where to begin.)
Sure hoping that some of you folks have some ideas to share.... please let me know your thoughts!!!
Thanks so much in advance!
Scott

Old 09-03-2020, 12:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 210 Likes on 184 Posts

Sounds like the alternator has shorted and let the smoke out and possibly took out the battery as well, seems common with these vehicles.

The following users liked this post:
Athana (09-16-2021)
Old 09-03-2020, 07:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 715 Likes on 601 Posts

^ What he said. The alternator probably failed internally. You could simply go under and disconnect the positive lead to it and see if it will start/run from the battery properly. Don't forget to disconnect battery before disconnecting alternator.

Athana (09-16-2021)
Old 09-04-2020, 05:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

There was a fault where the cable from the alternator to the battery shorted to the diff causing similar problems

Athana (09-16-2021)
Old 09-04-2020, 08:22 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thnx all, for your replies!

Athana (09-16-2021)