LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Repair Estimate--Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 05:39 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Let me again make clear, the only thing OP provided was codes and quotes. He never said he took it in for diagnostics or anything. I think any wise person would respond the same way I did to the information that was provided, however since abran was so welcomingly condescending in his response I will respond in kind:

Thank god the owner of the shop is here to provide a completely objective and unbiased response regarding the prices of his repairs. I don't know what we would do without this, if only the owner of every shop would pop up on these type of threads to clear up any confusion on repairs. Now that the owner of the shop has responded, I completely advocate you give him any amount of money he asks for for any repair he says is warranted. Then, afterwards you should tip him for being so kind and honest to defend his prices valiantly on an obscure LR3 forum, I mean, clearly with what information we have, we know that these repairs are 100% kosher and true such that you should take your truck to this guys shop for anything and pay him whatever he wants because he's so trustworthy.

Again, I was merely responding to the information provided objectively. Why this warrants such a defensive and abrasive response is unknown to me. You'll have to ask Abran.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

...what made his response so brazen, defensive and condescending?

...just not seeing it. Then again, the response wasn't directed at me. Was it the all caps bold font at the end? I think you have to at least acknowledge that said some things in your post that could have been taken the wrong way. The way you worded the bit about the alternator not being OEM for example, made it sound like there was an element of deception at play. So you're not completely clean in this.

None of us are perfect writers, I know I've caused my share of tiffs on this board by poorly chosen words....or drunk-posting, oh man that's the worst. Anyway, I'll leave you guys to hug it out and we can move on...

Old 12-04-2019, 06:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

Lots of irony in post #11...

The following 2 users liked this post by DakotaTravler:
houm_wa (12-04-2019), Identamerican (12-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 04:02 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by houm_wa
...what made his response so brazen, defensive and condescending?

...just not seeing it. Then again, the response wasn't directed at me. Was it the all caps bold font at the end? I think you have to at least acknowledge that said some things in your post that could have been taken the wrong way. The way you worded the bit about the alternator not being OEM for example, made it sound like there was an element of deception at play. So you're not completely clean in this.

None of us are perfect writers, I know I've caused my share of tiffs on this board by poorly chosen words....or drunk-posting, oh man that's the worst. Anyway, I'll leave you guys to hug it out and we can move on...
I completely get where you're coming from. I'm not trying to be hostile or anything, I'm poking fun it him because he seemed so defensive. I mean, if you're the guy that owns the shop you could easily post the reasoning and rhyme behind every quote without without talking down to people. For instance "We think X because we tested Y and got Z result so we want to replace part A, the price comes from B labor and C parts," or "We think codes were caused by X so we're going to replace and see what comes back for further repairs, during inspection we also noticed Y and Z so we recommend doing those as well."

Going to the length of all caps boldposting seems a bit defensive to me, but whatever. As an aside, I've gotten BS quotes from quite a few shops so I hold mechanics to a level of scrutiny that I might not hold a painter to and I think it's warranted.

Last edited by Identamerican; 12-05-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

"....Looks to be like you're being shafted."

Do you blame him for being defensive?

Anyway, I understand you didn't mean to be hostile. Text can be tone-deaf sometimes.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:39 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by Identamerican
Let me again make clear, the only thing OP provided was codes and quotes. He never said he took it in for diagnostics or anything. I think any wise person would respond the same way I did to the information that was provided, however since abran was so welcomingly condescending in his response I will respond in kind:

Thank god the owner of the shop is here to provide a completely objective and unbiased response regarding the prices of his repairs. I don't know what we would do without this, if only the owner of every shop would pop up on these type of threads to clear up any confusion on repairs. Now that the owner of the shop has responded, I completely advocate you give him any amount of money he asks for for any repair he says is warranted. Then, afterwards you should tip him for being so kind and honest to defend his prices valiantly on an obscure LR3 forum, I mean, clearly with what information we have, we know that these repairs are 100% kosher and true such that you should take your truck to this guys shop for anything and pay him whatever he wants because he's so trustworthy.

Again, I was merely responding to the information provided objectively. Why this warrants such a defensive and abrasive response is unknown to me. You'll have to ask Abran.
@Identamerican I apologize if I came off that way. I could have worded it better, but was busy and tired of messing around with this customer anyways.

So, Please accept my apologies.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:44 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
OEM for example, made it sound like there was an element of deception at play. So you're not completely clean in this.
We only install Denso, OEM alternators, not Original Land Rover.

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (12-06-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 04:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

Alternators and starters are both OEM. So anything from LR is just repackaged Denso stuff. I hate paying the markup for stickers, the product itself is identical.

The following users liked this post:
abran (12-06-2019)