LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Removing Tow Hitch Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 12:03 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Removing Tow Hitch Assembly

I bought my 2006 LR3 HSE used and wasn't well versed in the unnecessarily complex tow hitch at the time, I was just excited it had one.

Come to find out I am missing the orange "key" off my hitch. The guy I bought it from on craigslist has been MIA on responding about it so I'm working with what I have. From the picture you can tell someone has been working it over trying to turn it and get it off.

I can pull the **** out and it will turn about an 1/8 to 1/4 turn but that is all.

Any ideas on how to get it off?

Also does anyone know what the difference is between the hitch I have (pictured at the bottom that goes back under the car) and the shorter, stubbier version?

Attached Thumbnails Need Help Removing Tow Hitch Assembly-20150817_164103647_ios.jpg  
Old 08-17-2015, 12:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

The key will not come out unless the hitch is actually inserted into its receptor slot on the car. Only then will you be able to turn it to lock the mechanism and remove the key.

As far as the different versions, the longer "plow" version that you have is simply the older model. It's been updated with the model pictured at the top of the screen.

The following users liked this post:
depriestlr (04-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2015, 12:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Oh, I'm sorry... I misread your post. I thought you were trying to get the key out of one of the hitches pictured in the comparison picture.

Disregard my advice.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:12 PM
8th Gear

yeah no problem

Hitch is attached to the car and works, i've trailered a few light loads.

I do not have a key, and as you can see in the attached image the green plastic piece has been beat up pretty good by previous owner. I'm interested in getting it off so that i can access my spare if needed and do avoid rusting the receiver.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Can't help with the key, but the difference between the 2 hitches is the height the ball sits at when fitted. The top one sits higher than the bottom one, so depending upon what you're towing you can set the ball to get it to ride level.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know who makes the lock or how it is made (because of the picture), but this is what happened to me. I had an el-cheapo reese hitch lock that I lost the key for. Tried crow bar etc with no luck; just not enough leverage. On mine there was a rubber cover that slides off exposing the business end of the lock. After I took the rubber piece off, I noticed that there was a pin through side of the locking cylindrical portion (the part the key goes into). So I grabbed my drill and started drilling on the pin itself. About 3 seconds later (I'm not exaggerating) the whole thing flew apart, mostly due to the spring inside of it. I just threw the whole thing away. Kind of worries me that they sell these and they are supposed to provide some level of security. Like anything else, it keeps an honest person honest and that's about it.

Last edited by june82000; 08-17-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The last guy i read about trying to fix it, ended up losing his trailer that weekend.. That was just recently. Oh, here it is https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...o-idiot-74974/

You might consider the high clearance one posted by Ghaniba

Old 08-17-2015, 10:55 PM
Overlanding

I have the newer, stubbier type, but think the locking part is the same:
Unlocking allows the green **** to be pulled out, thus enabling more than 1/8 to 1/4 turn.
If you drive out the roll pin that runs through the green **** (I used a small nail as a punch, worked fine and you can reuse the pin), you should be able to slide the **** on the shaft out enough to clear the locking mechanism, allowing enough rotation to disengage the hitch.
I don't think a new key alone is available, that you'll need to purchase the lock too, but don't remember it being that expensive (for LR) on enquiring a while ago when I thought I'd lost my key.
When you come to put it back on, the green **** should rotate and lock in place, allowing removal of the key. You shouldn't be able to remove the key unless it's locked, and you shouldn't be able to lock it unless it's in place. Should you have any concerns, you can always look under the hitch, should be able to see the pin engaged in the receiving part on the truck.
I tow fairly often, and tend to remove the assembly when I'm not using it - and as mentioned elsewhere, key to these hitches seems to be lubrication.
Good luck

Old 08-18-2015, 10:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by unseenone
The last guy i read about trying to fix it, ended up losing his trailer that weekend.. That was just recently. Oh, here it is https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...o-idiot-74974/

You might consider the high clearance one posted by Ghaniba
Yep, that was me. I now have a Curt Class III hitch secured to my frame with four, count em, four bolts as opposed to one little steel bar.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

LOL... too bad I couldn't convince to to try the other one... but at least you are sorted out for now.

Quick Reply: Need Help Removing Tow Hitch Assembly