LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Removing Tow Hitch Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 03:14 PM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default different events

Originally Posted by cmb6s
Spiderman, do you think that part of the problem with detachment of your hitch might have to do with tongue weight? It looks to me like you had an awful lot of weight forward of the axle on that trailer without much to balance in on the back. If the load was more evenly distributed, the center of gravity would be more directly over the trailer axles and less tongue weight. I think these things are only rated for 550 lbs or so IIRC.
The firewood picture was just to show the size of the trailer and that I loaded it front heavy with no issues.

The disconnected trailer hitch picture was taken in the winter with a perfectly balanced load which was two feet of snow.

Trailer tongue weight rating is kinda of a mystery. The stamp on the hitch itself says 770 lbs, but the owners manual says 330 lbs. My trailer is rated at 7,000 lbs and the maximum towed weight (according to owner's manual) is 7,716 lbs.

Any way you look at it, there is now way I have exceeded any of the maximum limits. The problem is simple and the the problem is the pin that locks the hitch to the frame of the vehicle is the weakest point. The pin has to be fully engaged or you run the risk of it popping out of place and dropping the hitch to the ground.

Old 10-10-2023, 04:16 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok so I have a very stuck hitch on the vehicle. The lock is easy to deal with but it appears the mechanism is not budging. I've lubed it and whacked the tongue from the spare wheel side with drift and a hammer. I was thinking to try heat next but don't want to cause damage.

​​​Any experience out there on freeing up these dreadful things..

​​​​​​tHanks.