LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new battery, which one to get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Savannah - lets see where do I begin?!

2- years ago my transmission went, then my engine ceased. Don't ask... I did maintain it at a reputable mechanic in the city, just one thing led to another - I think the real issue was the radiator - long story short replace transmission and engine (both used, similar mileage), and never ran the same - needless to say. It's had this clicking noise as well (not always) but a lot of the time that drives me crazy...

So NOW - I finally left that mechanic after a false 3-amigos alarm and decided only to do what's necessary to keep the truck running for another year (I hope).

I just replaced the tires, had it aligned, rear brakes, and thought I might need new shocks, but they're okay. Landrover told me my engine was in bad shape, I needed a new battery (leaking) and a steering rod. Oh, and another mechanic said I need the intake hoses (leaking).

So now I only should have to replace the battery (which another mechanic tested and said it was fine), replace these intake hoses (and one other thing LR said I should get - some plate) and an oil change.

But my car feels like it's dying. Every time I reverse it stalls then shuts off, when I get to a traffic light it will sometimes stall. When I turn sharp, my wheels sound like they're rubbing against something, and all and all I'm not sure whether I should put another cent in this lemon! Although I really have loved this car and it only has 98,000 on it.

So that's where I'm at. Could the intake hose leaks and leaky battery be the cause of my car feeling like it's dying (the RPM's go down too when I stop at a light).

Thanks for any suggestions! Oh, the guys I ended up getting my tires from (PEPBOYS) need to look at what's making that strange sound when I turn - this is even after the dealership did my alignment!

Old 12-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

1. Certainly most of the things you describe are not going to be fixed by a battery.

2. Leaky and old battery is worth doing, to avoid being stranded. I can imagine that one towing charge in the Big Apple would exceed a battery price.

3. Intake hoses - if by that they mean the large rubber hose that runs from air cleaner to engine, if that has a crack in it the engine will run strange. Vacuum leaks make truck idle and perform strangely. If instead they mean the two smaller hoses that carry coolant water to the throttle body heater plate, that is common on a D2, but may have changed on the LR3. On the D2, there is a throttle body heater plate, with a gasket that leaks.

Leaky hoses that carry air or vaccum could make engine behave strangely at idle, not likely with hoses that just carry coolant.

Your mechanic has hopefully checked and perhaps cleaned the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve), which has a great deal to do with how engine performs at idle. MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor could also be involved. But these are sensors that cost over $100 each, so throwing them at the problems is not a good idea.

Rubbing tires should be easy for tire store to diagnose on their rack.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:39 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I could help u if u want. Again where do u live?

Old 12-05-2011, 06:49 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New York City - Manhattan.