LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new windsheild

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 04:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Need new windsheild

Today in 10 deg F weather I went driving and heard a POP, sounded like a rock hit my car but there were no cars on the road at the time.

I look and see a 3 foot crack all across my windshield.

What I think happened was I turned on my windshield defroster and the temp change caused it to crack from a small pre existing windshield stone chip.

Anyway I am going to need a new one. Any issues from getting a new one put in with all the tiny heater elements in it?

Henderson glass has done work on my wifes honda in the past for windshields but was wondering if the LR3 is as simple as other cars for replacement.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Not really....I'd insist on OEM glass (because that's just me) and ask them if they have done work with heated windshields in the past. Another option is to ask your dealer who they sub the work out to when customers bring their Rovers in, then just take yours there.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:39 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Not really....I'd insist on OEM glass (because that's just me) and ask them if they have done work with heated windshields in the past. Another option is to ask your dealer who they sub the work out to when customers bring their Rovers in, then just take yours there.
Good idea why not get OEM glass? Only reason I can think is my AAA insurance wants to save a buck on the repair.

I'll ask them about heated windshields. My dealer is like 100 miles away so will try local first. We have BMW, Audio, Mercedes etc but no Rover in my area.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

The original screen was Pilkington's Optikool, no one else manufactures it, so there are no other OE or OEMs but that one. Other manufactures claim to be OEM especially a few from China and such like, but their specifications are somewhat suspect. Here in the UK a number of D2 and LR3 owners have had after market screens fitted, that weren't Pilkington's, and have had problems with leaks and non functioning heating elements. So if you can, insist on Pilkington's only.

The following users liked this post:
RAJOD (01-02-2018)
Old 12-27-2017, 04:11 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Interested in hearing how much replacing one of these is...

Old 12-28-2017, 02:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Don't know how much you might pay to have one replaced, but this is how much it would cost to but one from Miamibritish LAND ROVER FRONT GLASS WINDSCREEN WINDSHIELD HEATED LR3 CMB500651 OEM | Miami British Corp.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:37 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Safelite quoted me $200 for a regular windshield, and $420 for a heated windshield for my 04 D2.
I'm fixing other things now, so I have yet to call my insurance and see how much of that they will pay.
My D2 had the heated windshield from the factory as well, so they have to replace it with the same.
I would call Safelite, or go to their website.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:39 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by EastCoast
Interested in hearing how much replacing one of these is...
Its going to cost me $50.00 or $100.00 is my comprehensive deductible.
They will then raise my rate so they can get it back. I'll end up paying for it in the long run.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:09 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel like 10* F shouldn't be cold enough for that to happen.
I use mine up in sub-zero Vermont all the time without any issues. So far. Really don't know what I'd do without that thing sometimes.
Did you have any other chips or cracks in the windshield before this? Worries me as this is shaping up to be a brutally cold winter in the NE.

Edit: I see you said you're not sure if you had any chips before it cracked.

Last edited by ndh_cinema; 12-30-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:46 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ndh_cinema
I feel like 10* F shouldn't be cold enough for that to happen.
I use mine up in sub-zero Vermont all the time without any issues. So far. Really don't know what I'd do without that thing sometimes.
Did you have any other chips or cracks in the windshield before this? Worries me as this is shaping up to be a brutally cold winter in the NE.

Edit: I see you said you're not sure if you had any chips before it cracked.
I never said that. I said I had a old existing stone chip. The crack started at that stone chip. Insurance does not replace for a stone chip it was on passenger side so just cosmetic. If you have any existing stone chips you might want to have them filled with the goop they inject. I wonder if I had that done to mine if the crack would not have occurred.

The stone chip is a starting spot for a crack to happen. I had that chip there for years no issue. But it did pop when I had the defrost on. The crack runs right from that chip across so yes I would say the chip had something to do with it and the heat gave enough stress to get the ball rolling for the crack to start.

Normally Its not going to be an issue unless you have existing chips.

Quick Reply: Need new windsheild