LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new windsheild

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 11:13 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

I'm due for a new windshield, but mostly because I want one. I have two repaired chips and 2 or 3 of my heating elements don't work. The guy I use has non-OE glass, still Pilkington but no Land Rover decal on it. WAY cheaper. Not sure if I should go that route or not. I kinda want that LR decal.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
I'm due for a new windshield, but mostly because I want one. I have two repaired chips and 2 or 3 of my heating elements don't work. The guy I use has non-OE glass, still Pilkington but no Land Rover decal on it. WAY cheaper. Not sure if I should go that route or not. I kinda want that LR decal.
From what I gather, it's the same glass. I've done it twice like that, once on my D2 and again on my LR3

Old 01-02-2018, 03:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by EastCoast
Interested in hearing how much replacing one of these is...
I have AAA insurance with 100.00 deductable. AAA said they would pay up to $618 + my 100 = $718.00 .
OEM - 1,050 including installation
Off brand - 460.00 (meaning I just pay 100.00)

Now both are warrantied against defects as long as I own car. They claim the aftermarket meets all the specs, color etc.

That being said I told the Glass Repair shop that I wanted OEM so they are sending out a OEM approval to AAA waiting to see if they will pay.

Other than me being a member for 25+ years I don't see why they would want to pay because they cheap bastards.

So
Non OEM - I pay 100.00
OEM - I might have to pay 1050 - 618.00 + 100.00 = 532.00

So is it worth paying 432.00 more to get OEM. I am a bit confused as they are saying its just as good, meets the same standards etc etc.

But something in me feels they selling me china made junk vs OEM.

What do you guys think?

I found this on a glass companies site. Not sure if its true or just marketing. ie. the bit about nylon coated clips.

Land Rover Windshield Replacement

Replacing a Land Rover windshield take time and a highly skilled installer. There are many auxiliary parts and clips that are needed. Many of the mouldings used around the glass is made of a vinyl coated metal that will be damaged during the removal process. This luxury SUV windshield replacement usually comes with a luxury price. The vehicles are equipped with many features only found in Land Rover’s. You need a company like Abbey Rowe Auto Glass to ensure your car glass replacement is done properly. Current models have quite the list of options.

Last edited by RAJOD; 01-02-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Are you serious? A 400.00 decal is the only difference. I had to go outside and look for it. I've had my since 2007 and never noticed it, its black letters and small on the drivers side bottom corner. Hardly noticeable.

I guess if you know its there you get paranoid that other people might see it and OMG what if they knew it had no STICKER! you could die

Well then its pretty much real OEM sans sticker. I thought it might be some china outfit.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RAJOD

Land Rover Windshield Replacement

Replacing a Land Rover windshield take time and a highly skilled installer. There are many auxiliary parts and clips that are needed. Many of the mouldings used around the glass is made of a vinyl coated metal that will be damaged during the removal process. This luxury SUV windshield replacement usually comes with a luxury price. The vehicles are equipped with many features only found in Land Rover’s. You need a company like Abbey Rowe Auto Glass to ensure your car glass replacement is done properly. Current models have quite the list of options.
This can be true. When I chose Pilkington (non OEM, no Land Rover logo), I had to spec all the ancillary parts like the finishing clips, etc. Once when my insurance agreed to pay for dealer spec glass, the parts all magically showed up with the glass.

BTW, if anybody is wondering, the part number for dealer glass is: CMB500651 (including heated, and rain sensor cutout)

My local PNW insurance, PEMCO, had no issue replacing mine with dealer glass for a total of my $100 deductible but then raised my rates a year later by about 5%

Old 01-02-2018, 04:33 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by schwaggy
This can be true. When I chose Pilkington (non OEM, no Land Rover logo), I had to spec all the ancillary parts like the finishing clips, etc. Once when my insurance agreed to pay for dealer spec glass, the parts all magically showed up with the glass.

BTW, if anybody is wondering, the part number for dealer glass is: CMB500651 (including heated, and rain sensor cutout)

My local PNW insurance, PEMCO, had no issue replacing mine with dealer glass for a total of my $100 deductible but then raised my rates a year later by about 5%
Yea the insurance companies never really pay they simply loan you the money to pay for your own repairs by raising the rates.

I am leary of non OEM glass. Do the new windshields come with clips? Or maybe these clips are a dime a dozen and any shop has a bucket full of them.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

@RAJOD I guess ultimately it would come down to the price difference and verification that there is truly no difference besides the sticker. I'm not THAT crazy...

Old 01-03-2018, 07:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

'Pilkington' IS the OEM glass for all Land Rovers (LR). And Optikool, as found on all newer LRs, is a Pilkington's registered Patent, no one else makes it.

Anyone who tells you a screen without the Land Rover logo, says 'Pilkington" on it is non-OE is wrong. Only Pilkington's manufacture the screens fitted to new LRs. If you still have a 'Land Rover' embossed screen it is made by Pilkington's for LR (check it for your self). The only difference between it and a screen supplied by a non-LR stockist/Dealer is the area where the LR logo would have been is blank, but, it does say 'Pilkington "PVB OPTIKOOL LAMINATED"'. Oh! and it's cheaper, no Land Rover mark up.

If it doesn't say 'Pilkington' it's not OE or OEM.

As I said before, there are a number of aftermarket screens for the LR3 and while they are made to a specification they are not very often perfect. Here, in the UK, many owners have found that there can be problems with aftermarket screens fitting properly and heating elements working right across them, plus the rain and auto light sensors fail.

But you know what they say "you get what you pay for"

Last edited by Alphamale; 01-03-2018 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:09 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Alphamale
'Pilkington' IS the OEM glass for all Land Rovers (LR). And Optikool, as found on all newer LRs, is a Pilkington's registered Patent, no one else makes it.

Anyone who tells you a screen without the Land Rover logo, says 'Pilkington" on it is non-OE is wrong. Only Pilkington's manufacture the screens fitted to new LRs. If you still have a 'Land Rover' embossed screen it is made by Pilkington's for LR (check it for your self). The only difference between it and a screen supplied by a non-LR stockist/Dealer is the area where the LR logo would have been is blank, but, it does say 'Pilkington "PVB OPTIKOOL LAMINATED"'. Oh! and it's cheaper, no Land Rover mark up.

If it doesn't say 'Pilkington' it's not OE or OEM.

As I said before, there are a number of aftermarket screens for the LR3 and while they are made to a specification they are not very often perfect. Here, in the UK, many owners have found that there can be problems with aftermarket screens fitting properly and heating elements working right across them, plus the rain and auto light sensors fail.

But you know what they say "you get what you pay for"
I don't think they said anything about "Its not OEM but this one says Pilkington and this one says MADE IN CHINA. Its OEM or some other no name company its not like I can precheck this before I buy it. They don't have them lined up like shoes. Its OEM or roll the dice and take what comes in. I'm sure some china company has a knock off of a Pilkington they sell cheap to insurance company repair shops.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

The one I have, which is a replacement, doesn't give a place of origin it just says Pilkington "PVB Optikool laminated'. I think if you are wanting as original you should specify 'Pilkington Optikool'.

It very likely that Pilkington's have a plant in China, after all just about everyone else these days seems to and the Made in China bit is just so you know what country it's from. While a lot of knock-offs come out of China there are a lot of well known companies who are having their products made there, Apple to name but one.

Usually OEM will be from the same company, and maybe the same production line, that supplied the screen to the vehicle's manufacturer.

Last edited by Alphamale; 01-03-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Need new windsheild