LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Guy! Soon to be a proud owner of an LR3 looking for advice!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 10:35 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Guy! Soon to be a proud owner of an LR3 looking for advice!!!!!

Hello,

I will be soon a pround owner of a used 2007 LR3 HSE with 54700 miles on it and it seems to be in great conditions, it needs a few things here and there. Like new breaks, sunroof doesnt work, and minor stuff.

if you guys can answer some questions that i can go in with to the dealership it would be great.

How much are the breaks on all 4?

How much for a second key?

Sunroof repair cost?

Blown speaker all the way at the rear? repair cost?

Another thing is that when i tell everyone that i will be getting a Land Rover they tell me to not buy it PERIOD!!!

They say that they are not that reliable, cost too much to maintain, break down too often etc, etc.

Can you guys help me out with the cost of the stuff that need to be repaired and maybe i can negotiate the price with the dealership.

The price of the car is at 24K.

Thank you,

Burn1nator

Old 05-29-2013, 10:43 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Some dealers vary, but brakes all the way around will probably set you back $500 - $800, more if you need rotors.

2. Key is about $250, takes several days to get, and they need to be programmed to your vehicle, which is extra. Need Land Rover specific laptop/diagnostic tool (0.5hr - 1hr labor dependant on where you go)

3. Depends on what's wrong with the sunroof. Could be a blown fuse, could be a blown glass motor. Get it diagnosed first.

4. Rear tailgate trim panel has to be removed to access the subwoofer, which isn't a big deal. Not sure how much the cost is though.

5. If you want to play with the big boys, you better be prepared. Land Rovers aren't cheap. Try to find a good independent, or be prepared to pay premium $$$$ for the dealer.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here's the maintenance list, so you can price out what will be done from time to time. Note that the front differential and such needs the oil changed more frequently than the factory advises. The service list is built for leased vehicles, pushing repair costs on to next owner.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
maintenance schedules.pdf (544.6 KB, 199 views)
File Type: pdf
Rear Door Trim Panel Removal.pdf (165.3 KB, 132 views)
Old 05-30-2013, 02:22 AM
4wd Low

Thx for the replys and info.

Hey Ca Rovertech, how much more or less from a Mercedez Benz ML 350? My wife has that car and we take it to the dealership for service since we got extended warranty. We just changed the back brakes with rotors and it was around 600. The front ones were close to 1k. Service is around 500.

I just want to get an idea. I would really only drive it on city and not put much stress on the car since i am disabled and need a tall car. I had a prius for 3 years and only put 20k miles. So this car would not see much use too. I love the car, the space and all the functions if i ever need it.

I am forced to upgrade to a tall car since a small car like my prius would hurt my back from bending and getting in the car and with my kids. if i am gonna get an SUV i want to get one that i really like.

Thx

Old 05-30-2013, 08:53 AM
Drifting

Brakes with rotors all around would probably be somewhere in that neighborhood, maybe a bit less than the Benz. Major services, such as the 60,000 and 75,000 mile services, would be between $500 - $1000. It all depends on where you go. The routine oil change (5000 - 7500 miles) is much less, around $80- $120.

I'll attempt to get you more accurate pricing later and post some ballpark figures for the repairs you mentioned.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Drifting

Yea brake and service pricing is pretty much what I mentioned. Not sure how it compares to Benz, I'm not familiar with their pricing or repair costs. LR3's are good vehicles if you maintain them properly. Much less MPG than the Prius however.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:12 PM
4wd Low

Thx for the reply's!

So i am guessing that after i get it, with 55k miles on it, in the next 5k miles i will need oil change and 60k service (ouch) I will try to get the dealership that i am buying it from to take care of the breaks or discount the price and ill take care of it elsewhere.

I really dont know why people tell me they are terrible cars to have. They cant be that bad when it comes to repairs unless you are an idiot and dont maintain your cars and just try to run them on oil and water.

Thx for the great info guys.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

People are telling you that because, in my opinion and experience, Land Rovers do in fact require more care 'n feeding than other vehicles and parts/labor tend to cost more money. That is, say, compared to their Japanese and American counterparts. I would bet that all European autos are on the same playing field.

That said, the people that mention that to you probably don't use their Rover for what its purpose is, nor do they even know what it is. It's not an SUV. A Ford Escape is an SUV. A BMW X5 is a (really nice) SUV. A Land Rover is a bonafide 4x4. If a person owns it without ever really exploring its capabilities (yes I mean off-road, if even just for camping), then they will miss out on a HUGE part of the reason to even own it. They won't fall in love with it, and so, to them it's a huge cost with no reward.

Of course they would tell you to stay away. I actually tell people the same thing...unless they plan on really using it. The LR3 is high-maintenance, high-performance (off-road). Period.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:10 PM
4wd Low

Thx Houm_wa for the reply.

I do understand of the high-performance cost and i am willing to take care of that, even if i dont take my car off road. i love the car, the space, the specs, etc, etc. But, i do not want to buy a car that will break down often for no stupid reason and parts just going bad in such short life of the car.

I guess that is my question, will i be replacing parts left and right even while maintaining my LR3 in top notch and without putting so much stress on the car?

Thx

Old 05-30-2013, 06:48 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Brake Pads & Rotors are under $500 if you do them yourself. Not a bad job at all. I suggest you get the stock oem rotors and akebono brake pads. No dust and no squealing. Good deal on Amazon. My 2 cents

Quick Reply: New Guy! Soon to be a proud owner of an LR3 looking for advice!!!!!