LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hub Bearing Assembly is Whining?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 03:19 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Hub Bearing Assembly is Whining?

2005 LR3 - V8 SE 176K Miles

Hey ya'll I just replaced the front hub assembly on my passenger side. It took some muscle but the process was pretty straightforward. I put on the axle lock nut and but a crimp in it with a diamond chisel as it is recommended. Its a brand new hub assembly I bought off Atlantic British, there was no play with the wheel after I installed and put everything back in place. Now, as I go any speed over 15mph there is a high pitched whining sound. It is not very loud and you have to be listening for it but it gets worse at higher speeds. I have jacked up the front side, still no play on the wheel, and the hub assembly and brake was all re-installed correctly from what I can see. I also bled the brake on the front side in case some air may have gotten in when I took it off. That still did not solve the problem.

Has anyone ran into this problem or if you know more about bearings than me (read:anyone), is there something I should be doing or trying to get rid of the sound?

Old 09-15-2020, 04:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts
Default Front diff??

How high is "high" pitched?

Old 09-15-2020, 06:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

What setting did you torque to? The original value was very high and was lowered after (?) a while. However, it shouldn't whine.

I had rumble at the front a couple of years ago on mine and the only way I could eventually find the fault was to put it on a pillar lift and have someone run the vehicle then walk around underneath listening. It was a bad hub that had - allegedly - been replaced by the PO only 20K miles before. Timken are the way to go with hubs in my opinion. I'm sure AB only sell good stuff, but there are some cheap and nasty options out there on the interweb.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

Timken was OEM. I put new Timkens on mine, both fronts, and they are holding up great.

I would remove the hub and inspect the seals. I would be shocked if a seal blew, but its the only thing I can think of that would go out of place and create a weird noise. Other than that I would take a look at the brake dust shield,

Old 09-16-2020, 01:51 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by houm_wa
How high is "high" pitched?
Not that high almost more of a whirring, it sounds like a bad bearing would sound but I know that is not the case. Brand new Timken and never made noise when I was rotating before.

Old 09-16-2020, 01:53 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by pagoda
What setting did you torque to? The original value was very high and was lowered after (?) a while. However, it shouldn't whine.

I had rumble at the front a couple of years ago on mine and the only way I could eventually find the fault was to put it on a pillar lift and have someone run the vehicle then walk around underneath listening. It was a bad hub that had - allegedly - been replaced by the PO only 20K miles before. Timken are the way to go with hubs in my opinion. I'm sure AB only sell good stuff, but there are some cheap and nasty options out there on the interweb.
I think this may be the problem. I did not have a torque wrench and just went as hard as possible manually. I guess that is a rookie move but that is reflective of my DIY capabilities. I am going to take it in tomorrow and talk to them about the torque on the bolts. Ill keep everyone updated, its a new Timken so I think its technician error.

Old 09-16-2020, 05:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by stephenpark4
I think this may be the problem. I did not have a torque wrench and just went as hard as possible manually. I guess that is a rookie move but that is reflective of my DIY capabilities. I am going to take it in tomorrow and talk to them about the torque on the bolts. Ill keep everyone updated, its a new Timken so I think its technician error.
The original torque setting was a whopping 350NM, revised to 230NM. Hope that solves the problem.