LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Land Rovers and the one I have wont move

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 06:05 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Land Rovers and the one I have wont move

Alright, I am new to Land Rovers. While browsing an auction sight I saw a 2006 LR3 SE V6 that looked nice. I did not read any description and just placed a $100 bid above where it was currently at. Well, I now have me a 2006 LR3 SE V6. I received it this evening, and on the windshield it says "air bags, drive shaft, axle?" It wont go in to gear. I am thinking transmission. When I try to put it in drive it makes a sound but nothing is engaging. The engine starts and runs great. It just wont engage. Does anybody have a starting point? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Check to make sure i has driveshafts or axles. it could also be a dead transfer case

When you move the shifter on the instrument cluster does the it change from park reverse drive etc? Any warning lights on or messages?

Last edited by ArmyRover; 10-30-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:05 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Check to make sure i has driveshafts or axles. it could also be a dead transfer case

When you move the shifter on the instrument cluster does the it change from park reverse drive etc? Any warning lights on or messages?

yes it shows shows up on the display when I move through gears. The error message on the display says “transmission fault Limited gears available”. The Hi Lo lights by the shifter are blinking.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

the hi low lights is the transfer case range switch. Don't suppose you have a gap tool or similar? We need pull codes to see what the system is telling us

Old 10-30-2018, 07:12 PM
Drifting

Hi Lo lights blink

Display states “transmission fault limitid gears available”.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:15 PM
Drifting

Will this get the job done?

Never Mind. It looks like I need this Click Me Will it work with iPhone 6s?

Last edited by livfreely; 10-30-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

wow you have a lot going on.

OK first link to walmart will not do you any real good. The second link is what you want and it will work with the iphone

Old 10-30-2018, 08:34 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
wow you have a lot going on.

OK first link to walmart will not do you any real good. The second link is what you want and it will work with the iphone
Oh yes I do! As you can see it has 108,565 miles on it so It might be worth pouring some funds into her. I am already in too much to take a loss. So I have decided to just make it my off road vehicle/toy. This will be a long process, but I would like to get her road worthy. I will invest in the GAP tool. A part of me just wants to have it towed to the dealership in Nashville just to "rip" the band aid off to see just how bad she is.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Lol get the gap tool it will pay off. Both if of mine are over 150k and going strong.

I almost wonder if it's the transfer case module. Behind the battery up by the firewall is a silver module with three connectors. Pull them loose and look for corrosion. If it's there pic up some electrical connection cleaner and a soft bristle toothbrush to clean it up cost it with dielectric grease reconnect. Than do a hard reset and give it a go

Old 10-30-2018, 08:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by livfreely
Oh yes I do! As you can see it has 108,565 miles on it so It might be worth pouring some funds into her. I am already in too much to take a loss. So I have decided to just make it my off road vehicle/toy. This will be a long process, but I would like to get her road worthy. I will invest in the GAP tool. A part of me just wants to have it towed to the dealership in Nashville just to "rip" the band aid off to see just how bad she is.
I’m in Nashville as well and would not recomment the dealer. There are a few indy shops around that would likely be your best bet. The folks on this forum are far more educated than any shop. Let them help first and go from there.

Quick Reply: New to Land Rovers and the one I have wont move