LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LR3 Owner...needs some work...(rolls up sleeves)..heat would be nice.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:44 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New LR3 Owner...needs some work...(rolls up sleeves)..heat would be nice.

Hi All -

I have a LR3 now - because I'm a glutton for LR punishment.

I'm just working through it's various issues and problems and I'll be turning to the forum for help. One - right off the bat that needs to be looked at it the heat. It's pretty cold in this this part of the world ATM (strangely) so heat would be nice.

I've searched this forum and there have been some answers - re: heater core, blower motor, blend motor - enough to make my head spin.

Here's the not uncommon issue:

Heat on the passenger side, cool air on the drivers side. I've tried the reset (with the Econ button) etc. and the heat one side/cool the other.

So this is what I've got:

cold drivers side/Hot passenger

When I turn the passenger side cold and the drivers hot, I don't think there's a difference. The passenger side still seems warm and the drivers cold. When I turn them both cold, they pretty much stay the same.

Further more, I can't get the rear control to work (the one between sunroofs). Am I missing something there? I'm assuming its supposed to be lit for the back to see. But it's not.

Help?

Old 02-13-2019, 07:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

for the back seat controls, make sure you have them turned on up front.

There's a button on the bottom row right end of the HVAC controls (looks like the rear half of the LR3 with 2 small lights).

The lights mean:

no lights = no air to the rear
top light lit = rear hvac blows the same temp/speed as the front settings
bottom light lit = rear hvac controls are enabled and can have different settings from the front

Old 02-13-2019, 09:27 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR3 Cold drivers side - Hot passenger

I had the driver's side cold issue, a real problem in stormy Tahoe, the heated windshield couldn't keep defrosted by itself, cold toes too.

Dean, the Independent LR tech in Rocklin, CA, popped my heater hoses and filled the core with Calcium Lime Rust Remover and let it set for 24hrs, all working as it should now.

ps: is there a way to extend the heated windshield timeout?

Originally Posted by Philip Chan
Here's the not uncommon issue:
Heat on the passenger side, cool air on the drivers side. I've tried the reset (with the Econ button) etc. and the heat one side/cool the other. cold drivers side/Hot passenger
Help?

Last edited by patski; 02-13-2019 at 09:38 AM. Reason: more descriptive title
Old 02-13-2019, 05:58 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Blackngold77
for the back seat controls, make sure you have them turned on up front.

There's a button on the bottom row right end of the HVAC controls (looks like the rear half of the LR3 with 2 small lights).

The lights mean:

no lights = no air to the rear
top light lit = rear hvac blows the same temp/speed as the front settings
bottom light lit = rear hvac controls are enabled and can have different settings from the front

Thanks! I guess if the bottom light is lit and there is no control over the rear HVAC from the rear something is askew.

Any ideas as to what? Fuse? Connector? Splice that has gone bad?

Old 02-13-2019, 05:59 PM
Mudding

Great....so how to get the CLR into the heater core? and how to flush it out?

Old 02-14-2019, 11:38 AM
Mudding

Thinking about this - before I jump in and flush/replace the heater core:

1) I get no cold air to the passenger side, when turned down to a lower colder temp.
2) I get warm air to the passenger side, but I don't know how much "hotter" it gets
3) I get Warm-ish air to the far drivers side vent (although not hot, just "Warm")
4) I get cold air to the footwell and the middle drivers vent.

Does this point to a blender door issue or a core issue or both?

Old 02-14-2019, 11:39 AM
Mudding

Oh - and with the rear - no joy to the vents on the side - however the heater in the rear kicks in - but is not very hot.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:24 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

You should check for blend door motor codes.

You can use some clear tubing to slide over the heater core pipes and then attach a funnel and pour in CLR.

There is a heater core flush nozzle made by OEM parts that can work on the end of a hose, or MAC makes a nice unit that hooks up to a hose and compressed air and allows you to pull the trigger to add the air in spurts which has a Venturi.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:17 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by abran
You should check for blend door motor codes.

You can use some clear tubing to slide over the heater core pipes and then attach a funnel and pour in CLR.

There is a heater core flush nozzle made by OEM parts that can work on the end of a hose, or MAC makes a nice unit that hooks up to a hose and compressed air and allows you to pull the trigger to add the air in spurts which has a Venturi.
what codes specifically?

I have these pop up and believe the first on relates to a heater issue?
  1. U0424-68
  2. c1 A00-88
  3. U0128-87

as for the clr....would it be best to pour in then use a pump (like a drill pump) to circulate?

Old 02-14-2019, 06:38 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

If yo don't have a land rover specific reader, it won't give you the blend door codes.

The earlier poster said they left the CLR in for 24, so That should work. Then flush with water.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New LR3 Owner...needs some work...(rolls up sleeves)..heat would be nice.