LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New "to me" LR3 - Module communications issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 12:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default New "to me" LR3 - Module communications issue

Hey All,

I recently picked up a 2005 LR3 HSE with 108k and $3,500 of recent top end work. Truck looks great and has had a little bit of work done to it. i.e. Coil conversion, bigger tires, rock sliders and roof rack. Engine compartment is spotless and engine runs like a sewing machine. I purchased this knowing the inside got wet, which is why it was being sold. I figured the price was good for how it looked and ran and decided I would give it a go.

I found the leak was due to sunroof drain tube grommet falling apart and leaking directly on the drivers side floor. After researching other possible issues with water on this forum, I decided to eliminate all possibilities and replaced the sunroof drain tubes, a-pillar clips and even the cowl. Pulled the seats and let it air out for days. I have confirmed I am getting no more water in the vehicle so now it's time to resolve the DTCs. I have already replaced the Transfer Case Module, as that had gotten wet and was corroded. I also replaced the brake switch as preventive maintenance.

There are a couple issues right now that I am trying to resolve.

1st is an amber brake light and the DSC light coming on. This happens within 1/8 mile of driving. The driver front wheel sounds like its grinding (abs type sound) and the DSC light flashes. After doing this a couple times the DSC light stays lit and the amber brake lights turns on. Transmission will not shift out of 3rd unless I'm in manual shift mode.

I believe this is related to the steering angle sensor needing to be recalibrated, as it shows 140 degrees with the wheels pointing straight. I have an alignment scheduled for first thing on Monday. The shop said they can recalibrate the sensor so we'll see if that is truly the problem. I did verify the sensor is giving readings as I turn the wheel from side to side.

2nd, and what I need help on the most is that when I go to scan some of the specific modules with my Autoenginuity Scanner, I get communications failures. The modules that won't connect are: 1.Enhanced Powertrain CAN (this works most of the time, but sometimes give the communications error), 2. Tire Pressure Monitor Module MCAN, this doesn't work for me at all, 3. BCM MCAN, this also doesn't work at all.

The other modules I can pull up, read codes, view live data, etc.. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction as to what the underlying issue could be. I'm guessing either a bad connection/corrosion at one module that may be a pass thru to other modules???

Does anyone have a diagram that shows how the CAN network(s) is/are connected to the different modules?

Thanks in advance...

Old 03-10-2017, 01:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Wow this is an interesting one to me. Did you put the coil conversion in yourself or was that the PO's doing? What about the sliders and tires?

Old 03-10-2017, 03:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

I agree with your DSC braking thing diagnosis. My calibration was a bit off but recalibrated with the GAP tool and it stopped doing that (my DSC light flashed and activated the brakes in harder turns, typically freeway clover leafs).

As for your CANBUS issues, if the carpet got wet maybe the amp did too. If I remember right the AMP also serves as one of the major CANBUS hubs. Amp is right under the front passenger seat

Old 03-10-2017, 04:39 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Wow this is an interesting one to me. Did you put the coil conversion in yourself or was that the PO's doing? What about the sliders and tires?
Everything was done by previous owner. Coils/Strut kit is from Atlantic British. The sliders look great and are barely noticeable. Tires are new Nitto Terra Grappler G2s I believe.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:47 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by DavC
I agree with your DSC braking thing diagnosis. My calibration was a bit off but recalibrated with the GAP tool and it stopped doing that (my DSC light flashed and activated the brakes in harder turns, typically freeway clover leafs).

As for your CANBUS issues, if the carpet got wet maybe the amp did too. If I remember right the AMP also serves as one of the major CANBUS hubs. Amp is right under the front passenger seat
I'm hoping the calibration resolves that too. Hard to believe it could be 140 degrees off, but I believe this truck has been sitting a while. Maybe that has something to do with it resetting or something.

I didn't really check the amp for corrosion, but that is a definite possibility now that you mention it. I'll give that a good once over and see if that helps. The passenger side had some water as well. I figured the am was OK as the stereo works great. Didn't realize that is potentially a hub for other connections.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:27 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

I had one that the PO had cleaned the engine bay and got water behind the battery. I was getting random no starts and transmission faults.

there was a crazy amount of codes, but one consistent theme was no communication with engine ECU(PCU).

after buying a new PCU and it not solving the problem, I traced it to the battery ground cable. The vent tube on the battery was hooked to the battery but venting directly at the back of the battery, not outside. I believe that the battery acid fumes had settled on the cable and when the PO hosed it down it activated the acid and corroded the cable.

worth a try. Good luck

Old 03-11-2017, 07:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

It sounds like you have a classic case of "dip$hit previous owner." I'm not sure why someone would put on bigger tires (for off-roading) and add sliders while removing the EAS. I digress...

If the interior is wet that is a place to start. I have to wonder if the coil-conversion is causing some of the DSC instances...is the coil-conversion installed such that it "quiets" the faults and such? I think there was a 2nd version available or a way of installing that was supposed to take care of any inadvertent instances of electronic indications...but with bigger tires too, who knows???

You have a lot of variables to de-couple, rack-o-lamb. I tell ya what though...I could use a good rack of lamb right now...with some mint jelly on the side. Yum!

Old 03-12-2017, 10:33 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Thought I would add that you mention you had to change the transfer case module, so water must have gotten behind the battery as well as in the interior.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:05 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by houm_wa
It sounds like you have a classic case of "dip$hit previous owner." I'm not sure why someone would put on bigger tires (for off-roading) and add sliders while removing the EAS. I digress...

If the interior is wet that is a place to start. I have to wonder if the coil-conversion is causing some of the DSC instances...is the coil-conversion installed such that it "quiets" the faults and such? I think there was a 2nd version available or a way of installing that was supposed to take care of any inadvertent instances of electronic indications...but with bigger tires too, who knows???

You have a lot of variables to de-couple, rack-o-lamb. I tell ya what though...I could use a good rack of lamb right now...with some mint jelly on the side. Yum!
The coil conversion looks like it was done correctly and it has the add-on module to fool the computer. I'm a little worried that the larger tires may cause issues as well, but I need to wait and see about the alignment first before worrying about that.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:07 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by abran
I had one that the PO had cleaned the engine bay and got water behind the battery. I was getting random no starts and transmission faults.

there was a crazy amount of codes, but one consistent theme was no communication with engine ECU(PCU).

after buying a new PCU and it not solving the problem, I traced it to the battery ground cable. The vent tube on the battery was hooked to the battery but venting directly at the back of the battery, not outside. I believe that the battery acid fumes had settled on the cable and when the PO hosed it down it activated the acid and corroded the cable.

worth a try. Good luck
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a good look at the battery cable as well.

Quick Reply: New "to me" LR3 - Module communications issue