LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Problem; Need Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

I can't exactly put it on the alignment rack until I can correctly install the swaybar end link and re-enable EAS, right? I had an e-mail conversation with a member on another forum that went through the exact same scenario, including the broken link, the dented air shock and the upper control arm touching the sensor when on a lift. In his case it turned out to be an internal failure in the air strut. When the air strut fails, wheel travel is no longer limited (or less limited at least) such that contact is allowed between the shock and the upper control arm. Also, in some cases, particularly when off-roading, this could result in the breakging of the end link, too. If wheel travel is not being limited, the upper control arm will push on that end link and between that pushing and the connection it has to the sway bar itself, that link is being put in compression. ...with enough forces and off-axis components to those forces, it buckled, bulged and snapped.

From a "how it happened" standpoint that is the only thing that make sense. I know how I drive (off-road) and I know what I've driven over recently. There simply was no impact on any obstacle that could've caused bending/twisting of beefier suspension components. The scenario above makes the most sense and is consistent with what I experienced.

Last edited by houm_wa; 05-02-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

UPDATE: Air shock replaced, much improvement now but sensor in that corner wouldn't calibrate. New sensor installed; ride looks even more level, and apparently got farther along in the calibration process but still failed to take a full cal.
Any of you techs out there have an idea of what to do next? What could cause a new sensor to not calibrate? Remember that the EAS red-faulted on me and was at bumpstops. It has not had much time to "think" for itself since getting the fuses put back in, either.
Hard reset? Drive it around a bit? Flatten and reload software?
??
Thanks in advance,
Houm