LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to this site LR3 opportunity, need feedback.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 08:26 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New to this site LR3 opportunity, need feedback.

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2005 LR3 SE with 106K miles and I wanted to get some feedback. From what I've read, the Rovers have been known to have "issues" and can be expensive to operate, but I can not help myself. This is a beautiful SUV with great features. I'm wondering what kind of issues I can expect. Maybe even avoid before they become an unexpected expense!

Ideas, thoughts,etc are very welcome!

Old 02-23-2015, 03:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

First off, run the VIN and make sure it has a spotless maintenance record. SPOTLESS!!! A good owner makes the difference. If you live near a dealership take it to their service department and have them run a pre-purchase inspection ($280 at mine).

>front lower control arms
>differentials, front usually goes bad first (they make noise)
>make sure air suspension works quickly and doesn't leak, this may involve observing it overnight.
>ensure it shifts cleanly
>windshield cowl can "cup" after years of exposure, can and will cause leakage into HVAC system. (replacement part is about $90)
>check sunroof doesn't leak
>oil dipstick should be clean, any blackening means they ran with too little oil and burned some.

IMO try to go for an 06 or later, they worked out more kinks with those. I have an 06, bought with 73k and it still had a few issues. That being said I really like that the early models have less bells and whistles.

What to expect:

>more expensive oil changes, it uses 8.1 qts
>eats brakes/rotors faster
>eats tires faster
>control arms take more abuse from weight
>if you don't ensure the roof/windshield drains correctly you WILL have leaks
>differentials usually go bad
>transmission service can be an issue
>11mpg in the city, but you might manage 25 on the highway at some speeds (premium gas only!)
>air suspension can be a problem, leaks, compressor failure, etc.
>if brake light switch goes bad your dash will look like a christmas tree, keep a spare.
>You'll want a diagnostic tool to clear codes
>Labor costs are the biggest thing for these, but they're not terribly difficult to work on.

Last edited by DavC; 02-23-2015 at 03:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Linebacker (02-24-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 03:39 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

See my post: click here. I recently purchased a 2006 with the same mileage. The previous owner put $15k into it in the last 9 months. See the post for copies of the service invoices. If you can work on the car yourself and source the parts from third parties everything he had done probably would have only been $3k or so in parts.

As stated above, I'm getting 11mpg in the city.

You should budget a good scan tool (GAP IIDTool or simlar) or be at the mercy of dealer.

What's the asking price? What part of the world?

Linebacker (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 07:47 AM
Drifting

Thank you for your input Dav! Well, I could have purchased the 06 but I noticed there was a 05 not to far away for $1000 less, more options, and 5K less miles. So I passed on the 06 in hopes that the 05 will be a better fit. Your list of things is quit scary, however, it gave me lots to consider. Thanks.

What types of failures have left you stranded? Those are the one's that concern me. If the car still drives but has issues, I can deal with that but the failures that leave you on the side of the road. Those I can't have. I need a steady car.

I don't mind getting my hands dirty! That part I kind of look forward too.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:48 AM
Drifting

I'm in Wisconsin, close to Chicago. I passed on the 06 because I found an 05 with more options, less miles and 1K cheaper. Plus I like the color.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

You can be stranded by electrical issues cause they tend to trip a fault that drops the suspension and disables the transmission from shifting , this plus a quiet exhaust and person not paying attention to what the car is telling them on the dash can cause people to keep driving and over rev the engine and cause engine damage

The dumbest things can cause it, faulty sensor , failed wire harness splice that got wet from clogged sunroof drains etc.

We had this happen, cleared codes and never returned again so...

Linebacker (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 10:24 AM
Drifting

Thank you so much for your input. Well last night I pulled the trigger. I am a proud owner of a 2005 LR3. I can't wait for the next snow fall to see how it handles. I have to admit, I love it, but I'm nervous and pray I don't get a lemon. I've already found a indy. And I have to purchase a hitch cover. I will use the list you provided me to slowly, proactively keep it in check. First thing belt and drainage.

Can someone point out where the drainage points are?

Old 02-25-2015, 05:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Linebacker
Thank you for your input Dav! Well, I could have purchased the 06 but I noticed there was a 05 not to far away for $1000 less, more options, and 5K less miles. So I passed on the 06 in hopes that the 05 will be a better fit. Your list of things is quit scary, however, it gave me lots to consider. Thanks.

What types of failures have left you stranded? Those are the one's that concern me. If the car still drives but has issues, I can deal with that but the failures that leave you on the side of the road. Those I can't have. I need a steady car.

I don't mind getting my hands dirty! That part I kind of look forward too.
My 3 has thus far never left me stranded, despite several long trips. I tried to list all the issues I could think of, not ones that I have had personally. Now I carry spare belts (mine are slowly needing replacement), extra oil (just in case) and a spare brake light switch. Basically just keep a close eye on anything that goes bad, if you're careful this thing won't let you down. Always a safe bet to have spares/tools with you 24/7

Congrats on being a new owner! If you haven't already you might want a LR tech do an inspection, if they're nice they can give you a heads up on what needs attention.

Last edited by DavC; 02-25-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Look in the tech section there's pics

Old 02-26-2015, 12:51 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts
Default Advice

Get an IIDTool and keep it in the jockey box. You'll almost never be left stranded with that thing handy ( I haven't in ten years).