LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rotor/pads - noise & heat ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 01:59 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rotor/pads - noise & heat ???

Swapped out the rotors and pads (set from Briitish Atlantic.) on my daughters '06 LR3 and bled the fluid as well.

Been maybe 300 miles - now I am noticing a sound that sounds like something rubbing the rotors - faint ringing.

Checked the rotors with the wheels on by dragging my fingers across them, looking for a groove - HOT. Shouldn't be this hot after 5-10 miles of driving.

Seems all four rotors are hot. The front more so.

I am a decent mechanic, followed all the how to's here and elsewhere. Everything seemed to go together well. Torqued everything appropriately. I made sure to center the metal clips so as not to rub the rotors.

Looking for advice from anyone who has been here already before I pull the wheels and inspect everything. Could this be normal break in period?

Thanks.

Last edited by bhmav8r; 02-23-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:33 PM
Winching
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bhmav8r
I made sure to center the metal clips so as not to rub the rotors.
What clip do you mean?

Ever since I bought mine last year it's had a similar "ringing" or "scraping" sound like you describe. I thought it was a diff but the mechanic said it was likely just the brake pads scraping the rotors. Both have plenty of life left. So I'm also interested in any solutions you may find!

Also, heat after 5-10 miles is not unusual depending on how much braking was done. These trucks are heavy and the brakes do a lot of work.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:41 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

permatex makes a brake pad adhesive, that i have always used with good luck.
basically its a very high heat silicone you spread on the back of the pads, it act as a buffer between the pads and the caliper pistons to keep the pad from raddleing and squeeking. jmho

Old 02-25-2016, 08:15 AM
Overlanding

Is the downhill assist via the breaks?

I had her drive the car by me both ways at about 20mph and did not here any significant break noise. Am now thinking that the heat may be about right for a 6000lb vehicle.

Still going to inspect the breaks though. Make sure nothing is rubbing or in a bind. Also maybe drive for a stretch that doesn't require breaking and coast uphill to a stop and then feel the rotors for heat.

Thanks for the responses.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

I would be inclined to say that it might be your parking brake shoes rubbing, but you said all 4 rotors are hot, so that's probably not it. How many miles are on the truck? Did you regrease/relube the caliper pins when you changed the pads? It could be that they calipers just aren't sliding quite as smoothly as they used to. You might be able to minimize this by relubing the pins, but an almost 3T vehicle will definitely put out a lot of heat with the shortest of braking distances even if everything is functioning properly.

And if you're asking about HDC (hill descent control), then yes, it's handled by the braking system - it just applies the brakes automatically and uses the readings from the ABS sensors at each wheel to determine when the brakes need to be modulated to keep the truck under a certain speed while preventing it from sliding.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:07 PM
Overlanding

I drove the car about 10 mile today without using the breaks and the rotors were not even warm to the touch - so I think everything is OK and nothing is rubbing.
I did not grease the caliper pins, but I will next time - thanks.

I think I was being overly cautious since it is my daughters car.
Thanks again for the feedback.